Yamaha Owners’ Thread (AVR, Pre-pro, Amp)

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
The amp looks cool. :)
Do you have any songs stored on your iPad or phone?

Did you ever try steaming from your iPad or phone directly to the Yamaha using MusicCast?

You mentioned Pandora. What are all the streaming apps you used?

I’ve only used MusicCast to stream from my iPad and Phone directly to my Yamaha . And it’s been flawless 100% of the time.

I stream from my iPad most of the time (Pandora, Amazon Music and Spotify) mostly from MusicCast. The RX A3080 did it at ALL times. Not just streaming but TV and Blue Ray did it. I tried many different settings and Yamaha support. Nothing helped.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
We talked a little bit about using YPAO, which I prefer to Bypass and use the THROUGH mode. Others may prefer to use YPAO or manual EQ.

What are you guys using for sound/surround/DSP modes for movies and music?

Personally, this is what I use:

Atmos movies: STRAIGHT or Dolby Surround (will call DSU)

DSTX movies: STRAIGHT or DTS Neural:X (will call DTSNX)

Dolby Digital/Doby Digital Plus/Dolby TrueHD: DSU

DTS/DTS-HDMA: DTSNX

2Ch PCM or AAC movies: DSU

2Ch Music: DSU - Center Spread "On" didn't make a big difference to me, so I kept it at default "Off"

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I like the amp's facia, the preamp, not as much. Probably not common for people in this thread, but I find Yamaha's thin straight "knobs" a little strange.

It just always struck me as different for difference sake, when the function is a rotary switch the knob should reflect that. For example the rotary switches on the Power Amp, they retain the design language but clearly indicate a rotary function at the same time.

It's probably just the Fine Arts Major in me, little things like that get my attention. But I can see that design must be more expensive, requiring a machined rotary divot in the face, and probably a thicker faceplate to boot, so I understand why it is the way it is on preamps.

It's not enough to keep a Yamaha preamp out of my house, there are plenty of uglier audio devices in the market, it's just a quirk that I wish was different. The Power Amp to my eye is better looking.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Yamaha Remote Control App for iOS and Android - AV Controller.

This is unequivocally the best AVR remote app compared to everything else I've used.

Amazingly it works 100% for both my iPad and Android phone.

If the Center Speaker Dialogue Level is too low, I can easily boost the Dialogue Level on the remote app without having to go into any Menus or Submenus.

If the Subwoofer Trim Level is too low or too high, I can easily adjust the Subwoofer level on the remote app without having to go into any Menus or Submenus.

Just wanted to add that your tv and Blu-ray and streamer etc may also have controller apps so try those as well. (Past 4 or 5 years is where this became possible, not before that).

For example in one room I have my Yamaha AVR and my TV is Samsung and UHD player is Sony and I have Apple TV and TiVo. All of these have phone controller apps. My phone can control it all since I have strong WiFi to all of these devices. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
When I had the Pioneer AX10 it was probably the first iteration of the MDACC and it kept all the speakers at the same crossover and had only a global set 5 or 7 eq bands. End result was less than stellar and I found it rolled off the top way to much, as did the THX modes. Not something I like.

YPAO IMO works fairly well without imposing too much on the sound. I have listened to it with and without, and it is not earth shatteringly different, but I think it does even out the front 3. :)

For sound it is Straight for the Atmos/Dts:X, other films it has mostly been Neural X but DSU works just as well. Music for the most part is Straight or Pure Direct, although there are a few albums where DSU can work very well. Eivor's Slor or pretty much any of the Dead can Dance.

D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Hi. I started a Cheapo third system basement 3.1 last month and being an invertebrate audiophile, I already realized I can’t live with some of the limitations of my rx683 AVR.
Performance wise and sound wise think this AVR is really stellar. I also love the music cast system but would like to find a Yamaha AVR which has these three features

1) multi preamp outs so I can add an amp
2) multicast surround for rears
3) the ability to set two “sceane” or other preset function with different crossover levels. I.e one for music at 40 and one for TV movies at 60-80

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I believe the music cast surround feature may only be available on one of the brand new aces unless this feature can be added via firm ware

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi. I started a Cheapo third system basement 3.1 last month and being an invertebrate audiophile, I already realized I can’t live with some of the limitations of my rx683 AVR.
Performance wise and sound wise think this AVR is really stellar. I also love the music cast system but would like to find a Yamaha AVR which has these three features

1) multi preamp outs so I can add an amp
2) multicast surround for rears
3) the ability to set two “sceane” or other preset function with different crossover levels. I.e one for music at 40 and one for TV movies at 60-80

Thanks in advance for any assistance. I believe the music cast surround feature may only be available on one of the brand new aces unless this feature can be added via firm ware
1. For Pre-outs, you would need at least the A800 series (RX-A880) or higher.
2. MusicCast Surround for Rears? You mean Wireless Surround speakers and subwoofer for Rears? I think all the new models like the RX-A880 has this capability.

3. I don't know about setting different XO points.

D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Acu- thanks for the reply. Sorry if my post was not written well. I did it on my commuter train this am.
Yes to wireless surround speakers. (dont need wireless sub) -Ideally the smaller Yamaha music casts or one of the larger one. I have an impossible room and running wires would be nightmare

I will check out the RX880.

What i really need is an affordable yamaha processor with the features listed...but dont know if can drop 1500 right now. I only need 5.1 and have no interest in atmos...

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Acu- thanks for the reply. Sorry if my post was not written well. I did it on my commuter train this am.
Yes to wireless surround speakers. (dont need wireless sub) -Ideally the smaller Yamaha music casts or one of the larger one. I have an impossible room and running wires would be nightmare

I will check out the RX880.

What i really need is an affordable yamaha processor with the features listed...but dont know if can drop 1500 right now. I only need 5.1 and have no interest in atmos...
Hey dude, NewEgg has the Yamaha A870 new for 499.00 check them out!

Mike

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm thinking it would be a good idea to remove the cover of my 5 year old RX-A1020 AVR and blow out the dust, dead bugs from inside. I will not use those canned liquid air dusters, I've got a non-chemical one like a mini-electric leaf blower. Should I use a anti-static wrist-strap like computer repair people use when working on IC's?

D

downbythepylons

Audioholic Intern
Apologies if this was discussed earlier but can’t seem to find it. On my rx683 do you need to set the eq to the desired setting (eg front) before running YPAO !

E

EBN

Audioholic
Apologies if this was discussed earlier but can’t seem to find it. On my rx683 do you need to set the eq to the desired setting (eg front) before running YPAO !
No! Make all the necessary changes after YPAO, including eq mode, speaker size, crossovers! And set the impedance to 8ohm always (with enough space for the receiver to "breath")!

Ataraxia

Ataraxia

Audioholic Intern
No! Make all the necessary changes after YPAO, including eq mode, speaker size, crossovers! And set the impedance to 8ohm always (with enough space for the receiver to "breath")!
I'm learning about the A2080 I'm demo-ing now and had a similar question.

So, just to be clear, after I run YPAO and save the settings, even if I then change my speakers to small and crossover to 80 HZ (YPAO always sets my KEF R3's to large, hence no sub which is Rythmik F12), AND change Parametric EQ to "Through" mode which sounds best to me, YPAO is STILL making room corrections prior to my manual changes?

In other words, I thought that if you manually change setting after saving the YPAO settings, then YPAO is not being used.. It sounds like I was mistaken how YPAO and then manual settings work together.

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I have finally seen something that makes me jealous of the A5200, and possibly some other current models. I found it in the AVS forums where there are a few owners of the new A5200. The setup now includes an EQ graph over all the speakers and individually when editing.:)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2597145-yamaha-cx-a5200-speculation-thread-15.html
Shame it not available as an update for the rest of us, even if it was on the app. As far as I was aware YPAO has not changed between the models.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
I have finally seen something that makes me jealous of the A5200, and possibly some other current models. I found it in the AVS forums where there are a few owners of the new A5200. The setup now includes an EQ graph over all the speakers and individually when editing.:)
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/2597145-yamaha-cx-a5200-speculation-thread-15.html
Shame it not available as an update for the rest of us, even if it was on the app. As far as I was aware YPAO has not changed between the models.
Hope it trickles down to the other models too. I’m likely to want to upgrade in a couple years to a 3000 series but not a 5000 series pre pro. :)

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
Now it's there I can't see them removing it. :) It looks cool if nothing else:cool:

Obviously with the 5200 it came in with the AI mode, but other models have this too, so the 3080 would be a fair bet. I'm surprised no one had mentioned it before, unless I missed it.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Now it's there I can't see them removing it. :) It looks cool if nothing else:cool:

Obviously with the 5200 it came in with the AI mode, but other models have this too, so the 3080 would be a fair bet. I'm surprised no one had mentioned it before, unless I missed it.
Ya ideally I would wait until 2021 but I would likely buy a 2020 model on clearance in fall 2021. I’m planning a TV upgrade to 75 or 82in if Seattle gets an NHL team on the ice in fall 2020 or 2021 and an AVR the following year. :)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm thinking it would be a good idea to remove the cover of my 5 year old RX-A1020 AVR and blow out the dust, dead bugs from inside. I will not use those canned liquid air dusters, I've got a non-chemical one like a mini-electric leaf blower. Should I use a anti-static wrist-strap like computer repair people use when working on IC's?
I don't think that's necessary unless you are going to be actually physically touching any part of the internals. If you're just blowing the dust with the blower without touching anything, should be just fine.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I'm learning about the A2080 I'm demo-ing now and had a similar question.

So, just to be clear, after I run YPAO and save the settings, even if I then change my speakers to small and crossover to 80 HZ (YPAO always sets my KEF R3's to large, hence no sub which is Rythmik F12), AND change Parametric EQ to "Through" mode which sounds best to me, YPAO is STILL making room corrections prior to my manual changes?

In other words, I thought that if you manually change setting after saving the YPAO settings, then YPAO is not being used.. It sounds like I was mistaken how YPAO and then manual settings work together.
If YPAO is set to "THROUGH", then YPAO is being bypassed or turned off completely, and you are not using any room EQ.

Set the DSP to "STRAIGHT", which is almost like DIRECT mode, except you get subwoofers (DIRECT mode does not allow subwoofers).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis