What to do next ....

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Looks like your AVR supports 2 subs without needing a Y splitter. It should explain in your manual but from the picture, looks like sub front and sub back outs. You probably want to use the setting where you make both mono.
Now that I know this is a RXA2060, Yes this is right. :)

I would definitely set both subs as mono and this model can set the distances separately and typically one sub is in the front of the room (somewhat near center channel since voices are easier to localize) such as near the left or right main speaker and one somewhere else in the room. Probably not anywhere symmetrical to the first one as the sound waves can cancel each other creating a null (a void). Maybe try one at the end of a couch etc. It may work out to have one near field like that which can be nice. It takes a bit of effort to get them each placed right but a single sub can take a lot of effort too.

if you place a sub too close to a wall or especially tight in a corner, it will possibly be louder than you want. Ryan is right that you may need to move it a bit away from a wall,

I’m not experienced with the REW measurements yet that can quickly identify nulls etc but PENG and SHADYJ and others here are usually quick to help if you send screenshots.

Last edited:
Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Now that I know this is a RXA2060, Yes this is right. :)

I would definitely set both subs as mono and this model can set the distances separately and typically one sub is in the front of the room (somewhat near center channel since voices are easier to localize) such as near the left or right main speaker and one somewhere else in the room. Probably not anywhere symmetrical to the first one as the sound waves can cancel each other creating a null (a void). Maybe try one at the end of a couch etc. It may work out to have one near field like that which can be nice. It takes a bit of effort to get them each placed right but a single sub can take a lot of effort too.

if you place a sub too close to a wall or especially tight in a corner, it will possibly be louder than you want. Ryan is right that you may need to move it a bit away from a wall,

I’m not experienced with the REW measurements yet that can quickly identify nulls etc but PENG and SHADYJ and others here are usually quick to help if you send screenshots.
Can you draw me a blueprint of that. I am unsure about the location, and to be honest i am really visual, so it can help a bit.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Can you draw me a blueprint of that. I am unsure about the location, and to be honest i am really visual, so it can help a bit.
Not sure if it all sounds like alphabet soup but I’m using the right words. I’m not sure what I would draw. I’m not skilled in that way. Maybe another person can explain better.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
Not sure if it all sounds like alphabet soup but I’m using the right words. I’m not sure what I would draw. I’m not skilled in that way. Maybe another person can explain better.
So far this is my HT room. I am working on refreshing it. This is my setup. There will be a couch in the middle to accomodate 3 person. ATM it doesnt look like i cant put a sub in the front because of lack of space. But i still can modify the fourniture to accomodate one sub in the front if this is necessary.

I was asking you a drwing because my english is very bad, and i want to make sure i got your info corectly.
Blueprint gif.jpg

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
So far this is my HT room. I am working on refreshing it. This is my setup. There will be a couch in the middle to accomodate 3 person. ATM it doesnt look like i cant put a sub in the front because of lack of space. But i still can modify the fourniture to accomodate one sub in the front if this is necessary.

I was asking you a drwing because my english is very bad, and i want to make sure i got your info corectly.
View attachment 30188
So yes one sub is usually in the front. (or possibly in front of one of your main speakers is close enough) Not doing that is less of an issue if your center is capable of a clean 80hz crossover.

The reason is when watching TV or movies, 70% of the sound including 99% of the dialog is from the center speaker. The brain can get used to pretty much whatever in a few months but you typically will notice if voices sound weird.

The obvious other location to try is behind your couch. Sideways if that saves space.

I believe some people have done 2 subs behind the couch. Like @Danzilla31 had at his old house.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
can you send me a picture of you theater room with both your subs?
I don't have a theater room, just my living room. I'm more a music guy than theater, but I like my movies and TV too.

20170716_114228-1305x734.jpg
45441-1160x653.jpeg

All in all with openings into the kitchen/dining room behind me, a room and a hallway I'm pressurizing over 5000^3 of area. The 15's do a very nice job, but if I fall into a pit of money I wouldn't mind having even 2 more (I'd put them in the kitchen behind me)!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have that same one in my Home Theater room. :)

It’s 5.2.4 or 7.2.2 so ya 9.2 channels. Or you can get crazy and wire 5.2.4 plus 7.2 surround back and flip back and forth based on source material but you can’t do 7.2.4.
That's about the only reason I hesitated to recommend Yamaha vs D&M's because unless you go all the way to the 30X0 you are limited to 9 channels (discrete) processing. I don't know, I always prefer 7.1 vs 5.1 even in for my small room, and likewise I prefer 7.1.4 if I want to do Atmos, that's just me..

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
That's about the only reason I hesitated to recommend Yamaha vs D&M's because unless you go all the way to the 30X0 you are limited to 9 channels (discrete) processing. I don't know, I always prefer 7.1 vs 5.1 even in for my small room, and likewise I prefer 7.1.4 if I want to do Atmos, that's just me..
I never even considered Atmos in my purchase but I plan to go 5.1.4 if I ever catch up at work so I can take a day off and install the 4 speakers. :)

My particular theater room in my house is a bit short for 7.1.4. I had 6.1 back in 2003 to 2007 so I know what I’m missing.

Patrick Kennedy

Patrick Kennedy

Audioholic
I don't have a theater room, just my living room. I'm more a music guy than theater, but I like my movies and TV too.

View attachment 30189View attachment 30190

All in all with openings into the kitchen/dining room behind me, a room and a hallway I'm pressurizing over 5000^3 of area. The 15's do a very nice job, but if I fall into a pit of money I wouldn't mind having even 2 more (I'd put them in the kitchen behind me)!
Wow it is a very nice setup

nbk13nw

nbk13nw

Full Audioholic
Behind the couch nearfield is awesome! I have 4 x 18", two placed on either side and two nearfield behind the couch.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So yes one sub is usually in the front. (or possibly in front of one of your main speakers is close enough) Not doing that is less of an issue if your center is capable of a clean 80hz crossover.

The reason is when watching TV or movies, 70% of the sound including 99% of the dialog is from the center speaker. The brain can get used to pretty much whatever in a few months but you typically will notice if voices sound weird.

The obvious other location to try is behind your couch. Sideways if that saves space.

I believe some people have done 2 subs behind the couch. Like @Danzilla31 had at his old house.
What I experienced is near field is awesome but it's trickier to integrate with the front 3 up front I achieved my best results with one near field behind the couch on the right and one on the front wall in between the center tower and the left speaker. Those were the two best spots in my room and it sounded wonderful paired like that.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Wow it is a very nice setup
Thank you. I can honestly say I don't believe it would have turned out as well had not found the guys here. I was patient, asked lots of questions, did some of my own research, checked my biases at the door and learned a lot. I think you did a good thing opening up a thread here to ask questions. Good luck with your project!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Well, you're going to have to buy my book to find out. :p:D

I believe I've had my RBH SX-T2/R MODULAR towers for probably close to 5 years now. My SVT MODULAR towers are about 2 years old.

I bought many speakers and subs because I was just listening to people telling me WHAT I should buy and that this one speaker is better than the other.

But it has to come down to the individual digging deep, being 100% honest with himself and finding out what kind of speaker they truly want.

If they can't answer that question YET, then I don't think they're ready to upgrade and spend thousands of dollars.

As for me, you're not going to find me buying many bookshelf speakers or single-box towers.

Why? Well, because I.....FOUND MY THRILL..... :p:cool::D
Do you ever miss your room of too many speakers? So many nice choices...;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis