Wonder Woman 1984 - Thoughts?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
@lovinthehd and @AcuDefTechGuy , what browser did you use to watch it?
Using Chrome as that is all it worked on my laptop audio cam in as ProLogic II, certainly not DD+ like others on Edge.

Asked son to test his and would not work on Edge.
Not a browser, but via my Amazon Firestick with my "free" HBO Max service....now I did have to use another browser when trying to sign up for my "free" HBO Max account....I couldn't see all the on-screen choices with Firefox, used Edge to get that done.

Mark E. Long

Mark E. Long

Audioholic General
Not a browser, but via my Amazon Firestick with my "free" HBO Max service....now I did have to use another browser when trying to sign up for my "free" HBO Max account....I couldn't see all the on-screen choices with Firefox, used Edge to get that done.
Mine was free too on our cable provider all I had to do was sign in threw the app on ruko since I already had a subscription for hbo threw them . Actually I’ve found the apps work and sound way better threw the ruko than there somewhat questionable cable box threw the AVR .

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
We watched this right at 11AM (CST). I have to say I was not that impressed with the story, acting and CGI action. I don't want to provide any spoilers, but the Mandalorian had an unsuccessful invasion of the DC Universe.
Tare- Ra- Bowl

Auditor55

Auditor55

Audioholic General
I haven’t watched it yet but love a mindless action movie and don’t expect all plot holes to be covered so I suspect I will like it. It is the breadth of programming on HBO Max that I like, many good older shows with newer exclusive content that I truly enjoy. If you cannot find anything on it then you are likely to not find anything on the other streaming offerings out there either.
It doesn't have a story.

H

Huey645

Audioholic
Agree with most of the reviews here, it was ok, but can't hold a candle to the first one. The CGI was pretty bad for a movie of this size, guessing they knew they had less than a stellar movie, and decided to release on HBO MAX the same day as it hit some theaters.

Question for those that can stream HBO MAX in 4k, how much content is in 4K? I'm guessing most of their most recent series are, but what about movies? I read that in order for WW to stream in 4k on a Roku Ultra, it had to be on the most newest model number, 4800. I have 4660. Go figure. Just trying to decide if it's worth the $ to upgrade to the newest Roku model.

M

Movie2099

Audioholic General
We watched it in 4K Atmos. Well, I should say “Fakemos” since I hardly heard anything overhead. And it was shot using analog 35mm films, so I should say fake-4K too. :D

WW1984 is absolute worst blockbuster comic book superhero movie of all times.

My rating is 0/10. :D

I think WW84 has been called Aladdin 3. And I think Aladdin 2 with Will Smith might even be better than WW84. Hey, can Aladdin fly without his magic carpet like Woman Woman can? :eek:
Yeah, I heard that Atmos is basically nothing. I also thought the picture was not that great. For supposedly being in "4K" it didn't look 4k to me. The script was absolutely weak. This has to be Patty J's worst movie. The whole wish stone plot was idiotic. They of course needed to find some reason to get Chris Pine back. I felt like Kristin Wiig was doing a pretty good job right up until she turned into a terrible looking Cheetah. I'm glad I didn't pay a dime to see that in theaters. Thank goodness they put it on streaming. Perfect place for it.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah, I heard that Atmos is basically nothing. I also thought the picture was not that great. For supposedly being in "4K" it didn't look 4k to me. The script was absolutely weak. This has to be Patty J's worst movie. The whole wish stone plot was idiotic. They of course needed to find some reason to get Chris Pine back. I felt like Kristin Wiig was doing a pretty good job right up until she turned into a terrible looking Cheetah. I'm glad I didn't pay a dime to see that in theaters. Thank goodness they put it on streaming. Perfect place for it.
Yep. If you want any Atmos sound (even though the LCD reads “ATMOS”), you would have to use NeuralX.

And the PQ looks like it was shot using 35mm Analog cameras. Oh, wait, it WAS shot using 35mm analog cameras. Seriously for a budget of over $200 million, they had to use freaking 35mm analog cameras? A lot of cheap movies look better than this. :D

So not only did this movie suck beyond belief, all the technical aspects also suck beyond belief. :D

Film Making 101 for the year 2020 and beyond:
1. Have at least a decent plot if you can’t get an awesome plot.
2. Use DIGITAL high resolution cameras. This way your NEW 2020+ movies will look as good as OLD movies from 2009 that were shot using DIGITAL cameras back in 2009. :D
3. Get with the freaking program and use REAL ATMOS or DTSX for surround sound. That way your new movies will sound as good as old movies from 2013. :D

Last edited:
G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yep. If you want any Atmos sound (even though the LCD reads “ATMOS”), you would have to use NeuralX.

And the PQ looks like it was shot using 35mm Analog cameras. Oh, wait, it WAS shot using 35mm analog cameras. Seriously for a budget of over $200 million, they had to use freaking 35mm analog cameras? A lot of cheap movies look better than this. :D

So not only did this movie suck beyond belief, all the technical aspects also suck beyond belief. :D

Film Making 101 for the year 2020 and beyond:
1. Have at least a decent plot if you can’t get an awesome plot.
2. Use DIGITAL high resolution cameras. This way your NEW 2020+ movies will look as good as OLD movies from 2009 that were shot using DIGITAL cameras back in 2009. :D
3. Get with the freaking program and use REAL ATMOS or DTSX for surround sound. That way your new movies will sound as good as old movies from 2013. :D
Even the NFL is using Sony's new 4K camera!

Truthslayer

Truthslayer

Full Audioholic
Without even getting into any picture or sound quality issues, you guys have pretty much nailed them spot on.

There was just something creepy about Gal Gadot. Nothing about her acting or facial expressions screams superhero. I thought maybe it was just me, but my girlfriend agreed. Maybe it was over acting or some arrogance, not sure. Whatever it was, we did not like it.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I'm guessing that since it was set in 1984, they wanted it to look like a movie made in 1984, and that it did, but that doesn't really sit well with some when viewing it on a 21st century TV. If you are gonna' go there, go all the way and give us 20th century practical effects. CGI Cheetah looked like s#%t. We know what happens years later and this movie did nothing to fill in the gaps in any meaningful way. What did we learn? Wonder Woman has been depressed over a man she lost and barely knew for about 70 years?:rolleyes: What did she do during WWII, Korea, The Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam? Did she like Ike? JFK? Did she help out during the gas crisis? Did she lose friends during the AIDS crisis? Did she watch Dallas to see who shot JR? At least Gal looked great in clothing that was actually modeled off of clothing used in some of the episodes of the TV show, but she does not possess ANY of Lynda Carter's charm. Lynda's smile can light up a stadium. So many years on and nobody has embodied a super hero character so perfectly as Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman or even Christopher Reeve as Superman. They nailed it and you just bought it. The movie relied on 80's nostalgia but was played for a bit of camp and did not include any of the popular music of the 80's that would have done much to put viewers back into that era. Nobody used popular music to convey a time, place and feeling better than George Lucas and company in "American Graffiti." Hell, they practically invented the move. But, story cannot come second to nostalgia. There was not a great story or script here, but there was a great cameo at the end that left me wanting more of THAT character's story. The movies in the DC Universe are nothing short of a mess in Warner's hands at the moment. They need cohesion, ASAP!:eek:

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm guessing that since it was set in 1984, they wanted it to look like a movie made in 1984, and that it did, but that doesn't really sit well with some when viewing it on a 21st century TV. If you are gonna' go there, go all the way and give us 20th century practical effects. CGI Cheetah looked like s#%t. We know what happens years later and this movie did nothing to fill in the gaps in any meaningful way. What did we learn? Wonder Woman has been depressed over a man she lost and barely knew for about 70 years?:rolleyes: What did she do during WWII, Korea, The Cuban Missile Crisis, Vietnam? Did she like Ike? JFK? Did she help out during the gas crisis? Did she lose friends during the AIDS crisis? Did she watch Dallas to see who shot JR? At least Gal looked great in clothing that was actually modeled off of clothing used in some of the episodes of the TV show, but she does not possess ANY of Lynda Carter's charm. Lynda's smile can light up a stadium. So many years on and nobody has embodied a super hero character so perfectly as Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman or even Christopher Reeve as Superman. They nailed it and you just bought it. The movie relied on 80's nostalgia but was played for a bit of camp and did not include any of the popular music of the 80's that would have done much to put viewers back into that era. Nobody used popular music to convey a time, place and feeling better than George Lucas and company in "American Graffiti." Hell, they practically invented the move. But, story cannot come second to nostalgia. There was not a great story or script here, but there was a great cameo at the end that left me wanting more of THAT character's story. The movies in the DC Universe are nothing short of a mess in Warner's hands at the moment. They need cohesion, ASAP!:eek:
I guess we'll get more perspective with WW99 or WW20? :)

D

Dude#1279435

Audioholic Spartan
I got HBO Max primarily to see the Fresh Prince reunion so I'm probably not much help on that one :) However, when I wanted to see it this morning it was still too early and haven't tried WW yet but a little Gal never hurt....
Yikeso_O

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm guessing that since it was set in 1984, they wanted it to look like a movie made in 1984, and that it did, but that doesn't really sit well with some when viewing it on a 21st century TV. ...
Especially when it is advertised 4K HDR and Atmos. That is not an 1984 made movie. ;) :D

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

I still can't get over why this movie would not downgrade the video on Edge but it can on Chrome basic. :(

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
I still can't get over why this movie would not downgrade the video on Edge but it can on Chrome basic. :(
Seems Google ponied up where Microsoft did not, licensing and distribution deals and such. Who knows?

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seems Google ponied up where Microsoft did not, licensing and distribution deals and such. Who knows?
Would Microsoft needed to sign a new something just for WW84 even if it was a downrated version like 1080p. They already able to do the previous WW no problem, not 4k version and all the rest at HBO max.
I guess I was lucky to try Chrome.
Juist curious.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Would Microsoft needed to sign a new something just for WW84 even if it was a downrated version like 1080p. They already able to do the previous WW no problem, not 4k version and all the rest at HBO max.
I guess I was lucky to try Chrome.
Juist curious.
What specific device are you watching thru?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis