Xbox 360, PS3, or Nintendo Revolution

Which console??

• Total voters
B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
I have completed Gears of War and have about 4 hours on Resistance.

I do agree that the Gears of War graphics are better. Resistance graphics look a little washed out and dull, but don't get me wrong they are still amazing for a first gen title. Both games were viewed in 720p.

Resistance, so far, has a much better story and does not use annoying voice acting. Too bad the majority of the story cut scenes are pictures instead of full motion video though. Also, Resistance went away from the "big buff stupid tough guy" army characters which is great.

As far as online play, Resistance is better. Most of the time, the more people the better and Gears does not give you this option. But, please keep in mind that Gears and Resistance are two very different games. Gears is a "duck and cover" game and Resistance is more of a "run and gun" game. So both games are very fun online and do work, it's just I am more of a "run and gun" type of guy.

Resistance controls are great. The game makes use of ALL the buttons a lot of the time. The environments are very interactive and feel real. Gears of War also does a great job with the controls and the environments. Resistance's world just feels bigger.

I think that Resistance, in general, is under rated and under hyped. The game was over shadowed by Gears, and the PS3 in general, was over shadowed by the Wii. Rating scores for Resistance were around a 9 and scores for Gears were around a 9.6 out of 10. This was Xbox 360's very first major exclusive release after a year, which helped the game receive better scores, and people jumped all over it.

Don't get me wrong both games are AMAZING!

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
techigirl78 said:
BTW - If you like playing video games when a lot of people come over - the Wii is definitely a hit. Also, as mentioned in many reviews, people in our family were trying out the Wii who never had any inclination to play our 360 or PS3. I haven't played many of our games, but both Wii Sports and Rayman Raving Rabbids are a lot of fun and good for many laughs. Though graphics don't compare, gameplay makes up for it and it is great for parties.
Found the same here. My 57 year old mother-in-law and father-in-law played Wii Sports tonight. They saw me playing bowling and said "let me try that". They've *never* asked me to play my 360.

The only downside is keeping the space around them clear. My mother-in-law wound up and let loose just as the dog was walking past....ouch.

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
Bigsilvs said:
I think that Resistance, in general, is under rated and under hyped. The game was over shadowed by Gears, and the PS3 in general, was over shadowed by the Wii. Rating scores for Resistance were around a 9 and scores for Gears were around a 9.6 out of 10. This was Xbox 360's very first major exclusive release after a year, which helped the game receive better scores, and people jumped all over it.
I agree completely. Given the ratings that games like PDZ, DOA 4, and Kameo (all higher then Resistance on many sites) got when the 360 came out, it's amazing that Resistance didn't get higher ratings. In my opinion, it was much better then the listed games.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
So is it worth waiting and trying to get a Wii or PS3 or just go ahead and get an Xbox 360?
I have a 25% off coupon for Toy-R-Us that I can use in store from the American Express My Life My Card promotion. However, I have to use it by the end of January and the local Toys-R-Us won't be getting any more PS3s until March (supposedly) but they continually get a few Wii in, though they are usually gone immediately. I could just walk in and get an Xbox 360 though.
Thoughts?

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
jocjo13 said:
So is it worth waiting and trying to get a Wii or PS3 or just go ahead and get an Xbox 360?
I have a 25% off coupon for Toy-R-Us that I can use in store from the American Express My Life My Card promotion. However, I have to use it by the end of January and the local Toys-R-Us won't be getting any more PS3s until March (supposedly) but they continually get a few Wii in, though they are usually gone immediately. I could just walk in and get an Xbox 360 though.
Thoughts?
Xbox360 and PS3 are comparable. The Wii is a different animal. First decide if you want a Wii OR PS3/Xbox360. If its a wii, you're done. If it's a PS3/Xbox, then you need to decide between them.

There's no reason to get a PS3 yet. There's really only one decent game out for it, and that game isn't worth $600. Later this year, that will be a very different story, but right now, it's not. If PS3 is your choice, wait til later in the year, when the first gen hardware issues are out of the way, it's more available, and there's actually a reason to buy it.

The 360 isn't a bad buy, but has it's own pros/cons. It's very available, it has some killer games, and it's cheaper. If it's PS3 vs. 360 *right now*, it's no contest -- 360.

One other thing -- if you have $600 to throw at a console, why not pick up a 360 AND a Wii?

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
jocjo13 said:
Thoughts?

If High Def movies and/or 1080p matters to you at all, I would highly suggest the PS3. I have been to Target and Wal-mart recently and I did see a few 60 GB on the shelf.

I would agree that the PS3 has only one good exclusive title out now (Resistance) but if you do not have a 360 yet, games like Call of Duty 3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, and any EA Sports game are on both systems. Also, I have been playing a lot of Gran Turismo HD on PS3 and the graphics are the best I have ever seen on any game to date. I have a 1080p HDTV and I keep smacking into the wall because I keep staring at the pavement because it looks soo good! Did I mention it was a FREE download?

Much can be said about the Wii. The only game worth playing is Zelda but could also be purchased on the Gamecube. Wii sports is also pretty good but gets boring fast and I would only consider it a playable demo. I have rented Wario Ware and I am glad I didn't shell out $50 for it, though it was worth a rental. Games like Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Call of Duty 3, and Madden 2007, are very different, and I would rather play them on the 360 or PS3. Also, the Virtual Console games are too expensive and there are not any worthy downloads yet in my opinion. The graphics are very disappointing. Zelda looks like a mediocre Gamecube game on my HDTV, even with the Component Cable.

If you are a big gamer, I would pick up all 3 because all will have some outstanding exclusives by the end of 2007.

J

jocjo13

Enthusiast
Unfortunately, the little lady is going to prevent me from being a hardcore gamer so I'm going to have to settle for one system (though she seems to perk up whenever the Wii comes up). I may actually end up with a 360 since it can be used as a media extender, is available, etc. and there seems to be some discussion about it being as capable or powerful as the ps3 which doesn't sound right but it seems that people that know a whole lot more than me think so. Then again, it could just be the usual 'I don't have a ps3 so let me poo-poo all over it' talk...

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
jocjo13 said:
seems to be some discussion about it being as capable or powerful as the ps3 which doesn't sound right but it seems that people that know a whole lot more than me think so. Then again, it could just be the usual 'I don't have a ps3 so let me poo-poo all over it' talk...
there is no doubt the PS3 is more powerful. However, when looking at the games so far, there's little difference (i'd even give the edge to games like Gears of War on the 360 as best looking).

This will change (but not as much as PS fanboys would like you to believe) in the future. The PS3 games we're looking at now are first gen games vs. the second and third gen games on the 360. As they start figuring out the PS3, they'll look MUCH better (look at first gen PS2 games up against games like Okami, it's no contest)

That said, MOST games will look almost identical. Game companies aren't going to redo all their game art and engines for two systems with such similar capability. I wouldn't make my choice of system by which one will have better graphics in 2 years.

Which has the features you want? Blu-ray, Xbox Live, what's most important to you?

Which has the games you want? Halo, Gran Turismo, Gears of War, Final Fantasy, etc?

The only other thing i'd mention is the 360 is the noisiest console i've ever heard, if that sort of thing matters to you. Sounds like a jet engine, even when the doors on my tv cabinet are closed.

B

Bigsilvs

Audioholic
What ever happened to talks of a Gaming Forum?

I am sick of reading game reviews from places like gamespot.com or ign.com. For instance, Gamespot gave Wario Ware for the Wii a 9.1/10 which made me laugh (they gave Zelda an 8.8/10).

Also, I would much rather hear impressions from your average Joe here than on some other gaming site forums where legions of 12 year olds chime in with nonsense.

J

Jeff HDDVD

Enthusiast
I bought the XBOX 360

I bought the XBOX 360 mainly for using with my Panasonic AE 900 720p projector. A perfect match. Then I recently bought the HD DVD drive for it. I love it. I recently bought a Sony SXRD KDS 50A2000 1080p 50" rear projection TV for my bedroom. I moved the XBOX 360 and the HD DVD drive and hooked it up to my new Sony 50". WOW games in 720p with this TV is Awesome, even though the TV can do 1080p. Well the XBOX 360 is going back to the projector room. I have the new Toshiba 1080p HD DVD player HD XA2 coming tomorrow. Can't wait. I bought 17 HD DVD's waiting for tomorrow. I also have 2 Blue Jeans HDMI cables coming today. :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Rock&Roll Ninja said:
Playstation: If the rumoured Blu*Ray drives can play movies in all their HD glory I'll buy regardless. ).

That is what I would be interested in but, try to find one at the list price:mad:

T

techigirl78

Junior Audioholic
I agree on all the comments about game reviews. Just not realistic. It gives you the ability to see true duds at times, but other times I'm confused by them.

abboudc said:
The only other thing i'd mention is the 360 is the noisiest console i've ever heard, if that sort of thing matters to you. Sounds like a jet engine, even when the doors on my tv cabinet are closed.
I hear this comment all the time, but don't find the same issues with mine - though I don't keep mine in a cabinet. All 3 systems tend to fairly quiet. I would agree the 360 makes the most, but a jet engine? You must have some sensitive ears. :)

mtrycrafts said:
That is what I would be interested in but, try to find one at the list price:mad:
Are you really having a hard time finding a PS3? I see them at retail stores like target fairly often now when I check. Someone really needs to find all those EBay people a real job. :D

jonnythan

jonnythan

Audioholic Ninja
It amuses me to read all the conjecture about the Wii in the first dozen pages of this thread.

Mystic_Realmz

Mystic_Realmz

Audiophyte
xbox 360 rocks!

PS3 is way too expensive, and the Peripherals for Wii are a pain in the @#$%!

mikeyj92

mikeyj92

Full Audioholic
PS3 is way too expensive

Compared to what?

To buy the 360 Elite and get wi-fi capabilites (the MS network adapter) you will spend $580.00 plus tax.

That doesn't include any HD-DVD drive to watch movies. That is another $200.00.

The PS3 is $600 and you can watch Blu-Ray DVD's, it has an ample HDD and built in wi-fi.

The prices are comparable, hell, when you add up the periferals for the 360 to make it "comparable" to the PS3, it costs $780 plus tax...

The gaming library for the 360 is much better right now. A more accurate comparison of the 2 systems as a whole would be better made a year from now.

BTW, I have a 360. I am waiting on getting a PS3 until it's game library ignites my interest.

MUDSHARK

MUDSHARK

Audioholic Chief
ps3. My son got a HD game system and I get Blu-ray for just $200 more than a x-box 360. This will tide me over for a couple of years until universal players that play both formats are available at a fair price. Apparently, I'm not the only one as sales of blu-ray movies are far ahead of the HD-DVD even though less players have been sold.

Wafflesomd

Wafflesomd

Senior Audioholic

Now that all the ps3 exclusives keep moving to 360.

N

no man

Audioholic
im back from the dead!

anyway. My first 360 was a first generation one - it was very loud... very. Then it crashed; twas a joyous day. many weeks later i recieved a new once - don't know what generation it was but it was noticably quieter.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis