Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

C

chapp

Audioholic
Dr Floyd Toole mentions in his book in passing that electronics do NOT impart a sonic signature. He's been at this game a lot longer than anyone and would know. You being a research engineer and logically speaking, should know that imparting a manufacturer's house sound would contradict what amplifiers have been designed to do, amplify cleanly without skewing the signal towards a house sound. Another word of caution is putting belief in what the marketing department says. The markerting department regardless of vendor is designed to do one thing, SELL. And marketing departments will use pseudo science, misappropriate and miss use engineering terms, basically lie to sell their products. And why is that? Because they know there are gullable audiophiles just waiting to eat up the jargon and spend their money. Pogre hit the nail on the head stating that everytime you challenge an audiophile to a controlled blind listening test, they pass.

What kind of equipment did you test and what was the protocol used around the tests?
You wrote this as I was about to leave anyway it is my pleasure to respond to this before leaving. Sure I agree with all that, but in the practicality of all things. It is dependent on the manufacture process of the underlying components and the materials used. Different environments incorporate a variation of their protocols to manufacture components. Every batch may suffer differences. Beginning of the run and end of the run produce products with varying specifications. Quality control depends on this, too. This is why no two devices may share the same signature and need to be tuned. The reason some with the identical device is having issues with their unit and some may not. It is not proper for me to disclose certain aspects of my past employment due to "Disclosure" However, I do respect everyone's opinion and their right to believe as they do. I have mine and you have yours. Thus, we may agree to disagree. Goodnight.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I do remember when you got your umik. I don’t remember though, if you boosted these frequencies arbitrarily, or if you were filling nulls. Or possibly boosting peaks!
I’m not arguing that you’re satisfied. Just wondering how you chose those numbers.
It was rather flat initially without the PEQ.

T

tparm

Audioholic
Update on 8500HA:

Cable testing is extremely buggy.
This unit can test your hdmi cables for its speed/errors. I have tested about 10 cables. 5 certified Monoprice 48k. 1 apple (belkin) certified 8k ultra and some that were not certified but ultra high speed. The unit's top indicating speed is 40gbs 8k, but all the Monoprice cables were jumping from 32gbs 8k and failed the 40gbs 8k. I repeated the test on the same cable and it sometimes would indicate 40gbs 8k passed. Rebooting the unit and using the same cable it showed fail. It did the same with the uncertified cables and even once indicated a cheap cable I had knocking around as 8k 40gbs and then again as 18gbs. My conclusion is this feature is simply useless if you want to test for the correct bandwidth of your HDMI Certified 8K 48gbs etc.

I also used the on board Audyssey which is very scaled down and buggy, too, because it froze twice and I had to reboot the unit. I did experience this previously with another Denon I own. Anyway, once I had to disconnect the subwoofer to get it to configure and that was a mess. You really have to dial down the sub to less than the half way point to get it to continue on with the configuration. With the on board config, we were not happy, so I moved on to the MultEQ XT32 app on my ipad. This was better and the config went through much better. It set all speakers to Large and varied on the Crossovers. The sub was a mess. I setup the eq to not do past the 300Hz frequency range mark and so forth disabling the midrange compensation, Dynamic Eq off, Dynamic Vol off, and LFC off. I did not go past 250 Hz on the Sub on one setting and none on one setting. Now, I did the maximum measurements as well as the minimum position allowed.
Results: The distances were not too bad off, but they were not accurate either. It set the speakers to Large as the on board did and the Crossovers varied, too. So, I set things as should and did some adjustments to the sub channel etc. The app takes a little time to do the update to the AVR and then you are set to go. The unit sounded much better than before, however, I had to play a little with the bass (sub) curve for awhile in order to get it to a likeable sound.
Caveat: 8500 has only 1 Pattern so you are screwed if you want to change to another etc. like on the Yamaha. Each time you want another pattern, you have to go back to the app and change it there providing you had created more edited copies of your pattern. Then you have to wait for it to download to the unit. Cumbersome and not to my liking at all.
Denon's setup in this unit is lacking big time and not as versatile and detailed as in the Yamaha. The web setup in the Yamaha is also really good. I cannot comment on the Denon's 8500HA's one.

Pros: 8500HA
The Unit's front features and Display is a plus.
The Back has a USB for power?
13 powered built in channels/amp
Remote is not bad and can be setup for other sources devices. Like TV, CD player, DVD, Blu Ray etc.
Has DTS X Pro
IMAX
Auro 3D

Cons:
Difficult to setup (for Me)
Menu is not friendly and difficult to get into.
Sound is not to my liking.
Not as much power as I expected for its rating
Runs quite hot (using 2 different laser testers) got temps to 140 F at times when it plays at levels of -20db or if you push it harder. In comparison the Yamaha can get to 125 F
Only 1 configurable Pattern.
Not many 8k inputs

I do not want to say more, but personally for my taste, the Yamaha is a better sounding unit for both movies and music. It has more to offer than the 8500 and clearly out performs it power wise. The sound is overall more clear and pleasing to the ear. Both my wife and the owner of the unit, my brother in law, agreed, too. He already told me that he'll be returning it and may try a Marantz. I am trying to persuade him to the Yamaha which he loves, but also is sold on " the voice of god" channel. Well, you can't please them all. I will wait and see what happens.
Disclaimer:
Testing was done using the exact speakers etc. as the A8A.
Pure Direct Modes, Stereo, Multichannel Stereo, Auto Decoding, Straight modes etc. were used.

The Denon 8500HA is still a good and capable unit and I would be happy to own one if I did not have a Yamaha A8A. I did this comparison for my own personal taste and family and did not mean to be judgmental or to criticize anyone.
It took a lot of time and effort to do it and I am glad I did get the opportunity to do it.

Regards.
Now buy an MRX 1140 and never look back. :) Kidding (sorta), but would be an interesting exercise. Complete the library if you will.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
After maybe a hundred hours of music listening the RX-A8A is the best stereo amp I have ever listen to (better than any amp I listen to in audio shop auditorium). Today I added a Rel T9x which has nothing related with the amp but my setup gives me more than whatever I would have ever dreamed. I am hearing things I never heard before and something unexpected: I have no fatigue after hours of listening which is something new. I used to be exhausted after listening for music and was thinking it was because it was emotional. But the sound is so natural, so crisp, so “full range” that the only thing that stops me to listen more music is it’s 1am and I wake up at 6…
Now I wish my Yamaha will last twenty years like my Denon did. I am in Love with music again.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
After maybe a hundred hours of music listening the RX-A8A is the best stereo amp I have ever listen to (better than any amp I listen to in audio shop auditorium). Today I added a Rel T9x which has nothing related with the amp but my setup gives me more than whatever I would have ever dreamed. I am hearing things I never heard before and something unexpected: I have no fatigue after hours of listening which is something new. I used to be exhausted after listening for music and was thinking it was because it was emotional. But the sound is so natural, so crisp, so “full range” that the only thing that stops me to listen more music is it’s 1am and I wake up at 6…
Now I wish my Yamaha will last twenty years like my Denon did. I am in Love with music again.
Resistance is futile you have been assimilated! You have been assimilated into the collective. You are now 1 of many. :p;) Soon you will have 7 of 9.:D
16376336621865463457654759931576.jpg

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
When you manually INCREASE the speaker channel levels (like by +5dB), you also increase the effects of DEQ significantly.

That DEQ graph is with the standard speaker levels after Audyssey is applied.
Ok then!

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Damn! I think your gettin it!!!
I'm one that See's all those graphs like, oh hell close enough..:D I messed with graphs and oscilloscopes so much in the oilfield makes me sick looking at one now. Sure glad them AVR'S do it automatically now. :D

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I have a question about multi plug. I had an electrician to install a 20A isolated ground outlet with 10AWG wires after reading Audioholics recommendations. Right now I have the amp and the subwoofer plugged but I will need another plug for the second sub. Any advice on multi plug to use/avoid ?

Edit: Subs are able to draw about 6.5 amperes so two of them would be 13A, it remains 7A for the RX-A8A. Hope it's enough. 600W at 110v is technically 6A. I have 1A spare :p

Last edited:
diablo676

diablo676

Junior Audioholic
I have a question about multi plug. I had an electrician to install a 20A isolated ground outlet with 10AWG wires after reading Audioholics recommendations. Right now I have the amp and the subwoofer plugged but I will need another plug for the second sub. Any advice on multi plug to use/avoid ?
I don't know how homes are wired in Canada but in England we have a 'ring-main' system where sections of the house have a wiring circuit with sockets attached where needed. Anyway, in the house I had 35 years ago I put in a seperate mains spur for my hifi stuff, which got rid of the interference from the washing machine and microwave. :) So probably a good thing for you to have done.

Or maybe not. These days any decent amplifier, or subwoofer, should have a power supply rectification and smoothing to handle any old rubbish mains problems. I don't know if you've ever read any of Amir's reviews on AudioScienceReview of the power supply rectifiers they sell to the gullible for hundreds of dollars. But they either do nothing or make things worse. So I reckon any decent, preferably surge protected, multi-plug will do.

Coincidentaly, being nnear Black Friday (we even have it here in the UK now) I was checking out prices to buy more TP-link KASA smart plugs. Saw that they now have three outlet ones - see here. I ordered three.

In addition to being able to turn them off/on via app they can tell you how much electricity is being used. Which I sometimes find useful to know.

For example, when in use but content paused (no sound) the A8A uses about 103 watts. When I'm playing music pretty loud it goes up to a massive - errr - 200 watts. o_O :D And my mains speakers are pretty inefficient. The sub amps are doing the heavy lifting of course. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis