Problems with some new Blu-ray releases?

Bookmark

Bookmark

Full Audioholic
I have to say I am seriously disappointed yet again with Black Panther. Not because it is a bad film but we seem now subjected again to inferior audio. The film itself is somewhat pedestrian so I am rather puzzled by the rave reviews. I did not see this at the cinema and studiously avoided any spoilers. Frankly I have seen this same exact story many times before, minus of course the excessive CGI, largely black cast who otherwise do a sterling job in the face of a rather lackluster script and the mediocre direction.

This problem,for me, first appeared in The Last Jedi, then again Thor Ragnarok and now in Black Panther. All these films have an Atmos track on the UHD 4k versions and a sub par Dts HDMA on the Blu-ray. The problem is the mix level which appears to be down anywhere between 6 to 10dB on what they should be from my estimate. Try comparing either Thor or Black Panther with any previous Marvel Blu-ray releases without changing the volume and the issue will be immediately apparent.

Now there is zero reason the UHD Atmos mix could not appear on the Blu-ray or that because the Blu-ray has a Dts HDMA track that it cannot be present at a correct level. This of course unless this is a deliberate attempt by certain "Disney" affiliates to push the sales of UHD at the expense of the Blu-ray and Dvd equivalents.

Going forward if this foolish trend continues I will cease to buy any future Disney Blu-ray or UHD releases. At £25 release in the UK, UHDs are seriously overpriced. If they want the market then reduce the price to Blu-ray equivalent and reduce the Blu-ray aswell. Unless you are viewing at over 65" @ <10 feet you will not see any benefit in 4K and most TVs and Projectors cannot provide adequate brightness for HDR 10, Dolby vision or HLG. My own 55" LG Oled only has about 400nits peak, less than half of that recommended minimum 1K required and having viewed UHDs on the LG I cannot see any significant benefit in 4k over the 1080p Blu-ray.

On Dvds I always preferred a DTS track over the Dolby. On Blu-ray I am usually happy whether it is True HD or Dts MA. Atmos on the Blu-rays are fine however the one Dts:X I have is decidedly lackluster however that maybe the Fate of the Furious's problem.

Comments, thoughts?

PS. Don't say you cannot hear it if you employ any dynamic compression or EQ setting on your equipment, we are talk about full range here.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis