Will these over power my mains?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
An advantage of not having to set the gain/volume control to maximum is that you are less likely to hear the source noise floor. Hiss is an example.
It is important to make sure that, in gain structure setting, that the source signal is strong enough to reduce the possibility of a power amp to increase any noise generated by electronic circuits in the audio path.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
An advantage of not having to set the gain/volume control to maximum is that you are less likely to hear the source noise floor. Hiss is an example.
It is important to make sure that, in gain structure setting, that the source signal is strong enough to reduce the possibility of a power amp to increase any noise generated by electronic circuits in the audio path.
That's right, and that's why you don't want your avr preout attenuated more than necessary. The OP's XLS 2002 has a gain of almost 32 dB with the input sensitivity set to 1.4V. If set to 0.775V, the gain will be several dB higher, but the SN ratio will be 6 dB lower according to Crown.

By the way, after you added those QSC amps, did Audyssey change the levels, and by how much?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That's right, and that's why you don't want your avr preout attenuated more than necessary. The OP's XLS 2002 has a gain of almost 32 dB with the input sensitivity set to 1.4V. If set to 0.775V, the gain will be several dB higher, but the SN ratio will be 6 dB lower according to Crown.

By the way, after you added those QSC amps, did Audyssey change the levels, and by how much?
To tell you frankly, I didn't notice that change in levels. As for the purchase of the third amp, it will have to wait till next year which is not so far.

On my DBX crossovers, I set the input gain level to +9dB, but since there is a difference of 11.79dB between +4dBu and -10dBv, I am thinking of increasing the gain to its maximum at +12dB.

By the way, my SR5010 is at the repair shop. Several features no longer work. For instance, neither M-DAX nor Audyssey work. Because I cannot set M-DAX, I was unable to reset the AVR to default settings. Fortunately, it's during the warranty period.
It's when you have an electronic unit needing repair, you are happy that you had purchased it from an authorized dealer.

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
To tell you frankly, I didn't notice that change in levels. As for the purchase of the third amp, it will have to wait till next year which is not so far.

On my DBX crossovers, I set the input gain level to +9dB, but since there is a difference of 11.79dB between +4dBu and -10dBv, I am thinking of increasing the gain to its maximum at +12dB.

By the way, my SR5010 is at the repair shop. Several features no longer work. For instance, neither M-DAX nor Audyssey work. Because I cannot set M-DAX, I was unable to reset the AVR to default settings. Fortunately, it's during the warranty period.
It's when you have an electronic unit needing repair, you are happy that you had purchased it from an authorized dealer.
I didn't think it would change the levels because the QSC amp's sensitivity is around 1.2 V if I remember right, but didn't want to assume.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I didn't think it would change the levels because the QSC amp's sensitivity is around 1.2 V if I remember right, but didn't want to assume.
The QSC amp's sensitivity is 0.9v (+1.3dBu) for a 4 ohm load. It might be preferable to raise the DBX input gain, but on the other hand, I don't hear any floor noise through the power amps.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
`

Specifications including SNR for the external power amplifier has little merit...
If its driving input signal from the pre-amp or line out of an AVR or processor is already clipping and/or noisy..
IMHO..
The real key is to have the input/output signal chains to be closely matched for level & impedance within their respective design capabilities of each electronic component in the signal chain.. If 1 component is being overdriven, then its byproducts will only be amplified when passed on to the next component and/or amplifier output..

Just my $0.02.. ;)

E

exm

Audiophyte
I know this is an older thread and I read it entirely.

The older Marantz AV7005 is mentioned, I have a Marantz AV8805 and I will be using XLR connections. However, the Marantz isn’t “internally” balanced so I am not sure about sensitivity part.

Here’s my plan with my newly acquired Crown 2502, my AV8805 and my two subwoofers powered by the Crown:
- leave sensitivity at normal (1.4)
- set the crown to about 75% gain
- see if the I can get the desired output level from the AV8805

Does that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I know this is an older thread and I read it entirely.

The older Marantz AV7005 is mentioned, I have a Marantz AV8805 and I will be using XLR connections. However, the Marantz isn’t “internally” balanced so I am not sure about sensitivity part.

Here’s my plan with my newly acquired Crown 2502, my AV8805 and my two subwoofers powered by the Crown:
- leave sensitivity at normal (1.4)
- set the crown to about 75% gain
- see if the I can get the desired output level from the AV8805

Does that makes sense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like a reasonable plan. You can always fall back to just using the rca pre-outs, tho.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis