Yamaha CX-A5200 and MX-A5200

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yes. We do expect state-of-the-art and nothing less.

And this is the reason I try to buy what Gene buys. :D

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Guys;

I'm sorry to report my CX-A5200 review is going to be delayed due to a tech issue I found on the product. When I was pulling measurements on my CX-A5200, I noted unusually high distortion coming from the main front channel XLR's. This higher distortion was only seen on the front XLR's and no other connections balanced or unbalanced. I also confirmed this is a new problem to the Yamaha pre/pros as the CX-A5000 and CX-A5100 did not exhibit this behavior.

Yamaha confirmed my findings and claim to be working on "countermeasures". They believe it is localized to the volume control circuitry.

Attached is a graph of the XLR & unbal from main L/R outputs Frequency Response vs Distortion for the CX-A5100 vs the CX-A5200 so you can see the differences.

View attachment 30147

View attachment 30148

As you can see for the same output level the CX-A5200 XLR distortion is 20dB higher than the CX-A5100.

If we look closer of distortion vs output voltage of the CX-A5200 comparing XLR front L/R vs the rest of the channels, you can see how it rises with increased voltage.

View attachment 30149

The reality is, most power amps reach full power at < 3Vrms so even with these problematic outputs, the distortion is still probably below audibility. However, it's far from state of the art and is something Yamaha should be able to fix and strive to do better IMO.

I will be waiting for this to be resolved before doing a formal review and yanking out the perfectly working CX-A5100 from my rack. I appreciate everyone's patience.
Really appreciate your integrity and professionalism.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Thanks Gene, this is why your website rules. Most of us would never know of those kind of issue's.
Thanks. This would usually go unmissed by most folks that measure but I always look at fullbandwidth, and FFT distortion spectra. This issue really perplexed me as I thought it was an issue with my test gear so I ran a self check to confirm it was all good ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks. This would usually go unmissed by most folks that measure but I always look at fullbandwidth, and FFT distortion spectra. This issue really perplexed me as I thought it was an issue with my test gear so I ran a self check to confirm it was all good ;)
Do you think this Front L/R XLR THD issue can be corrected with a firmware?

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
It’s the XLR mains on the processor side, not the amp side, correct?

A physical component would require a recall?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
It’s the XLR mains on the processor side, not the amp side, correct?

A physical component would require a recall?
Yes on the pre/pro. I would guess an involuntary recall. Most end users probably won't notice or care tbh. This would make me lose sleep if it were in my rack, however ;)

Phase 2

Phase 2

Audioholic Chief
Gene,. That's two issue's you found with Yamaha unit's, their RX-A870 and now their Flagship pre-pro. They owe you Gene! :)They need to send you a updated 5200 and give it to you since you saved some poor audio engineers a$$ over at Yamaha.:D

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Gene,. That's two issue's you found with Yamaha unit's, their RX-A870 and now their Flagship pre-pro. They owe you Gene! :)They need to send you a updated 5200 and give it to you since you saved some poor audio engineers a$$ over at Yamaha.:D
Thx, I always find stuff, especially when I'm not looking but rarely get much of anything for it. Hoping they do fix this or I'm finding another Prepro for my rack.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thx, I always find stuff, especially when I'm not looking but rarely get much of anything for it. Hoping they do fix this or I'm finding another Prepro for my rack.
Not many differences between 5100 and 5200. Maybe they limit the DTS NeuralX to DTS and have AI auto DSP and a backlit remote. Anything else?

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Not many differences between 5100 and 5200. Maybe they limit the DTS NeuralX to DTS and have AI auto DSP and a backlit remote. Anything else?
That's about it. I like the remote better on the 5100 tbh.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Anthem AVM60?

Monolith HTP-1 (when it finally arrives)?

Marantz AV8805?

All EYES are on. :D
No, I'd probably wait for Sound United to release a pre/pro ubder the Classe brand if it has my wishlist feature set. In the meantime, the CX-A5100 is doing a good job holding me over ;)

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Unlike the difference between the Marantz AV8802A and the AV8805, I find it very odd that the CX-A5200 doesn't seem to have anything noteworthy for someone who owns the CX-A5100 already. With HDMI 2.1 coming out next year, I think Yamaha's may have to offer some super deep discount to get rid of the A5200 by year end before the A5300 is out.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Unlike the difference between the Marantz AV8802A and the AV8805, I find it very odd that the CX-A5200 doesn't seem to have anything noteworthy for someone who owns the CX-A5100 already. With HDMI 2.1 coming out next year, I think Yamaha's may have to offer some super deep discount to get rid of the A5200 by year end before the A5300 is out.
Yea I was expecting them to at least up the processing to 13CH. I don't think they will replace this unit for a few more years though. Yamaha typically doesn't change flagship products more than once every 4 years or so.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis