What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Since none of my AVRs have neither networking nor bluetooth facilities, I purchased this bluetooth receiver that allows me to connect into one of the AVR's inputs.

1545406410798.png
1545406487502.png

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought a Yamaha K720 and it arrived a week before Christmas and set it up on Christmas day. Physically, its a bigger and substantially heavier deck than the KX-630. I will be using this deck in my bedroom for playback purposes only replacing the KX-630. Its a 2 head auto reverse deck and I must say that its playback capability is better than that of the K630 on Dolby C encoded tapes. I bought it for its dbx capability and it sounds as good with dbx as my KX-800U regardless what direction the playback is in.

Here are some pics;
IMG_0595.jpg
IMG_0598.jpg
IMG_0599.jpg

S

Spdmn256

Junior Audioholic
I just got an SVS SB-3000 sub. I also replaced all my speaker cables, hdmi and network cables with blue jeans cables.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
He who dies with the most Denon AVR's wins? So, we're at my friend's dad's house helping him clean out his garage and to load some (bane of my existence) humongous sleeper/sofa onto a trailer and my friend tells his dad that I build my own speakers. To make conversation, his dad tells me about back in the day systems he used to have. Pretty much the same kind of names that my parents used to buy. So I tell him I am just using an AVR to power my system and he says; "Oh, we have one of those, but we never really got into home movies and the realtor just threw it in with the house when we bought it." Kids got the speakers and this thing has been sitting unused and never really was used at all. I wasn't charging him for the help but he insisted I take it and I can give it to one of my kids or whatever.

So to my surprise, it's not only a Denon AVR, but a 3805, which I already have two of! So now I have three of the same.

Here it is, hooked up to my Classix2's (Paul Carmody) and everything seems to work. Haven't hooked up a sub yet but I bet that all works too. Last setting on this had the fronts set to Large and he doesn't recall a subwoofer ever being in the system. At any rate, the AVR looks like new and there isn't a mark on it. I tried the tuner and connected my Tascam CD player to it and it played for a few hrs to let it warm up to operating temp for awhile.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
...2 head auto reverse deck ... Dolby C encoded tapes ... dbx
Strange sensation... inklings of memories stirring of a long forgotten and distant universe!
Where do these words come from and why do they seem strangely familiar?
Maybe from a former life?
Is reincarnation a thing?
Are you some kind of Time Lord (like Dr. Who)?

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
I've bought dual SVS SB-3000 subwoofers to replacing my ageing and smaller SVS SB-12NSD, and Canton Vento 886.2 floorstanders in cherry high gloss finish that is replacing my older smaller Canton Vento 870.2 floorstanders.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I've bought dual SVS SB-3000 subwoofers to replacing my ageing and smaller SVS SB-12NSD, and Canton Vento 886.2 floorstanders in cherry high gloss finish that is replacing my older smaller Canton Vento 870.2 floorstanders.
That's a HUGE jump in subwoofers! Night & day difference, more output in every way. Not quite the quantum leap in speakers, but still significant.

Congratulations!

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
That's a HUGE jump in subwoofers! Night & day difference, more output in every way. Not quite the quantum leap in speakers, but still significant.

Congratulations!
Thanks!

The dual SB-3000 was quite an improvement, but I have to tweak a bit the SW placement (limited, sadly) and the Audyssey XT32 calibration mic placement. According to REW the output is dropping after 32Hz at MLP (along with a few other issues),which is something I'll look more into when I get the new loudspeakers this week and the room layout is more "post Christmas".

Apart from the Denon AVR-X4200W, I bought the speakers, Panasonic plasma, AV furniture, SVS SB-12NSD, Oppo BDP-93EU, Harmony Universal remote seven years ago. Not sure if I'm going to replace the centre as nowadays Canton does not have them in cherry highgloss, same with bookshelves.

As for my 42" Panasonic plasma I'm still waiting for OLED to have better motion, less burn-in risk, near-black uniformity. Perhaps this years models will be good enough for me.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I bought these 4 new albums on 180 gm vinyl and it comes with a down load coupon for 320 MPs mp3.

1547063512855.png

1547063531288.png

1547063542974.png

1547063556290.png

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Got two gift cards from my boss for the holidays. Gave one to the wife, and used the other on music.

pinkfloyd.wishingyou.mcsacd.JPGninasimone.littlegirl.sacd.JPGcarolking.tapestry.sacd.JPGvanessafernandez.useme.sacd.JPGjohncoltrane.coltranesacdmono.JPG

Pink Floyd...Wishing You Were Here...Multi-ch SACD...I have the CD...this is very good surround mix, but it's different enough to take some getting use to.

Nina Simone...Little Girl Blue...SACD...wow, interesting soundstaging has her vocals in the left channel, but so pure, so clean, the details in her voice are amazing.

Carole King...Tapestry, Multi-ch SACD...I've heard this LP, CD and now the SACD (I've only played the 2.0 layer) this classic recording is what it is...a bit thin sounding, lacking fullness in the midrange/bass...but just awesome songs. The SACD is from the original master and takes on that same characteristic only slightly improved.

Vanessa Fernandez...Use Me...SACD...This singer from Singapore with the great voice covers some heavy hitting R&B tunes, including Al Green's classic "Simply Beautiful" and Marvin Gaye's "Distance Lover". The vocals are clear and her musicians do a great job.

John Coltrane...Coltrane...SACD (mono)...1957...Regarded as his 1st recording as a band leader, but Coltrane was already been well established with his work as the feature sax with Miles Davis, and Thelonious Monk. Here, Coltrane branches out a little more with solos. My second in the mono series from Prestige...for me SQ a notch below the stereo SACDs I have, but if you like Coltrane you won't be disappointed.

V

viseral audio

Audioholic
I just bought a mini dsp, although I have no idea how to use it or where I'm gonna use it!

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
For her.

For me (I am almost done with it, played over the holiday)

Good/bad news, after ~8 or 9 yrs, my Samsung 3D LED TV is starting to have issues. I have dark stripes going through the screen right in the middle, possibly the LED backlight :( Good thing is TVs are much cheaper now, bad news is I didn't want to spend $2k on a TV right now even though the deals are good right now.

Looking at the 65" QLED

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN65Q7F-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B079YVWRZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1547141876&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+qled+65

2channel lover

For her.

For me (I am almost done with it, played over the holiday)

Good/bad news, after ~8 or 9 yrs, my Samsung 3D LED TV is starting to have issues. I have dark stripes going through the screen right in the middle, possibly the LED backlight :( Good thing is TVs are much cheaper now, bad news is I didn't want to spend $2k on a TV right now even though the deals are good right now.

Looking at the 65" QLED

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-QN65Q7F-Flat-QLED-Smart/dp/B079YVWRZQ/ref=sr_1_3?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1547141876&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+qled+65
My son is showing that he may actually be moving out this year. Once he does, I promised him my old B&W speakers and the 60" plasma for his 1st place.

I don't have quite the same degree of perfection for video as I do audio. I'm interested in the 75" Sony...either a closeout 900 series or the X850F. The real key is screen size...I'm 13' away...not terrible, but 75" look a lot better than 60" from that distance.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
My son is showing that he may actually be moving out this year. Once he does, I promised him my old B&W speakers and the 60" plasma for his 1st place.

I don't have quite the same degree of perfection for video as I do audio. I'm interested in the 75" Sony...either a closeout 900 series or the X850F. The real key is screen size...I'm 13' away...not terrible, but 75" look a lot better than 60" from that distance.
I would prefer the 75" but my rack won't support it without some changes. My center sits on top and the frame that holds the TV won't allow it to go up high enough to be above the center. So that means reconfigure or remote the rack (Salamander Synergy), or get a new rack. None of those really appeal to me.

2channel lover

I would prefer the 75" but my rack won't support it without some changes. My center sits on top and the frame that holds the TV won't allow it to go up high enough to be above the center. So that means reconfigure or remote the rack (Salamander Synergy), or get a new rack. None of those really appeal to me.
I'm wall mounting with the AV rack below...I could go even larger, but 75" seems to be perfect.

BTW...Salamander makes good stuff.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a window behind my rack which is why I have to use the mounting frame. The Salamander can be reconfigured so there's no center beam so I can put the center inside the rack but then I lose 2 shelves. With the amp and 205, I won't have much room left in there. That would also mean pulling the entire rack apart to reconfigure.

Like this:

I could also add a riser to the top and just put the TV on top:

Last edited:

2channel lover

I was looking at this same Salamander model...the more I tweaked it to work with my system, the more expensive it got. I ended up with 2 open shelving units and the CC on top...this is a nice unit pictured.

Our AV spaces...Like most, my space had a mix of good and bad....in the end, we make it work...:)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis