Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Close enough. :D I knew that, but just didn’t want to look up the EXACT numbers. :D

39.4Hz, 62.5Hz, 78.7Hz, 99.2Hz.
I do remember when you got your umik. I don’t remember though, if you boosted these frequencies arbitrarily, or if you were filling nulls. Or possibly boosting peaks!
I’m not arguing that you’re satisfied. Just wondering how you chose those numbers.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Right on. :D

Many of us have been saying this - at the end of the day, we have to be happy with what we hear and see. It’s not about pleasing other forum members. It’s not about bragging rights on the best specs and measurement numbers. It’s about pleasing our own ears and eyes, right? :D

I don’t understand why some people refuse to acknowledge that it DOES NOT HURT to try something FREE, SIMPLE and QUICK first. :D

We all know that life can be extremely difficult. But sometimes life can also be that SIMPLE and FREE and PAINLESS. :D
I have nothing against trying something out for free first. What I have problems with is people simply dismissing the benefits of REW and a mic because they are in the minority of people who own a room with symetrical boundaries.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I checked the speakers distances that were computed by YPAO using a laser distance measurement device. Everything was correct +/- 2 inches. I am impressed

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A long while ago when I bought a Panasonic plasma tv, I was offered an ISF calibration at a minimum cost. Three weeks after the tv was burned in and I had configured it myself, the Certified ISF guy came. It was a Saturday morning and the fella spent almost all day doing the calibration. The TV was viewed by my family members as a total piece of "...." It looked horrible and was so darn dark and it was distressing to look at it. The Sony in my bedroom that was a fraction of the price of that Panasonic looked 100% better. We tried for one week to see if we could get ourselves conditioned to appreciate the calibration that the Expert's recommend according to how the director's want us to view the movies etc. Painfully, after that week was over and I could not get my eyes to like that TV, I just got the guy to come back and reset the TV to the default settings so I could do my own settings and calibration. We enjoyed that TV for several years and it showed the way we wanted it to and not to what the Professional Calibration Standards wanted.
I do know personally several others who went through the same experience as myself.
Again, your eyes are the best judge of the "beauty of the screen" likewise, your ears for the sound.
AcuDefTechGuy : I agree and have been saying the same. Try the simple stuff first, the Yamaha's PEQ is quite good if you know what you are doing. With just this and a little tweaking, you can have your sound just the way you want to hear it. It's a start but do not dismiss it without giving it a chance.
Your comparison of TV calibration toEQing sub is analgous to comparing cats and dogs. They arent even related. Displays whether they are calibrated or not are not affected by room boundaries and room nodes like subs are. The whole bass response changes on sub location and orientation so without getting a view of the in room frequency response, one has no idea if the sub's response cannot be improved upon by simply moving the sub to a different location.

Before my wife passed away, I ran YPAO and had the sub setup automatically. It sounded like sh?t as it was weak except for the very low bass in the 20 - 30 Hz range. Spent the day with PEQ with very little success. After she passed, I dwelved deeper into my hobby for therapy and looked at setting up bass properly, installed REW for free and bought a UMIK-1 mic and measured the response. I began to experiment with just moving the sub around and found a much better location that gave me more bass in the 50 - 60 Hz region while maintaining the deep bass output.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Your comparison of TV calibration toEQing sub is analgous to comparing cats and dogs. They arent even related. Displays whether they are calibrated or not are not affected by room boundaries and room nodes like subs are. The whole bass response changes on sub location and orientation so without getting a view of the in room frequency response, one has no idea if the sub's response cannot be improved upon by simply moving the sub to a different location.

Before my wife passed away, I ran YPAO and had the sub setup automatically. It sounded like sh?t as it was weak except for the very low bass in the 20 - 30 Hz range. Spent the day with PEQ with very little success. After she passed, I dwelved deeper into my hobby for therapy and looked at setting up bass properly, installed REW for free and bought a UMIK-1 mic and measured the response. I began to experiment with just moving the sub around and found a much better location that gave me more bass in the 50 - 60 Hz region while maintaining the deep bass output.
I start (not really because curious) to fear how I will have to setup room correction with my incoming REL as if I use the high level connection, YPAO will get some subwoofer while playing left and right front speakers and also when playing lfe. From what I have seen in Gene video about extra bass, I will need it on to have a full range signal on front speakers in order to get the lows to drive the sub.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I start (not really because curious) to fear how I will have to setup room correction with my incoming REL as if I use the high level connection, YPAO will get some subwoofer while playing left and right front speakers and also when playing lfe. From what I have seen in Gene video about extra bass, I will need it on to have a full range signal on front speakers in order to get the lows to drive the sub.
Your setup is a lot more complicated than simply connecting subs to the sub out of an AVR. I would definitely use REW and measure because its all to easy for your mains and subs to reduce or worst case create deep nulls in parts of the bass response. I would love to see your beginning response and your journey through it to where your happy with the results.

C

chapp

Audioholic

No offence, but you simply did not get the meaning of this experience. I just wanted to reiterate the importance of trusting your own eyes and ears as being the main judge in Viewing / listening. We can go on an on about REW and all that. I have been there and done all that before and did not think it made much of a difference for me, personally, however, I always said that its been my personal findings and not related to others. Yes, REW and spending never ending hours of frustrating time to configure using it may be perfect for some. For me, its not, and I do know a lot of people in agreement with this. Why not enjoy as your eyes/ears perceive. My regards to all of you here as I respect all of your opinions and experiences. If I have offended anyone by stating my personal findings and experiences, my apologies, but I will never depart from reality.
regards.
Thanks.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Wait till you get that Sub setup in your system! It's gonna be good man!
I hope. It's already so good. I realized I didn't switched my computer on once this week end, which is really unusual : I spent all my time watching movies and listening... And my mood is better than ever having the feeling I can listen to an amazing system whenever I want to now !

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I hope. It's already so good. I realized I didn't switched my computer on once this week end, which is really unusual : I spent all my time watching movies and listening... And my mood is better than ever having the feeling I can listen to an amazing system whenever I want to now !
Wait till your daughters have a sit down with that sub in your setup. Don't know if they know what they are in for they may. But it will put a smile on your face when you see the reaction on their faces! My youngest Son, 35 has 5 children for 10 years on down to 2 year's old. His Sony 77" Master Series, with his RBH speaker setup, guess where they hand out at? Yep in his living room. He gotta tell them, It's my turn with the TV this afternoon. Lol

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
O.M.G....
Got my subwoofer.
First thing I noticed while listening to Billie Eilish is "There are xylophone notes in this tune ???"
So more bass making medium and trebles perceived differently is far from a myth.

TheLamonster

TheLamonster

Audioholic Intern
Could someone please point me in the right direction for a basic beginner's guide to using REW to make my system sound better? YPAO is fine but most people recommend a UMIK-1 on a Dayton UMM-6 on a tripod microphone stand with REW or TrueRTA but all of it intimidates me and most of what I've found assumes you have some knowledge of it but it still reads like Greek to me most of the time.

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Don’t tell the wife (oh that’s ok, we are separated), I instantaneously ordered a second sub :eek:

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
« Just another tune… »
I am once again listening music for hours without recognizing some of my favorites.
It’s maybe just matter of taste but god I have lost years of good stereo sound with my old Denon. This Yamaha doesn’t stop to amaze me.
Gene can’t ruin my happiness with 20000% THD measurements , all I hear makes me smile.
Can’t wait to beef my lows in stereo with a sub…
I have a feeling, in a properly set up dbt, level matched that you would not be able to tell the difference between the Denon and the Yamaha. Any of the measured differences between them are functionally inaudible. Good bass is room and placement dependant. If there are audible differences it would lie in differences in room correction and/or eq applied.

At the core, level matched, operated within spec and everything else being equal I've yet to see a single example of someone being able to tell any difference in a dbt. They always disappear when the rubber hits the road.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No offence, but you simply did not get the meaning of this experience. I just wanted to reiterate the importance of trusting your own eyes and ears as being the main judge in Viewing / listening.
I agree, and the best way to do it (audio) is in a dbt with quick switching and careful level matching.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Could someone please point me in the right direction for a basic beginner's guide to using REW to make my system sound better? YPAO is fine but most people recommend a UMIK-1 on a Dayton UMM-6 on a tripod microphone stand with REW or TrueRTA but all of it intimidates me and most of what I've found assumes you have some knowledge of it but it still reads like Greek to me most of the time.
There's a bit of a learning curve but once you roll your sleeves up and dig in its not too bad. There are some links to resources on the home page. Between that and asking questions here as issues or confusion popped up is how I learned.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis