Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

TechHDS

Audioholic General
LOL, Wow....that is an absolute beast. Unless you are of the opinion that it is just plain better to separate processing and amplification, or you just want separates, it's easy to make a case for using something like this instead. I honestly wonder, in a blind listening test, how many here could actually tell the difference in sound between this and a separates system. That would be a fascinating experiment.

In fact, I think we should make it happen. Lets pick a central location that everybody can get to. Maybe somebody's house that has a great separates set-up. Then, somebody buy one of these...and we can all just sit around, drink a few beers and spend the day listening. Maybe we can get Gene to fund something like this :cool:.

Wouldn't that be a blast!!? Oh - and if we can determine a winner who can consistently identify the Denon....they get to take it home:)
Sooo, everyone at ADTG’s House!! :p.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
LOL, Wow....that is an absolute beast. Unless you are of the opinion that it is just plain better to separate processing and amplification, or you just want separates, it's easy to make a case for using something like this instead. I honestly wonder, in a blind listening test, how many here could actually tell the difference in sound between this and a separates system. That would be a fascinating experiment.

In fact, I think we should make it happen. Lets pick a central location that everybody can get to. Maybe somebody's house that has a great separates set-up. Then, somebody buy one of these...and we can all just sit around, drink a few beers and spend the day listening. Maybe we can get Gene to fund something like this :cool:.

Wouldn't that be a blast!!? Oh - and if we can determine a winner who can consistently identify the Denon....they get to take it home:)
Whoever pick that "central" location, don't forget the north of the border.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Looks like the A3080 on the inside , as for EMO not being liked, some do some don’t. I believe I read somewhere EMO tends to leave out important specs on their amps. Gene reviewed several of their amps back in the day and they tested out very well. I and many others own EMO amps. I also should mention I owned several other manufacturers amps like Carver, Adcom and Parrsound. The only thing I don’t like about EMO gear is the cheese, like why put aluminum bars on each side of the amps.
As I mentioned before, they seemed to have made their older models unnecessarily heavy. Al is not lead or steel, but still add weight.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
EverettT, I’ve never had a problem with any of Emotiva amps as for as reliability. As for the ones they sell now can’t say. Their 1st and 2nd gen amps are solid build, now as everyone who follows this technology knows that EMO made the power “switch“ thing plus their not as price friendly as they used to be. Their lower end amps are something I personally wouldn’t look at buying.

Mike
I've been to a couple if GTGs where Dan supplied amps and preamps, always was fun. I remember a few years back (12yrs or so) where there was an issue of no UL certification but hadn't heard of any others.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
After all it’s not like there’s a lot of moving parts on the inside.
Not moving parts. But if there's too many parts crammed inside, then it may be trouble.

After my $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI croaked after 8 YR and hearing MCode talk about Yamaha being #1 in reliability have made me think a little differently.

1. In terms of reliability, I think the salient thing is the layout design - how much CRAP are they cramming into the little box? If they horseshoe everything into the little chassis, bad things are bound to happen.

This goes for both Pre-pro and AVR. I know a lot of AVR that last 20 years, unlike my $7,500 Denon AVP-A1HDCI Pre-pro and Grassy's (another member here) AVP-A1HDCI that also croaked after about 8 YR.

So when I see something like the new Denon X8500, it reminds of the AVP-A1HDCI - too much crap crammed into the little box.

If Yamaha is indeed number 1 in reliability as MCode says, I hope the RX-A3080 doesn't have too much crap crammed inside.

It's ridiculous seeing such a mess like this Denon:

And then seeing something this clean from Bryston and ATI that look almost empty.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I've been to a couple if GTGs where Dan supplied amps and preamps, always was fun. I remember a few years back (12yrs or so) where there was an issue of no UL certification but hadn't heard of any others.
Never met Dan in person, had several chats with him on his site, dude is a straight shooter very likable guy. He did shake up the industry when he first started his company. Gotta say with Dan, Emotiva you never know what he’s got up his sleeve so to speak.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Separates? Come on. Just get this and be done with it. You'll like it.

One piece, internal fans, lots of power, lots of channels, lots of features, looks good, sounds good.

You're done. Enjoy.

One piece, but a MILLION parts all crammed/ horseshoed into a little box.

Although it does't seem to be as nasty as the insides of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. :D

I can see spending up to $2K on a flagship AVR.

But $4K on an AVR? Or $5K on some other AVR from Emotiva and other brands?

Separates go for $4 to 5K, some lower from Outlaw.

Anyway, this Separates vs AVR is pretty hot topic that follows almost every thread. :D

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Never met Dan in person, had several chats with him on his site, dude is a straight shooter very likable guy. He did shake up the industry when he first started his company. Gotta say with Dan, Emotiva you never know what he’s got up his sleeve so to speak.
Yeah, I thought he seems nice. I think the only issues I have with EMO include the blue cheese and aesthetics, the increased prices, and the name. :D

Why can't they just use a simple black chassis like ATI, Monoprice, Outlaw?

In terms of power and sound quality, I think EMO amps (especially 200WPC or higher) sound as good as any.

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Yeah, I thought he seems nice. I think the only issues I have with EMO include the blue cheese and aesthetics, the increased prices, and the name. :D

Why can't they just use a simple black chassis like ATI, Monoprice, Outlaw?

In terms of power and sound quality, I think EMO amps (especially 200WPC or higher) sound as good as any.
Yep, EMO had put out a 250 X 2 @ 8 Ohms amp looked really good, didn’t have the cheese on it had a nice clean look, sold out very quick than stop making it. Just like they did with their very successful 1st gen UPA line of amps.

Mike

TechHDS

Audioholic General
I wish Yamaha would go back to the yellow display, I have never liked the “green”’ hard to see from a distance. Pioneer AVR’s uses yellow, has some nice looking units I just can’t get past that class D amp thing just ugly in my book. Lol

Mike

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Gents, I know Gene will question 7 Ch test into 4 ohms or even 6 ohms. I found some done by Audiovision.de, have no idea how they did their tests, at what distortions etc., other than they use 1 kHz sine wave and one can reasonably assume they used regulator PS to hold the voltage at 230 V.

http://audiovision.de/category/tests/receiverundverstaerker/

Like the S&V measurements, D&M, Onkyo, and Yamaha AVRs seem as good as their (except Yamaha, they don't have comparable MCH amps) MCH amps. As expected, Onkyo AVR (the RZ1100 and RZ3100) rank top.., followed by Denon, Yamaha (virtually equal),the Marantz and Onkyo MCH power amp fought for the last positions.

Attachments

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord

One piece, but a MILLION parts all crammed/ horseshoed into a little box.

Although it does't seem to be as nasty as the insides of the Denon AVP-A1HDCI. :D
Do you agree it looks a little cleaner in terms of the layout than the RX-A3080, and Anthem, Arcam, Onkyo, and NAD's flagships?

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Do you agree it looks a little cleaner in terms of the layout than the RX-A3080, and Anthem, Arcam, Onkyo, and NAD's flagships?
I think it does, but the power supply looks smaller. :p . Just picking PENG! ;)

Mike

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
They all look horseshoed. Too many circuit boards and connections. Only way to know is to find out how many boards are actually HIDDEN under the top board.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
I wish Yamaha would go back to the yellow display, I have never liked the “green”’ hard to see from a distance. Pioneer AVR’s uses yellow, has some nice looking units I just can’t get past that class D amp thing just ugly in my book. Lol

Mike
My old Yamaha that I moved to the bedroom was an RX V2500 with the yellow display. I honestly thought I would miss it when I switched receivers. Maybe I did a little at first, but I got used to it and I don't miss the yellow anymore. That 2500 is built like a tank though.

little wing

little wing

Audioholic General
They all look horseshoed. Too many circuit boards and connections. Only way to know is to find out how many boards are actually HIDDEN under the top board.

That is a lot of stuff crammed into one box. That's the only thing that makes me nervous about receivers. So far so good with the 3060 though......fingers crossed.

F

FocusedOne

Audiophyte
Thanks for all the comments, really helpful.

The AVR I'm replacing is a Pioneer 94TXH - it made it 10 years! Still going strong, just wanting to update to add Atmos, modern connectivity, etc. And add power for more and bigger speakers - I've never given my towers anywhere close to the power they can handle.

I'm off of Emotiva and now taking a serious look at the Outlaw 7220 - it's 220W x 7 at about the same price point as the Emotiva. I'm assuming this being one of the higher output models it was probably built by ATI? I figure 7 channels driven @ 220W for all my bigger speakers, then let the 3080 handle the Atmos speakers.

Quote:

"As far as we know, the 7220 is the least expensive fully differential multi-channel amplifier on the market. That is quite an impressive feat for Outlaw Audio and we are always thrilled to find companies pushing the envelope of performance while still comfortably maintaining the value aspect to keep a product of this caliber in the reach of most audiophiles." - Audioholics

Our Most Advanced Amplifier Yet

The new Model 7220 Amplifier is a class AB, fully balanced design. It delivers 220W per channel into an 8-ohm load with all seven channels driven. Into 4 ohms it delivers 330W per channel. The signal to noise ratio is greater than 125dB and often approaches 130dB. It operates with virtually no DC offset, runs cooler, and still maintains a class AB operation with two robust toroidal transformers."

TechHDS

Audioholic General
That sounds like a plan! I think he is in Oklahoma. The heartland of America!
Yep, he gotta killer setup! Plus his nice neighbor gave him a cow as a pet. ADTG , opened his front door one day and there was this Cow in his front yard! got some nice people in Oklahoma. If someone down here in South finds a Cow in their yard it means someone wants to trade for something. Lol. We gotta go swing by “PENG” place pick him up first, he bring some of his famous home made brew. I’m bring the Cracklin’s and Boudin and some moonshine.

Mike

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis