Yamaha NS-555 vs Magnat Tempus 77

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Currently i have Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. Want to buy floor standing speakers. Found available speakers in my country (Europe, Lithuania) at the price which i can allow to pay: Magnat Tempus 77 and Yamaha NS-555. My room is quite small, about 18 square meters. Here is the characteristics of the Amp and speakers:

Amplifier: Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD);
Maximum Power (4 ohms, 1kHz, 0.7% THD, for Europe) 95 W + 95 W.

Magnat Tempus 77: Power (nominal) 175W, 92dB, 8 Ohm, 250Er per piece.

Yamaha NS-555: Power (nominal) 100W, 6 Ohm, 300Eur per piece.

Can not decide which ones to buy. I have no possibility to listen them live. And i doubt if my amplifier will be able to drive fully Magnat speakers because they are 8 Ohm and 175W, but my amplifier will give only 50W at this load. Am i right?
Help me to decide.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Most home speakers are 8 Ohm and receivers are designed with that in mind. As long as you aren't looking for very loud levels, I would expect it to handle either of those speakers.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Currently i have Yamaha A-S301 amplifier. Want to buy floor standing speakers. Found available speakers in my country (Europe, Lithuania) at the price which i can allow to pay: Magnat Tempus 77 and Yamaha NS-555. My room is quite small, about 18 square meters. Here is the characteristics of the Amp and speakers:

Amplifier: Minimum RMS Output Power (8 ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz) 60 W + 60 W (0.019% THD);

Can not decide which ones to buy. I have no possibility to listen them live. And i doubt if my amplifier will be able to drive fully Magnat speakers because they are 8 Ohm and 175W, but my amplifier will give only 50W at this load. Am i right?
Help me to decide.
I can't imagine either manufacturer designing these speakers wit a difficult load, pull the trigger on the features that you need

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Most home speakers are 8 Ohm and receivers are designed with that in mind. As long as you aren't looking for very loud levels, I would expect it to handle either of those speakers.
No, i do not need very loud levels because i live in the apartment building and i do not want to make my neighbors angry..

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
No, i do not need very loud levels because i live in the apartment building and i do not want to make my neighbors angry..
Are you sure these are you only options. If they are, I would pick Yamaha. I have heard Yamaha before, but not those. I have to be honest and say that I have never heard a Yamaha speaker I personally could live with. Those Magnats have a particularly nasty look to them. I have looked at consumer reviews, which I put little confidence in, but about 30% of people who have bought them, rate them downright awful, which is not encouraging.

So I would say none of the above, unless you have absolutely no other choices.

E

ecka333

Audiophyte
Today i have tested my amp with 8 Ohm 400 music power Radiotehnika speakers and i was surprised that even if i set amplifier's volume knob at 50% volume speakers play loudly enough! I doubt if i ever need more loudness in my current room.

Now when i know that my amplifier's power is more than enough to drive 8 Ohm speakers i am searching for used ones.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

Help me to decide.
So you don’t have any popular American or European brands beside these two? Ouch .
Magnat Tempus 77 looks well built but I don’t know anything about them .

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis