M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I do this on my pool table with my 800 series bookshelf speakers when I work out.
And how do those other speakers and amp sound with your chosen music? I still think this is a room and speaker type vs. popular music issue. That kind of music sounds best on Pioneer, Cerwin Vega, JBL etc. from that era than it does on neutral and revealing speakers. And don't take the word of audiophile/speaker designers who have lived on a steady diet of classical music, either. They won't be wrong in saying that their chosen speakers should play back everything accurately, but much of that music was mixed to sound good on mainstream speakers, car stereos, portable radios and affordable headphones and it really does sound good there.

Perhaps do some digging on what the studios/engineers that were mixing that classic rock on back then. You will find many were using JBL L100s and such. Speakers that do not pass the smell test these days and are even considered horrible by todays measurement driven audiophile and engineer standards.

Is why I keep older, less snooty speakers in the house as well. My old 15" Fisher Studio Standard speakers absolutely jam with that kind of music. The little 3-way JBLs in the photo I posted are a center of the road type and are more forgiving. The 12" Tempests behind them are very flat, neutral and revealing speakers that I have to EQ significantly for that era of rock. I basically have to cut the nuts off of anything from about 2Khz on up with those on all but the best recordings. But they sure sound beautiful on well recorded music.

S

Serithin

Audioholic Intern
Ok, so you have discovered the inevitable phase shift issues when trying to blend subs with bass reflex speakers getting a full range signal. Even the 60hz setting you tried is probably too low to avoid the problem. Why not follow evidence-based best practice, and set the crossover an octave above your speakers f3? Try 80hz, recalibrate, and give another listen. You'll very likely get a more seamless blend with the subs, reduce modulation distortion, and, however slightly, ease the power demands from the AVR.
I will try that.

S

Serithin

Audioholic Intern
He said that the LFE is not the (typical) way to add a sub to the stereo channels. And that (typically) you would use line level connections. Others are saying most subs are just too slow to add to the 2 channel stereo.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
He said that the LFE is not the (typical) way to add a sub to the stereo channels. And that (typically) you would use line level connections. Others are saying most subs are just too slow to add to the 2 channel stereo.
What the hell does too slow mean? Sounds like sales people nonsense. LFE is a specific channel but is also used in various ways with subs to indicate external bass management.....but he is a youtube dummy after all.

S

Serithin

Audioholic Intern
Jl113 --> is very very quick.. it has "speed"

SVS-PB13 --> SVS is lacking speed, but it seems to go low.

S

Serithin

Audioholic Intern
...quote...
You can measure subwoofer 'speed', its called attack time, the tests are ran with amps and speakers in better audio testing / rating labs. They use terms like ringing and overshoot. I'm not a pro, so don't ask to much of me.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
...quote...
You can measure subwoofer 'speed', its called attack time, the tests are ran with amps and speakers in better audio testing / rating labs. They use terms like ringing and overshoot. I'm not a pro, so don't ask to much of me.
Speed is nonsense.

S

Serithin

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for that clarification. I am learning quite a bit lately. So LFE is preferable to let the AVR processor distribute the crossover levels?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does me posting videos have to do with anything?
A video without a particular breakdown isn't particularly helpful and just giving extra clicks to someone who doesn't deserve any.....nicer if you mention what you found interesting in a video and asked questions about what you might not have understood....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis