Yamaha 2020 Receiver line up (HDMI 2.1 - Full 8K support)

E

EBN

Audioholic
Just buy Yamaha.
Got one already, not first Yamaha either and likely not last as they seem to last long. I´m not one to jump on new features. Keeping gear 5-10years. Just for curiosity would be nice if Gene could put the new model through some torture test and see have they cutted corners like with A860 or made silly mistakes like with the processor. They really can´t afford to make fkk ups anymore as we have ASR putting more pressure. Arcam engineers have some explanation to do already.

AcuDef: Need to check the video again some day..

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Got one already, not first Yamaha either and likely not last as they seem to last long. I´m not one to jump on new features. Keeping gear 5-10years. Just for curiosity would be nice if Gene could put the new model through some torture test and see have they cutted corners like with A860 or made silly mistakes like with the processor. They really can´t afford to make fkk ups anymore as we have ASR putting more pressure. Arcam engineers have some explanation to do already.

Genes findings indeed where Confirmed by Yamaha.
I just happened to be lucky being on AH at the time Gene was on AH. Gene posted up his test and his Correspondence back-and-forth with Yamaha. As you would guess at the time that he was posting up on his Thread he was getting inundated with a ton of Questions from the members here on AH. I agree Yamaha shouldn’t take past mistakes with the issues of their last Advantage series line of AVR,s or their flagship Pre-pro and Expect to maintain a loyal customer base. Would be sad to say the least after what Onkyo went through from 2011 and up with their THX- NR-AVR units. That recall cost tons of money wasted on both sides. Millions of $ lost and Loyal customer base was Fractured.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a different YouTube video?

Here is the YouTube video on the CX-A5200 measurements.

At 9:38 time is where Gene said the RX-3080 does NOT have the same “issues” as the CX-A5200. Gene said that the RX-A3080 is “IMMUNE” to this.

And again, for anyone wondering about this problem, it is the Front Left XLR and Front Right XLR THD of 0.015% at 4 Volts.

E

EBN

Audioholic
Is there a different YouTube video?

Here is the YouTube video on the CX-A5200 measurements.

At 9:38 time is where Gene said the RX-3080 does NOT have the same “issues” as the CX-A5200. Gene said that the RX-A3080 is “IMMUNE” to this.

And again, for anyone wondering about this problem, it is the Front Left XLR and Front Right XLR THD of 0.015% at 4 Volts.

He has wroted in the list you see when you start the video 8:15.. He may also speak about it too, don´t remember.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I prefer a brown paper bag....recently relieved from carrying a 40oz of Bourbon..... ;)
you had to go mention Bourbon, Now all day I‘ll be thinking of “Bourbon“ Street in New Orleans. ;)

K

Knitman

Enthusiast
I have sued Yamaha avrs for years. Currently use the RX-A3080 and have been quite eager for the new one to arrive. Now that I have seen it and read about it here and on the German site, I am rather disappointed and think I will be saving my money.

I have 6 floorstanders, a centre speaker and 2 subs. There is no room for more speakers, the roof being glass. Besides the sound is wonderful with music stored on a Samsung X5, plugged into a MacBook Pro, which in turn is plugged into an Audiolab 8300cdq DAC and then into the Yam via RCA into Audio 2. I almost alway play in Neo6:Muisc, which to our ears is fantastic. Oh and music is processed via Roon with HQPlayer plugged in.

As we are both happy with the sound we get for both out tastes-folk/Americana/pop/electronica and classical/opera.

Still it means more money for shoes/boots and clothes.

Seriously, don't think I'll be changing my avr. I didn't mention the 65" Panasonic and Oppo 105d, Sony 1100ES and the Panasonic UMP 900. Excellent picture and sound from all three, tho we tend to use the Panasonic mostly and the other two for SACD, Pure Audio and DVD-Audio.

Am glad I can put this to rest now. It is easy to get caught in the trap of upgrading for the sake of it.

And as for the design well there is a place for big knobs but this isn't it. It is rather ugly.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I have sued Yamaha avrs for years. Currently use the RX-A3080 and have been quite eager for the new one to arrive. Now that I have seen it and read about it here and on the German site, I am rather disappointed and think I will be saving my money.

I have 6 floorstanders, a centre speaker and 2 subs. There is no room for more speakers, the roof being glass. Besides the sound is wonderful with music stored on a Samsung X5, plugged into a MacBook Pro, which in turn is plugged into an Audiolab 8300cdq DAC and then into the Yam via RCA into Audio 2. I almost alway play in Neo6:Muisc, which to our ears is fantastic. Oh and music is processed via Roon with HQPlayer plugged in.

As we are both happy with the sound we get for both out tastes-folk/Americana/pop/electronica and classical/opera.

Still it means more money for shoes/boots and clothes.

Seriously, don't think I'll be changing my avr. I didn't mention the 65" Panasonic and Oppo 105d, Sony 1100ES and the Panasonic UMP 900. Excellent picture and sound from all three, tho we tend to use the Panasonic mostly and the other two for SACD, Pure Audio and DVD-Audio.

Am glad I can put this to rest now. It is easy to get caught in the trap of upgrading for the sake of it.

And as for the design well there is a place for big knobs but this isn't it. It is rather ugly.
What features were you looking for? I think the only thing really new is HDMI 2.1 for 8K video.

I also have the awesome A3080. No need to change since I won't be going to 8K for a while. :D

K

Knitman

Enthusiast
What features were you looking for? I think the only thing really new is HDMI 2.1 for 8K video.

I also have the awesome A3080. No need to change since I won't be going to 8K for a while.
Hi-I would only have changed had there been a substantial change in the DACS. Sound is all important to us. To be honest, I don't see how they could really improve in that. I also have to bear in mind my age, 61, and though my hearing test just before lockdown showed only a tiny loss in the top end, (which might explain why I no longer have my teeth set on edge by soprano vices-tho I bet that is more to do with the system we now use. Listen in DSD128 mostly)I am likely to suffer hearing loss as I get older. My husband at 73 wears aids but I have been careful to adapt our system for him so he can enjoy his music too.

I guess there won't ever be a need to change what I have unless the die. I can only see me changing one of the Macs for a more powerful one in a laptop as altho I have an Imac, which would be better used as part of the hi fi, it is too big to fit in. For photography and coping with high res music and certain settings, a more powerful laptop would be better.

I ten dto go on when I wirte. Partly because I have brain damage and because I wriote what comes and I think as i am writing and already realised that all I am likely to pugrade is a laptop.

The caveat being the development of all this stuff is so fast I might really want to chnage what I have or have to.

I feel very lucky that I have been alive long enough to see all this fantstic stuff happen. Smartphjone, smart etllies, digital music. thin telies, I was amzed at cds and thought mobile phomnes were stupid. Now I reply on one.

Anyway, my mind isn't closed but the other thing about the 3080 is it being able to handle 384Khz files. Haven't seen it in the blurb of any other other brand.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi-I would only have changed had there been a substantial change in the DACS. Sound is all important to us. To be honest, I don't see how they could really improve in that. I also have to bear in mind my age, 61, and though my hearing test just before lockdown showed only a tiny loss in the top end, (which might explain why I no longer have my teeth set on edge by soprano vices-tho I bet that is more to do with the system we now use. Listen in DSD128 mostly)I am likely to suffer hearing loss as I get older. My husband at 73 wears aids but I have been careful to adapt our system for him so he can enjoy his music too.

I guess there won't ever be a need to change what I have unless the die. I can only see me changing one of the Macs for a more powerful one in a laptop as altho I have an Imac, which would be better used as part of the hi fi, it is too big to fit in. For photography and coping with high res music and certain settings, a more powerful laptop would be better.

I ten dto go on when I wirte. Partly because I have brain damage and because I wriote what comes and I think as i am writing and already realised that all I am likely to pugrade is a laptop.

The caveat being the development of all this stuff is so fast I might really want to chnage what I have or have to.

I feel very lucky that I have been alive long enough to see all this fantstic stuff happen. Smartphjone, smart etllies, digital music. thin telies, I was amzed at cds and thought mobile phomnes were stupid. Now I reply on one.

Anyway, my mind isn't closed but the other thing about the 3080 is it being able to handle 384Khz files. Haven't seen it in the blurb of any other other brand.
As you’ve already said and most people would agree 100%, the state of the art DACs in the A3080 are already superlative. Sure they could always improve the already super-human inaudible specs, but even Superman wouldn’t be able to hear the improvement.

So the only reason to buy a new AVR is for the new features that you don’t have, not for any DAC.

K

Knitman

Enthusiast
So the only reason to buy a new AVR is for the new features that you don’t have, not for any DAC.
I think it is going to be a long while before 8k is common. I have seen it for real and it is astonishingly clear. One prtiuclar scene was a pool in a jungle and I really felt I could jumpo into it. It brought back back memories thats for sure. I was an army child and the jungle used to be my playground for 5 years.

Anyway, I am under the impression that my 3080 already supports 2.1 tho it's just occurred to me that the new one is 2.2?

Whatever, not features I need now. It transmits HDR10 and +, and DV and DTS etc. I can see me upgrading the telly but not for a while.The picture is excellent on the Panasonic we have.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Anyway, I am under the impression that my 3080 already supports 2.1 tho it's just occurred to me that the new one is 2.2?
All of the current AVP/AVR have HDMI 2.0, not 2.1.

HDMI 2.1 is the upcoming new version.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
How many HDMI 2.1 8k inputs do the new Yamahas have? Hopefully more than one. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
That look is growing on me. Maybe its the Bourbon, i dunno, but it has an understated elegance about it. It certainly doesnt look lime any other AVR on the market.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
It’s not the bourbon. I've been back here several times to give it another look myself. I think I want a droid AVR now. Even the damn names are hilarious. “R2-D2 sounds awesome with RX-A2:D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis