Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
there should be a label on the backplate showing the max. power consumption from the electrical outlet. That is important because users likely have many devices connected to the same residential circuit (sometimes shared by multiple rooms), which should not be overloaded (not everyone has a separate 20A line for the AVR).
I agree. As I said, there is no power labelling standard which all vendors would agree to adhere to. Therefore, the industry seems reluctant to act as one on this simple issue and currently does not give monkeys for consumers. One brand tells you 500W, another one tells you 730W, and both numbers are derived from different calculations.

This is not imaginable in PC power supply industry. There is clear labelling of output power, broken down to minute details for each power rail and socket, plus label for power efficiency standard. There is greater degree of scrutiny of power supplies as stand-alone component and product.
PSU 80Plus certification.JPG

If food industry can agree on labels (when governments force them to...), you can clearly see why AV industry does not have labels or cannot agree how to certificate HDMI 2.1 boards. It's absolutely bizarre what they are allowed to do without minimal self-regulation and standardization. Gene discussed power issue in one of his videos.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I agree. As I said, there is no power labelling standard which all vendors would agree to adhere to. Therefore, the industry seems reluctant to act as one on this simple issue and currently does not give monkeys for consumers. One brand tells you 500W, another one tells you 730W, and both numbers are derived from different calculations.

This is not imaginable in PC power supply industry. There is clear labelling of output power, broken down to minute details for each power rail and socket, plus label for power efficiency standard. There is greater degree of scrutiny of power supplies as stand-alone component and product.
View attachment 54957

If food industry can agree on labels (when governments force them to...), you can clearly see why AV industry does not have labels or cannot agree how to certificate HDMI 2.1 boards. It's absolutely bizarre what they are allowed to do without minimal self-regulation and standardization. Gene discussed power issue in one of his videos.
FCC, has been letting the Audio/Video industry, getting over on the end user for as long as I've been in this hobby. Especially snake oil dealers and snake oil salesman.

Last edited:
A

Am_P

Full Audioholic
Well, there's no point debating that topic IMO. If it makes you happy, it can't be that bad. :D

If if makes people happy buying certain amps, integrated amps, AVR, AVP, cables, etc., it is their PRIVILEGE to spend their money.
Not exactly....I could hear a difference between a couple of DACs I have like night and day. I asked a buddy of mine, who is a dealer/enthusiast like you to blindtest me. He stopped by my house and tested me. I nailed it 23/23 times and that is quite statistically significant. I can also clearly hear a difference between 2 power amps I have got. But, we haven't gotten around to blindtesting me on it yet. So, I don't know what world some of the audioholics guys and ASR guys live in. if you guys just watch football games and movies with your gear and perhaps don't have a keen ear for music, you don't really hear a difference maybe. My wife probably can't hear a difference between her tv speakers and my GR NX-Otica as well. I am sure the bums here would have a word called "audiophool" for a guy even if he passed a blind test enough times to be statistically significant. So, whatever.....(fk the science)

P.S I have a suspicion that you're the kind of political guy who wouldn't admit anything on this forum even if you heard a difference lest some of the forum bums pounce you. You have sht to sell to all sides. Again....whatever..

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Not exactly....I could hear a difference between a couple of DACs I have like night and day. I asked a buddy of mine, who is a dealer/enthusiast like you to blindtest me. He stopped by my house and tested me. I nailed it 23/23 times and that is quite statistically significant. I can also clearly hear a difference between 2 power amps I have got. But, we haven't gotten around to blindtesting me on it yet. So, I don't know what world some of the audioholics guys and ASR guys live in. if you guys just watch football games and movies with your gear and perhaps don't have a keen ear for music, you don't really hear a difference maybe. My wife probably can't hear a difference between her tv speakers and my GR NX-Otica as well. I am sure the bums here would have a word called "audiophool" for a guy even if he passed a blind test enough times to be statistically significant. So, whatever.....(fk the science)

P.S I have a suspicion that you're the kind of political guy who wouldn't admit anything on this forum even if you heard a difference lest some of the forum bums pounce you. You have sht to sell to all sides. Again....whatever..
Everyone who has known me for years know what I think. They have seen the equipment I have owned over the years.

I am in the camp of “Amps, Preamps, DACs, Players, Wires don’t have a sound signature of their own”.

But I choose to respect anyone else who disagrees with me. It’s not worth one second to argue or debate it. No point calling each other out by saying things like “I have a better ear than you” or anything else.

Maybe when I was younger, I would debate or argue. But the older I get, the more I realize that Resistance is Futile. Just agree to disagree. :D

But I would not just own any amp or preamp, etc., like anything else in life. We all have standards. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Everyone who has known me for years know what I think. They have seen the equipment I have owned over the years.

I am in the camp of “Amps, Preamps, DACs, Players, Wires don’t have a sound signature of their own”.

But I choose to respect anyone else who disagrees with me. It’s not worth one second to argue or debate it. No point calling each other out by saying things like “I have a better ear than you” or anything else.

Maybe when I was younger, I would debate or argue. But the older I get, the more I realize that Resistance is Futile. Just agree to disagree. :D

But I would not just own any amp or preamp, etc., like anything else in life. We all have standards. :D
Very good response Andrew, I couldn't have put it any better.
(Resistance is Futile).
so umm about them RBH speakers again.. lol.. you already know I've been assimilated into the collective. ;)

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
A bit off topic but interesting. As plastics were the future as explained to Benjamin in the Graduate, the future of streaming? Terahertz.

Hey! About time you jump in on the Yamaha fanboy's thread. We like what you bring to the table on this thread. Some of us Yammy Clones, need as much input with this new line of Adventage. Half the fun is getting jacked with, from the other AH members who are Denon, Marantz fanboys. Yeah us Yammy fanboys know the new Aventage AVR's got that big cyclops, droid looking volume knob on the front. Gene's right when he said if he stares at that cyclops volume knob too long he gets cross eyed. It happened to me the other day. o_O Yamaha made dam sure it can't be missed.:D

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Hey! About time you jump in on the Yamaha fanboy's thread. We like what you bring to the table on this thread. Some of us Yammy Clones, need as much input with this new line of Adventage. Half the fun is getting jacked with, from the other AH members who are Denon, Marantz fanboys. Yeah us Yammy fanboys know the new Aventage AVR's got that big cyclops, droid looking volume knob on the front. Gene's right when he said if he stares at that cyclops volume knob too long he gets cross eyed. It happened to me the other day. o_O Yamaha made dam sure it can't be missed.:D
LOL, have been "read only" on this thread to educate myself on the new A's and its been a trip getting up to speed on almost 200 pages, chock full of info, observations, and insults. Great fun.

Have been a fan since I traded in my first receiver, yes, a Realistic 720, for a new A-500 that got me through college no matter how much beer spilled into the top grates.

Gene's right about the damn cyclops looking A6A. Reminds me Gort who scared the hell out of me as a kid.

1648652155911.png

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Yammy fanboys!! heads up!
just hit my email, from Yamaha.Those who need this, go jump on Yamaha's website! Board replacement. For RX-A2A and on down.

Last edited:
AVR Enthu

AVR Enthu

Full Audioholic
I was thinking more in the lines of Pride of Ownership, Brand Name, Warranty, Customer Support.
Absolutely. A "sound signature standard" is perceived subjectively and it is inevitably linked to those things you mentioned above, as sounds come out of specific machines.

lc6

Junior Audioholic

View attachment 54957

There are two aspects to this: output power (and all the related issues of how to measure it) and the max. power consumption from the outlet (higher than the output power due to the inherent inefficiency of power amps and overhead of related circuitry). I am talking about the latter. Whether it is a light bulb, a kitchen appliance, a computer peripheral, or any other electrical device, there is always a spec for that. And such specs do appear on comparable AVRs from Denon, Marantz and Onkyo, but strangely not on the A6A. If I were to guess, for the A6A this max. power consumption would be about 1,000W (about 600W output power at ~65% efficiency + additional consumption by the supporting front-end and display circuitry). This is also intuitively supported by the weight of the unit: over 40 lbs compared to about 30 lbs for the competing models. Most of the additional weight goes into the main transformer feeding the power amps (yes, the case is perhaps more rigid and braced, but the front and top panels are plastic as opposed to metal).

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
When you share a screen-shot, it just kills me instantly by its size! :D Make it just a tiny little bit smaller.

This is a board exchange for A2A and lower models, right?
I know, I've tried to resize the photos, of screenshots, believe me it's aggravating. I use a Motorola 5g phone, is there a app for that? It is for Yamaha RX-A2A and on down. Don't know why Yamaha sent me that email, but I did own their RX-A2A for about 3 weeks, be returned it for a full refund. I do miss my Iphone when it comes to screenshots apple had a resize feature. This one doesn't.

Edit:Just a note, some don't use and or don't have a PC or laptop or tablet. I use my smartphone only. I also use voice dictation, which as I'm sure you guys know about autocorrect. I don't always proofread, so when you guy's see, edits:, I'll go back and proofread. My eyesight isn't what it used to be. When I was a young whippersnapper like you guys, my eyes were sharp and my memory was good not So much anymore. You young whippersnappers need to respect your elders more around here!! :p remember when your 63 or older if you'll make it to my age :D, I told you so. ;)

Last edited:
Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@AVR Enthu on a side note, you seem to be knowledgeable and well edgeofucated, :D dam autocorrect;). 65" 4K tv besides OLED. You got a good recommendation? Umm I'm waiting! :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis