R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Thanks, but I asked about the low pass filter settings on your subs, do they have them? If yes, you need to set them to maximum before you run Audyssey, typically means fully clockwise. Otherwise accuracy may not be as good.
Yes they are at maximum

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
It's best to leave the levels as Audyssey sets them. You can mess with them but I find Audyssey is really good at level setting so I would not go far from it. What you're saying when you do that is you know better than the computer. Maybe you do? Maybe not.

The sub and center on the other hand are made for temporary changes. You can always move them back after that movie is done where you needed more dialog or a bigger bang. :)
No I definitely do not know more than the computer

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@Reckel curious, what spl meter and what weighting is your spl meter using? What were you using to generate test tones? FWIW I generally set gain on my subs so as to set my sub levels between -6 and -11.5 generally as well with my Audyssey avrs, to allow some headroom for bumping the level up afterwards as is my general preference. Without making adjustments how does it sound on a variety of material?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Ok, I’ll try but I didn’t have this issue when it was connected to my 860. So should the hdmi control not be on in the denon?
Yeah, none of the Direct TV boxes would work with any of my Denon (AVR & AVP) in the past. But when I hooked them up to my Yamaha (AVR & AVP), they worked just fine.

All the Yamaha AVR are on backorder now anyway, except for a few stores that kept inventories and some refurbished ones, which you wouldn't want anyway. :D

Last edited:
R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
@Reckel curious, what spl meter and what weighting is your spl meter using? What were you using to generate test tones? FWIW I generally set gain on my subs so as to set my sub levels between -6 and -11.5 generally as well with my Audyssey avrs, to allow some headroom for bumping the level up afterwards as is my general preference. Without making adjustments how does it sound on a variety of material?
Sorry, got tied up with fixing my fence and daughters cross country practice. It’s a digital one from amazon, think it was $50, got it in 16 or 17. Always have it on c-weighted and it was the avr’s tones. It sounded pretty dam good earlier today with fury road and John wick 2, haven’t listened to music yet. I’m sure you guys are sick of hearing this but my work schedule is terrible so I haven’t had a ton of time to spend down there. I’ll run Audyssey again in a little bit with my subs in eq1 with right port plugged and switch to eq2 ports open and see what I like better

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
Ok, I fell asleep early yesterday and didn’t get to play last night. This morning though, 4500 kicks a$$! Running Audyssey in eq1 with one port open which I forgot about and switching to two ports open eq2 made huge difference, man!
I do miss the extra bit of extension with how I was running the subs but it’s definitely nothing to complain about, everything sounded awesome. Was listening at -10 for movies and music and both sounded great . It was like the speakers wanted more and I could of given them more but -10 was fricking loud.
After Audyssey it set my front subs to -9.5 and my rear one to -10, I didn’t test to see how those settings would of sounded, I bumped each up 3db and tried 4db too and both sounded awesome. Idk if it’s the xt32 or what but things sound great especially bass with music. My 860 never sounded this good with music. What other streaming music services are good that are free? I was listening to Pandora and some internet radio. Only small negative I can point out is that I kinda hear the rear sub little bit more or first than the fronts but stuff still sounds great

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
After Audyssey it set my front subs to -9.5 and my rear one to -10, I didn’t test to see how those settings would of sounded, I bumped each up 3db and tried 4db too and both sounded awesome. Idk if it’s the xt32 or what but things sound great especially bass with music. My 860 never sounded this good with music. What other streaming music services are good that are free? I was listening to Pandora and some internet radio. Only small negative I can point out is that I kinda hear the rear sub little bit more or first than the fronts but stuff still sounds great
Tidal is not free but it's the best Hifi service I have used. If you use this link, you get a free 60 day premium trial period and I get 15 days added to my HiFi subscription.
http://tidal.refr.cc/XHKJ8WC

Once you listen to Tidal and enjoy the interface it's hard to give it up. I pay $19.99 a month. It's more than my Amazon music hifi account was but the music sounds better and the interface is much better in my view. I really like the ability to play just about any CD I read about or explore on Tidal without buying it. And if I really like it, I buy the CD too. :D

If you use your sound system for music for any time at all - Tidal is an amazing gift.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Is it worth getting the two apps for denon?
My Favorite Denon 4500 Apps
I bought the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for iPad $19.99. It gives you a ton of control over EQing your setup with Audyssey and it lets you save all the individual setting you create for later use. You can easily load any setting back to the 4500 whenever you want. It also allows you to create your own house curve. It's an amazing tool for $20.

I also use the Denon 2016 AVR Remote. It lets you control just about everything and I like it better than the remote or switching the input to the Denon Screen during a movie. It's free and a great resource. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/denon-2016-avr-remote/id982072900

Those are the two apps I use with my 4500 all the time. I don't hardly use my iPad but to control the Denon 4500. lol

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
My Favorite Denon 4500 Apps
I bought the Audyssey MultEQ Editor app for iPad $19.99. It gives you a ton of control over EQing your setup with Audyssey and it lets you save all the individual setting you create for later use. You can easily load any setting back to the 4500 whenever you want. It also allows you to create your own house curve. It's an amazing tool for $20.

I also use the Denon 2016 AVR Remote. It lets you control just about everything and I like it better than the remote or switching the input to the Denon Screen during a movie. It's free and a great resource. https://apps.apple.com/us/app/denon-2016-avr-remote/id982072900

Those are the two apps I use with my 4500 all the time. I don't hardly use my iPad but to control the Denon 4500. lol
Cool thx. I’ll have to get both of them. I thought everything sounded great this morning

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
Tidal is not free but it's the best Hifi service I have used. If you use this link, you get a free 60 day premium trial period and I get 15 days added to my HiFi subscription.
http://tidal.refr.cc/XHKJ8WC

Once you listen to Tidal and enjoy the interface it's hard to give it up. I pay $19.99 a month. It's more than my Amazon music hifi account was but the music sounds better and the interface is much better in my view. I really like the ability to play just about any CD I read about or explore on Tidal without buying it. And if I really like it, I buy the CD too. :D

If you use your sound system for music for any time at all - Tidal is an amazing gift.
Are you using an external MQA DAC to listen to Master quality songs on Tidal? I been meaning to buy one but haven't had time to do some research.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Are you using an external MQA DAC to listen to Master quality songs on Tidal? I been meaning to buy one but haven't had time to do some research.
I'm just using Tidal with the MBP or iPad and using Airplay2 to connect to the Denon 4500. It sounds really good to me. I have not tried an MQA DAC.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I use Spotify free which sounds good, and Apple Music. Pandora, for some odd reason sounds flat on my system. Not obnoxiously so, but different.
Also, if the back sub is noticeable, turn it down a dB or two until you don’t notice it. I hate that...

R

Reckel

Audioholic Chief
I use Spotify free which sounds good, and Apple Music. Pandora, for some odd reason sounds flat on my system. Not obnoxiously so, but different.
Also, if the back sub is noticeable, turn it down a dB or two until you don’t notice it. I hate that...
Ok man. Pandora sounds pretty good on mine but the internet radio stations sounded better. I had to reverse the phase on rear sub when I had the 860 running because it’s like you couldn’t hear it when it was in phase but now it’s in phase and you can definitely hear it and it sounds good

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Tidal IMO is far overrated and MQA is simply audio bullshit. Personally Qobuz is better but am just fine with Spotify premium...

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
Tidal IMO is far overrated and MQA is simply audio bullshit. Personally Qobuz is better but am just fine with Spotify premium...
The wife and I used Spotify premium for years until I came across Tidal which just blew it out of the water. We strictly used Tidal a couple of years until we heard about Amazon music HD, those Ultra HD songs are truly amazing. Our only gripe about Amazon is that they don't offer the ability to crossfade the songs. Also, I prefer the music selection on Tidal but I will definitely give Qobuz a try and see how that goes. :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The wife and I used Spotify premium for years until I came across Tidal which just blew it out of the water. We strictly used Tidal a couple of years until we heard about Amazon music HD, those Ultra HD songs are truly amazing. Our only gripe about Amazon is that they don't offer the ability to crossfade the songs. Also, I prefer the music selection on Tidal but I will definitely give Qobuz a try and see how that goes. :)
Don't know about one service blowing another out of the water, they're more similar than different. The CD/hi-res stuff is avail thru several, including Qobuz, all from the same basic libraries so don't know why they would be drastically different. Tidal with the lossy MQA codec I find simply annoying and unnecessary. The lossy codec that Spotify uses is fine for my purposes (I use streaming services to help me expand my library via new-to-me music I can try before I buy, not substitute for it). Gapless or other similar features may vary, tho.

Kal-El21

Kal-El21

Audioholic Intern
Don't know about one service blowing another out of the water, they're more similar than different. The CD/hi-res stuff is avail thru several, including Qobuz, all from the same basic libraries so don't know why they would be drastically different. Tidal with the lossy MQA codec I find simply annoying and unnecessary. The lossy codec that Spotify uses is fine for my purposes (I use streaming services to help me expand my library via new-to-me music I can try before I buy, not substitute for it). Gapless or other similar features may vary, tho.
Agree to disagree, most of my family and friends stopped using Spotify & Apple music when introduced with Tidal & Amazon music HD. That being said we don't buy music and using a streaming service is our primary source for music content. If I like Qobuz I'll make sure to throw that on the table of options, thanks for the info!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis