Yamaha NS-555 vs Magnat Tempus 77

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Currently i have Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. Want to buy floor standing speakers. Found available speakers in my country (Europe, Lithuania) at the price which i can allow to pay: Magnat Tempus 77 and Yamaha NS-555. My room is quite small, about 18 square meters. Here is the characteristics of the Amp and speakers:

Amplifier: Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD);
Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe) 95 W + 95 W.

Magnat Tempus 77: Power (nominal) 175W, 92dB, 8 Ohm, 250Er per piece.

Yamaha NS-555: Power (nominal) 100W, 6 Ohm, 300Eur per piece.

Can not decide which ones to buy. I have no possibility to listen them live. And i doubt if my amplifier will be able to drive fully Magnat speakers because they are 8 Ohm and 175W, but my amplifier will give only 50W at this load. Am i right?
Help me to decide.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most home speakers are 8 Ohm and receivers are designed with that in mind. As long as you aren't looking for very loud levels, I would expect it to handle either of those speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Currently i have Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. Want to buy floor standing speakers. Found available speakers in my country (Europe, Lithuania) at the price which i can allow to pay: Magnat Tempus 77 and Yamaha NS-555. My room is quite small, about 18 square meters. Here is the characteristics of the Amp and speakers:

Amplifier: Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD);

Can not decide which ones to buy. I have no possibility to listen them live. And i doubt if my amplifier will be able to drive fully Magnat speakers because they are 8 Ohm and 175W, but my amplifier will give only 50W at this load. Am i right?
Help me to decide.
I can't imagine either manufacturer designing these speakers wit a difficult load, pull the trigger on the features that you need

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Most home speakers are 8 Ohm and receivers are designed with that in mind. As long as you aren't looking for very loud levels, I would expect it to handle either of those speakers.
No, i do not need very loud levels because i live in the apartment building and i do not want to make my neighbors angry..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, i do not need very loud levels because i live in the apartment building and i do not want to make my neighbors angry..
Are you sure these are you only options. If they are, I would pick Yamaha. I have heard Yamaha before, but not those. I have to be honest and say that I have never heard a Yamaha speaker I personally could live with. Those Magnats have a particularly nasty look to them. I have looked at consumer reviews, which I put little confidence in, but about 30% of people who have bought them, rate them downright awful, which is not encouraging.

So I would say none of the above, unless you have absolutely no other choices.

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Today i have tested my amp with 8 Ohm 400 music power Radiotehnika speakers and i was surprised that even if i set amplifier's volume knob at 50% volume speakers play loudly enough! I doubt if i ever need more loudness in my current room.

Now when i know that my amplifier's power is more than enough to drive 8 Ohm speakers i am searching for used ones.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Help me to decide.
So you don’t have any popular American or European brands beside these two? Ouch .
Magnat Tempus 77 looks well built but I don’t know anything about them .

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Bought a pair of used Bowers and Wilkins used speakers instead, the model is DM603 S2. Price was 380Eur for a pair, condition is really good. Very happy with these speakers. They have very clear sound and some kind of softness. I have listened to the other speakers in the store but Bowers had something what made them sound
very nicely.

20240511_005623.jpg

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Bought a pair of used Bowers and Wilkins used speakers instead, the model is DM603 S2. Price was 380Eur for a pair, condition is really good. Very happy with these speakers. They have very clear sound and some kind of softness. I have listened to the other speakers in the store but Bowers had something what made them sound
very nicely.

View attachment 67489
Wow nice find , last used speakers I got here broke . But those are way better. Do they sound similar to Klipsch ? My towers are only 2 way …

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Wow nice find , last used speakers I got here broke . But those are way better. Do they sound similar to Klipsch ? My towers are only 2 way …
I have not tested any Klipsch speakers so i can not say if my speakers sound better or not. Bowers have a passive low frequency radiator ant this radiator works quite good. So my speakers are 2½-way. Though i am considering to buy subwoofer. Bowers produce enough bass for the rock music but for the dance music i would like to have more lower frequency bass.

compugrid@

compugrid@

Audiophyte
I have Tempus 77 Magnat for over 7 years now. I have had NS555 Yammies as a set with NS333 and Sub+ the center. I sold NS 555 within 2 months, NS 333 4-5 month later. They produce huge bright treble. After 1 hour listening one would get headache. I couldnt even keep NS333 as surrounds. Beside magnat i Have currently many pairs large speakers: Mordaunt S. MS 908, MS Mezzo 8, Boston VR2 , Paradigm monitor 7 V7 just a few to mention. The only close together in bass area are Tempus 77 and Boston VR2. Boston beats NS 555 any day in bass and mids. Tempus is not bright, proper 3ways. Powerful speakers. BUT placing is sensitive. I placed them close to wall on the sides of the room (coz i have 5 Pairs of large speakers) and they were very boomy , shaking all walls , doors and windows. i even thought to sell them. Then i Placed them at the front , away from wall - boom is gone! i listen them for rock and hip hop music all the time- no issues. Lv them. . Never again for NS555, and not NS 777- all are very bright and with bright amp Yamaha you will be turning the treble always to 0 or bellow while Bass to the max. It will unbalance image and mid part of freq. Very unbalanced speakers. I must agree there are some better speakers than magnat : KEF R11, New B&W (not the one mentioned here - not 603 S2, which are better than Yammie but not better than Magnat T77 ). Some Focals are just awesome !!! Some new 3 ways Focal are a must - my dream./ I havent swap my Magnat with KEF Q550 and Paradigm monitors 9 V6. Magnats are better IMO. Yummies NS 333, 555. 777 are NO GO!!! at least for me. And i have tried, owned and listened to much more speakers than i listed above.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis