ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
My subs are set to minus 15, but say when I put on some 70's or 80's Bowie I can bump that to minus 10 with good results.
Maybe veering OT, and I could be being OCD...but it seems to me that the crossover between mains and subs is equally as imprtant as that between a midrange and a tweeter. It's part of overall system calibration. Boosting the sub(s) independantly and arbitrarily messes up what should be a carefully calibrated crossover. Once the sub/mains crossover has been acomplished, it should be left alone until you physically move stuff around, necessitating a recalibration. Other eq can be applied subsequently, for taste, for specific recordings, for loudness compensation, or whatever other reason.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Maybe veering OT, and I could be being OCD...but it seems to me that the crossover between mains and subs is equally as imprtant as that between a midrange and a tweeter. It's part of overall system calibration. Boosting the sub(s) independantly and arbitrarily messes up what should be a carefully calibrated crossover. Once the sub/mains crossover has been acomplished, it should be left alone until you physically move stuff around, necessitating a recalibration. Other eq can be applied subsequently, for taste, for specific recordings, for loudness compensation, or whatever other reason.
You are being OCD....what works,works.
Maybe give Pioneer your two cents for putting that button there. (that works so well)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Because the dac is better quality. That makes the sound better. As well as some other internals. That is why it cost more even though it has no internal amplification while the cheaper AVR does.
No, not how it works. It costs more because it's a boutique brand without economies of scale. Buggy, too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Maybe veering OT, and I could be being OCD...but it seems to me that the crossover between mains and subs is equally as imprtant as that between a midrange and a tweeter.
Mistakes in the crossover range to the subwoofer are much more forgiving due to the long wavelengths involved, so its possible to have a sub in a very different location than the rest of the speaker without a bad effect on the overall sound. The kind of timing difference that is acceptable from sub to speaker would be totally unacceptable between midrange and tweeter. It would be blatant and sound pretty bad.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
Maybe veering OT, and I could be being OCD...but it seems to me that the crossover between mains and subs is equally as important as that between a midrange and a tweeter. It's part of overall system calibration. Boosting the sub(s) independently and arbitrarily messes up what should be a carefully calibrated crossover. Once the sub/mains crossover has been accomplished, it should be left alone until you physically move stuff around, necessitating a recalibration. Other eq can be applied subsequently, for taste, for specific recordings, for loudness compensation, or whatever other reason.
When isolar8001 mentioned changing the sub from -15 to -10, I assumed that it was the sub level in dB being changed, not the crossover frequency. I don't recall ever reading about a forum member who routinely changes the crossover frequency depending on material. I used to change the sub level on the SVS app when I first got my sub but I since found a happy median and haven't touched it in ages.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
When isolar8001 mentioned changing the sub from -15 to -10, I assumed that it was the sub level in dB being changed, not the crossover frequency. I don't recall ever reading about a forum member who routinely changes the crossover frequency depending on material. I used to change the sub level on the SVS app when I first got my sub but I since found a happy median and haven't touched it in ages.
Yep, that's what I posted. ski2xblack must be thinking along a different line. Bumping up the sub level is kosher if you want to. (just put it back when you are done!)
I also use a nice program called Music Media Helper 7 sometimes to raise the sub level on old thin sounding 5.1 files.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
James and isolar, I was referring to using the sub's level setting as a crude tone control.

If, through careful calibration you've effected a near perfect LR2 (or LR4, or Butterworth) crossover between subs and mains, raising the sub level would also inevitably raise the crossover point, and certainly alter whether the drivers sum flat at that altered crossover freq.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis