Yamaha AVENTAGE 2021 AV Receivers Bulk Up on Power and 8K Features

clone1008

clone1008

Full Audioholic
There is no diagram on how to assemble the star base and pole with the YPAO microphone.
I have just checked the system info in the settings and it says firmware is v1.59. But, as I distinctly recall, when the auto update screen unexpectedly popped up yesterday, it described an update to v2.0. Could be a bug. Anyway, the unit still seems to be functional.
Sounds like a faulty unit or operator.
1647861291369.png

Last edited:

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Another "feature" I noticed: I have a Samsung TV connected to the AVR through the HDMI ARC. There is a 10-second or so delay for the AVR to start playing the program sound whenever there is a channel switch, scene change or movie streaming starts on the TV. (No, this is not about a short lip-sync delay, which is also an issue, hopefully correctable through a setting.)
For example, yesterday my TV was briefly tuned to an NBC broadcast of a golf tournament. I believe the tournament scene itself was in Dolby Digital 5.1 since there was plenty of "ambience" to it from all speakers. But then the scene, still during the same broadcast, switched to a one-on-one interview with a golfer. At that time, the audio probably switched to plain stereo (single mic held by the interviewer). For the first 10 seconds of so of the interview, there was no sound.
I am not sure whether this is a function of the TV that takes its time to properly send a new audio stream via ARC, or the AVR which takes its time to detect and decode the new stream. Has anyone else observed that happening?

SithZedi

SithZedi

Audioholic General
Another "feature" I noticed: I have a Samsung TV connected to the AVR through the HDMI ARC. There is a 10-second or so delay for the AVR to start playing the program sound whenever there is a channel switch, scene change or movie streaming starts on the TV. (No, this is not about a short lip-sync delay, which is also an issue, hopefully correctable through a setting.)
For example, yesterday my TV was briefly tuned to an NBC broadcast of a golf tournament. I believe the tournament scene itself was in Dolby Digital 5.1 since there was plenty of "ambience" to it from all speakers. But then the scene, still during the same broadcast, switched to a one-on-one interview with a golfer. At that time, the audio probably switched to plain stereo (single mic held by the interviewer). For the first 10 seconds of so of the interview, there was no sound.
I am not sure whether this is a function of the TV that takes its time to properly send a new audio stream via ARC, or the AVR which takes its time to detect and decode the new stream. Has anyone else observed that happening?
Same happens to me. I have a 1 year old Sony OLED and a Yamaha A6A. Have unplugged and reconnected a few times but still same delay.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Same happens to me. I have a 1 year old Sony OLED and a Yamaha A6A. Have unplugged and reconnected a few times but still same delay.
Good to learn this also happens with a different brand TV. It should be noted this issue also occurs when streaming a series on Netflix and there is an automatic transition to the next episode. There is no sound from the AVR for about 10 seconds after the next episode starts playing, presumably because the ARC stream was interrupted while the next episode was being buffered. Hopefully, this is not a hardware issue and it can be corrected in a future firmware update. (Note to @clone1008 : this operator has a master's in electronics engineering and 35+ years of experience in analog/digital hardware and software development, so hardly "faulty." Regarding the assembly of the mic and stand, if I wanted a time-wasting puzzle without instructions, I would buy a piece of cheap Ikea furniture, not a $2,200 AVR.)
I believe I have identified the source of a different sound reproduction in the "2ch Stereo" and "Pure Direct" modes. In the Speaker > Parametric EQ section of the settings, the YPAO has set "corrections" to the frequency response of all speakers and automatically selected the "YPAO:Flat" setting which, according to the User Guide "Adjusts each speaker to achieve the same characteristics." In my case, YPAO emphasized the 157.5Hz while deemphasizing the ~32Hz and high-frequency bands, which is exactly what I perceived. Since may front speakers are factory-tuned to within +/-0.5dB from the reference, and are said to be +/-1.75dB flat from 50Hz to 20kHz, I chose the YPAO:Front instead, but I may ultimately choose the "Through" mode that does not use the equalizer at all. I have serious doubts about this little consumer electronics mic accurately measuring the FR. Also, on that "correction" screen, bands do not appear sorted by rising frequency, which makes the interpretation more difficult.

C

chapp

Audioholic
Sound kept dropping and Yamaha A8A shows "Decoder Off". This happened intermittently when watching Vikings Valhalla Atmos on Netflix with Apple TV 4k (latest ed) with latest 15.4 update. Yes, 1.59 firmware on Yamaha and I have not changed anything. Restarted Apple TV and A8A as well as the Sony X900H, but it still did the same thing. I had to exit and restart the show to get the decoder to come back on.

Last edited:
OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
Sound kept dropping and Yamaha A8A shows "Decoder Off". This happened intermittently when watching Vikings Valhalla Atmos on Netflix with Apple TV 4k (latest ed) with latest 15.4 update. Yes, 1.59 firmware on Yamaha and I have not changed anything. Restarted Apple TV and A8A as well as the Sony X900H, but it still did the same thing. I had to exit and restart the show to get the decoder to come back on.
It happened to me too. Maybe three times since I have my amp. Hope some improvements on that topic with updated firmware.

C

chapp

Audioholic
It happened to me too. Maybe three times since I have my amp. Hope some improvements on that topic with updated firmware.
I have tried to adjust the Ultra-Low Jitter setting to its lowest level, but I noticed that it was set to 1 on all the HDMI's (default). I am assuming that 1 is the lowest and 2 and 3 are the higher levels.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I have tried to adjust the Ultra-Low Jitter setting to its lowest level, but I noticed that it was set to 1 on all the HDMI's (default). I am assuming that 1 is the lowest and 2 and 3 are the higher levels.
I'm not having any issues with audio or video. When switching sources what ever it may be, audio has no notable delay it's been solid.:)

OldAndSlowDev

OldAndSlowDev

Senior Audioholic
I updated to the latest 15.4 tvOS version. Will see if it changes the concurrency of this issue.

C

chapp

Audioholic
I'm not having any issues with audio or video. When switching sources what ever it may be, audio has no notable delay it's been solid.:)
You have been very fortunate to have a well behaved AVR. Now I need to send mine to AVR obedience school.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
You have been very fortunate to have a well behaved AVR. Now I need to send mine to AVR obedience school.
Since the 1st day out the box November of last year my RX-A4A has be great. I believe I was the 1st AH member to post up owning a new Yamaha Adventage AVR. Wasn't so lucky with my Yamaha V6A, it was buggy at first. I had Yamaha's RX-A2A for a month. That AVR also perform great with no issues.

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Since the 1st day out the box November of last year my RX-A4A has be great. I believe I was the 1st AH member to post up owning a new Yamaha Adventage AVR. Wasn't so lucky with my Yamaha V6A, it was buggy at first. I had Yamaha's RX-A2A for a month. That AVR also perform great with no issues.
Well, I am also experiencing some sporadic bugs here and there with my A4A... It is annoying, no doubt about it. The 1.59 firmware made it a lot better but still there is more to wish.
I guess you just got lucky with your unit. Or you just don't use it in a way that these bugs come to play.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Well, I am also experiencing some sporadic bugs here and there with my A4A... It is annoying, no doubt about it. I guess you just got lucky with your unit. Or you just don't use it in a way that these bugs come to play.
Curiosity:
What are you experiencing?

VASKION

VASKION

Audioholic
Curiosity:
What are you experiencing?
- I got no audio - dead silent on first turn on for the day. The last time this happened was last week. Switching between all inputs - server, net radio, FM tuner, TV, etc. nothing. I had to unplug it from the power then plug it back and after that the problem was solved.
- After I watch a movie from my NAS or listen to music when I switch back to TV (eARC, straight stereo) there is no sound. I have to turn off the AVR and turn it back on to fix it. Sometimes I have to unplug the HDMI cable in this scenario to work. Sometimes this happens when I turn the AVR for the first time with the TV.
- The MusicCast app started showing 'Access error' too often last week. It was almost unusable if you want to switch to song, different playlists or folders. I have a lot of playlists, some of them with 1000+ items but I don't think this should be a problem.

I think these are the most obvious I have experiences so far. With the previous firmware they were happening way more often than now.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Well, I am also experiencing some sporadic bugs here and there with my A4A... It is annoying, no doubt about it. The 1.59 firmware bake it a lot better but still there is more to wish.
I guess you just got lucky with your unit. Or you just don't use it in a way that these bugs come to play.
It pretty much stays on 24/7. Using it for OTA TV, Streaming audio/video, Turntable use, CD player, 4K player use. 2.1 for music use, Atmos, A.I. use. PS4 use. Constantly with streaming movies always fast forwarding with tv remote so I'm interrupting source to my AVR constantly. Never experienced an audio dropout or no audio at all.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It pretty much stays on 24/7. Using it for OTA TV, Streaming audio/video, Turntable use, CD player, 4K player use. 2.1 for music use, Atmos, A.I. use. Constantly with streaming movies always fast forwarding with tv remote so I'm interrupting source to my AVR constantly. Never experienced an audio dropout or no audio at all.
I pre-treated your A4A with Holy Water and some broad-spectrum antibiotics before I shipped it to you. :D

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
I pre-treated your A4A with Holy Water and some broad-spectrum antibiotics before I shipped it to you. :D
Andrew, don't know what to say, remember my A1080 I pick up from you way back last year. Remember the first day I fired it up I had texted you that it was making a Poping sound when I would change up the source. After the update was done the next day all was good. So yeah if my Yamaha RX-A4A was acting up I sure would be posting up about issues. As of right now all is very good with my RX-A4A.

lc6

Junior Audioholic
Andrew, don't know what to say, remember my A1080 I pick up from you way back last year. Remember the first day I fired it up I had texted you that it was making a Poping sound when I would change up the source. After the update was done the next day all was good. So yeah if my Yamaha RX-A4A was acting up I sure would be posting up about issues. As of right now all is very good with my RX-A4A.
@Replicant 7 If you subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, could you please run this experiment: with your A4A connected and playing the show's audio, start streaming an episode of the Humans series; scroll it toward the end and play the last couple of minutes of the show; let the end credits play and the navigation buttons appear; without touching the remote control, let it switch over to the next episode; let us know whether you have any audio disruption at the beginning of that next episode (keeping subtitles on is helpful to see if any dialogue was missed).

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
@Replicant 7 If you subscribe to Amazon Prime Video, could you please run this experiment: with your A4A connected and playing the show's audio, start streaming an episode of the Humans series; scroll it toward the end and play the last couple of minutes of the show; let the end credits play and the navigation buttons appear; without touching the remote control, let it switch over to the next episode; let us know whether you have any audio disruption at the beginning of that next episode (keeping subtitles on is helpful to see if any dialogue was missed).
I don't have Amazon prime video, but I do have Netflix their top tier. So it does do the next episode thing where at the bottom right for the TV screen, you have the option to click on it to move to the next episode or just wait where it does it for you. Outside of a very brief audio pause 1 to 2 seconds before the audio comes on as the next episode is starting. Also my front display will show (decoder off) till the episode gets rolling but again about 1 maybe 2 seconds then audio pops on with the format of Dolby on the front display, will show up Atoms/DD+ or if I have A.I. on which I do mostly when streaming. Than front display will show surround sound A.I.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis