What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
It’s recorded so there are very quiet scenes and then loud scenes. I’ll need to watch it when my GF is away. She always messes with the volume by turning it way down when the loud scenes happen. :) There is a lot of bass and rumble in scene/chapter 10. When they land the ship and when waves hit it and when the ship takes off again. :)
Tell her to leave that remote alone or she'll have the title "girlfriend" forever! :)

TechHDS

Audioholic General
Two RBH Impression Elite speakers R55E’s, R515E center Gloss Black!
Sexy looking speakers. Oh did I tell ya how awesome they sound?
2063FFDE-0459-40A1-BED3-A239506477E3.jpeg

Last edited:
M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Been working on a little car audio for my 99 Tacoma. Upgraded the front/rear door/wall speakers to Infinity 6532ex, which exposed some loose/flimsy sheet metal, which lead to a sound deadener mat. Noico 80mil. A friend of my kids suggested this as a good alternative to the more expensive stuff, and I was able to hear a demo of what he did to his own car. All I really need is the doors done.

The other thing I ended up wanting to do, after trying the new door speakers first is, adding a 4 channel amp for the four 6.5" infinity speakers I just installed. To be honest, the speakers are loud enough, even though the somewhat dated Alpine CDA-9825 head unit with it's whopping, 18W of power, leaves a bit on the table on anything less than audiophile grade recordings/music. I intend to get most of the lower, or sub bass at least, out of the doors, and into a smallish subwoofer/amp of it's own next. Still, the Alpine CDA-9825 has quite a few features when using the pre-outs instead of the head unit's own amps. Admittedly, I have yet to dive that far into the manual for it but skimming thru it looks like I will be able to use it for awhile yet and already has accommodations for external source in the center console.

Alpine MRV-F300 4 channel amp. (50Wrms x 4 into 4 ohms, with speakers rated at 55Wrms)

Some other things I have added is a power distribution block under the dash. One 4 gauge wire/fuse from the battery to it, and from there I can branch off to smaller wires. 4 gauge is overkill but it fit the distribution block so will go with that and 8 gauge, or even 10 to the amps.

Whoever had installed the last speakers, did not use adapter rings and the screws didn't line up. They had maybe one screw out of 4, with washers under screws basically just clamping the speakers down. Plus, they had ripped a couple of the door panel clips out so I will need to repair some of the keyholes in the hardboard backing. Some epoxy and glass cloth should do.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Went yard/ estate sale shopping and found these. Spent a total of 3 dollars on all. Definite win lol
Good score! I love garage sales.
These I got for almost free

The driver(10” pioneer) my wife got for free. Owner had no idea what it was. The enclosure I got for 2 bucks because I felt generous, and the amp, my friend gave me for teaching his daughter to play drums.
I mounted them in my blue Sea Ray, named” Blue Ray”. (Yep. I’m that nerdy lol)
Edit: picture was before cable cleanup...lol

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Rockville SS8P powered 100w car subwoofer. The name was too corny an Asian knockoff name to pass up and it had good reviews. I don't really discount quality from China anymore, since it is essentially unavoidable. Even with domestic brands I had been so loyal to for over a lifetime by now. I feel better about it with so much help from computers in just about every aspect of manufacturing these days, while others charge for a step up in component quality perhaps, that ends up translating what it would cost for a highly skilled artisan to make each piece by hand instead, for essentially the same things it seems.

Anyway, for $85, I figured WTH. I just needed a lower end to fill out my new 6.5" door and rear speakers, the new amp driving them and the sound deadening treatment to the flimsy door skins, inside and out. I know we can't tell audio quality directly from a recording over the internet, but you can often tell if there is potential there, and their demo was pretty convincing, and it ended up pretty much sounding as good in person!

The housing is aluminum and the unit has some heft to it. I have it mounted under the passenger seat, and it can be moved elsewhere. Now I have the Alpine amp crossed over at 80hz to the sub and this system now sounds excellent.

When I dug into this on Sunday, I changed the system over to the pre-outs and powered off the Alpine head unit's internal amp. I thought all I would have to do is connect into the leads in the dash to the amp. What I found was a wiring nightmare of the lamp cord variety. The front and rear speakers were daisy chained on the front channels. I basically had to rewire the entire system. Not only that, after I got the seats all out, I realized I had forgotten splice hardware, so I ended up having to solder and heat shrink everything.

I did manage to install a distribution block under the dash. I only wanted one hookup to the battery. The dist block is under the dash and the sub and Alpine amp are connected there.

Ended up taking both seats out ('99'Toyota Tacoma) and was able to run the bulk of the harnesses on either side of the trans tunnel. Time will tell if the low cost of this sub will reveal itself in exchange for longevity of any sort but, for now, it sounds pretty darned good. An 8" sub is still potent in a xtracab pickup. The bass is accurate for music. While it would not win any SPL contests compared to the overkill that is in autos now, it really does music well.

Adding the 50wpc Alpine amp to the new infinity speakers was a night/day difference compared to the head unit. Granted, had all four channels been utilized initially, the head unit would have held it's own for normal listening. I ended up rewiring the head unit and all four speakers, wiring in the new amps in 10 hrs total. Plus I cleaned the carpet while the seats were out.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Moving into the new flat today :)
That view is to die for!
Congratulations. I envy you that you can live on the water front like that!
Studying the photo, is that yellow structure a crane for lifting boats out of the water?

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Nike Apple Watch 4 GPS Only
Since work will not let me add this to the corporate account, went with GPS only. I have used the version 2, and finally apple gave me enough of a reason to upgrade. The extra screen size, resolution and quality has greatly improved.

watch1.jpg

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
That view is to die for!
Congratulations. I envy you that you can live on the water front like that!
Studying the photo, is that yellow structure a crane for lifting boats out of the water?
Thx a lot, it’s almost surreal livng at the seafront, feels like being just on top of the seafront, I absolutely love it, to the point of living here being magical, especially in evenings with all the light reflecting into the sea.

Right now my dining area is next to large windows facing the seafront. It’s an understatement to say I like it :)

The yellow crane is left from where was previosly a shipyard, now being rebuilt to commercial and residential area. I think they keep it to save the memories of what was there before. I will try to find out why it’s still therre.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
That is a pretty cool landmark, and not knowing what the shore looks like from sea, may be a significant landmark for navigation!

I used to live in the Western North Carolina Mountains, and I would just go about my work-a-day routine, but about 3 or 4 times a week, I'd be on my way to work or driving back home and "wake up", look out my window at the mountains and think "Wow! I live here!" in the simple wonder of joy.
I'd imagine having such a view at home when you are taking your shoes off and settling in is all the better! Just watching the waves and ripples of the water is a great way to unwind!
Maybe an unobtrusive low-volume near-field system for the patio? Or maybe earbuds/phones.
Again congratulations, I applaud your good fortune!

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Spartan
That is a pretty cool landmark, and not knowing what the shore looks like from sea, may be a significant landmark for navigation!

I used to live in the Western North Carolina Mountains, and I would just go about my work-a-day routine, but about 3 or 4 times a week, I'd be on my way to work or driving back home and "wake up", look out my window at the mountains and think "Wow! I live here!" in the simple wonder of joy.
I'd imagine having such a view at home when you are taking your shoes off and settling in is all the better! Just watching the waves and ripples of the water is a great way to unwind!
Maybe an unobtrusive low-volume near-field system for the patio? Or maybe earbuds/phones.
Again congratulations, I applaud your good fortune!
Thanks again :)

I think you might have a pretty good view yourself .... The North Carolina Mountains looks like it's pretty far from .... well, anywhere :)

Well, I am a guy raised by the sea and I need to see the sea from my home. I am already sensing some of the magic of the area, before I have things set up properly :)

Before I bougth this flat I lived half a year in a rented place almost water-front and I understood there is a magic to this !!!!

I am pretty constrained with music system in the living room and there is really no space for anything big here ... My current main speakers are some small Duntech bookshelfs but I'd really like to upgrade to some Piega floorstanders, another constraint is that speakers must be pretty close to front wall, which basically means closed box or front ported transmission line, generally I am no fan of bass reflex.

No real big space for subs, absolute maximum would be something like JL Audio E-110 or E-112. But I really can't afford any of that now. I am pretty darn constrained with money now.... so I may temporarily be looking at some transmission line woofer system from Troels Gravesen, the Ellam FLEX 3W or possibly Jenzen Next (Woofers only) and active x-over. It's not going to be that expensive and its going to make a difference. There are some really hi-end drivers in these constructions though. Music system on patio culd be interesting for spring, but it mu st be seriously waterproof, LOL

The constraints in terms of what I can fit into the room in terms of music system is a limitation very easy to live with, thinking of what else this area has to offer. I will post some photos when I'm done.

Last edited:
S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall
I bought a Jico SAS stylus for one of my 30 year old Shure V15V-MR cartridges. It makes the cartridge sound somewhat different in tone from the orginal Shure stylus. I can't say that one is preferable to the other, just gives me the ability to now enjoy either turntable in my system without any effort.
24383058560_f6f4bbd7cf_o.jpg

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
A 4 burner Blaze natural gas grill and the crown jewel is a Primo XL Oval smoker/grill (basically the American made version of the Big Green Egg). Built the island from a galvanized metal kit.

Finished just in time for football season!

1540477701714.png

Going with a little dual zone cook here with my veggies on direct heat and broccoli roasting on indirect heat.

1540477780704.png

The all veggies moved the indirect heat side and made way for the main attraction of the evening.
1540477947456.png

OMG...16 oz north atlantic wild caught lobster tails.

It was a great meal with a glass of white wine...all the while listening to the bluray, Blue Train by John Coltrane.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Trying to move my control system fully to IP. Bummer is that both JVC and Oppo don't seem to play nice. So I picked up one of these to be able to use RS232 for those two.

Been playing with iRule. No Alexa integration which is a bummer but a great interface to build your system.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
The other day, I went to open the bottle to apply to an album that I had purchased used and looked dirty. When I opened the cap, the plastic tip broke off in the cap. I had to buy another bottle to replace the broken one. I seldom use it but there are times when I need too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis