What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
LG is doing big things in OLED. I am predicting that in the next 2 years LG will dethrone Samsung in TV's...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Almost $2k worth of stuff for our upcoming first baby boy. He's not even born, but already getting spoiled.

As an IT person i decided to skip on traditional baby monitors (they suck) and get a proper ptz wireless security camera with 2 way audio. Not afraid of complicated setup, looking forward it actually

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
So my great idea where I order 3 flatpacks hit a small snag today when I realized I had no way to clamp all those pieces together. Now, the description on the website said that people have put them together with no clamps, using only tape to hold them together while the glued dried. Well those people ain't me and I'm guessing they weren't dropping LMS Ultras into these cabs. So 6-36" Jorgensen clamps were a must.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
LG is doing big things in OLED. I am predicting that in the next 2 years LG will dethrone Samsung in TV's...
That will never happen :) Vizio has surpassed LG for displays even. Samsung will probably remain the top of the food chain for OLED, but Sharp is making a big push too.

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
if OLED is the future, LG is currently the only company with an OLED set in production. Samsung has scaled back their OLED products because of of low yeilds and high costs. LG however uses a different production method which is much more cost effective, and while at 3500 the 55 inch is still expensive... its considerably less then the 10000 that oled sets costed last year. Add to that a few quarters of samsung not meeting its profit goals, and LG exceeding theirs... Well lets just wait a year a see what happens

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
if OLED is the future, LG is currently the only company with an OLED set in production. Samsung has scaled back their OLED products because of of low yeilds and high costs. LG however uses a different production method which is much more cost effective, and while at 3500 the 55 inch is still expensive... its considerably less then the 10000 that oled sets costed last year. Add to that a few quarters of samsung not meeting its profit goals, and LG exceeding theirs... Well lets just wait a year a see what happens
Hopefully, their OLED panels will be more reliable than their LED panels

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
OLED is the future, no doubt about it and maybe LG is ahead of the curve (for now), but LG wont be getting my hard earned dollars anytime soon (or ever again)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
OLED is the future, no doubt about it and maybe LG is ahead of the curve (for now), but LG wont be getting my hard earned dollars anytime soon (or ever again)
THIS would be LG's problem, not the fact that they're able to produce the displays at a price point. They're selling them because they have them and that's the only reason. Once the other factories come online for the big names, OLED will take off and prices will come down. Yield has always been the issue for OLED, but that will change very quickly once it becomes the focus. I wouldn't touch an LG display right now.

This came yesterday

jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
If you are looking towards an OLED future, you wont get any help from Samsung...
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/10/samsung_slams_door_on_oled_tvs_goes_to_quantum_dot_next/
I'm really not an LG fan boy, if I were in the market for a TV right now I would likely jump on a Vizio M series, or possibly a Sony set.
This is just the only place that I can find that slams LG, and I do search...
Google it, LG is the only company investing a meaningful amount of money into large panel OLED TV's right now. While Samsung and Sony look towards a more temporary future of Quantum Dot, which is still an LCD tech.
http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-to-quadruple-oled-panel-production-in-december/
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/television/has-lg-made-a-breakthrough-in-oled-tv-production--1267431
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/oled-tvs-arent-dead/
If you are all going to sing the praises of OLED... You just may have to hope LG ,or "low grade" as you like to put it, will do something with the tech...
As far as LG having problems getting peoples hard earned money..
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-07-24/lg-electronics-profit-beats-estimates-on-tv-sales-g3.html
That really doesn't seem to be that big of a problem...
Samsung on the other hand...
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-23/samsung-profit-misses-estimates-as-new-iphones-win-share.html

Last edited:
jcparks

jcparks

Full Audioholic
My apologies to afterlife... I have no intention on hijacking your thread.. I will start a new thread in the TV section if you guys want to continue the conversation there as I am enjoying the debate.. :)
link...
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/lg-oled-thread-continued.92857/

And back on topic...
since someone broke into my car and helped them selves to my old equipment...
Here is 150 dollars worth of christmas money that I wasn't planning on spending

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I'm glad to report I have now gone almost a year without buying any equipment. My last purchase a year ago was my big Panny plasma screen.

I just love it. It produces really natural colors and details. I hope I will have it for many years. At my viewing distance the margins are just in peripheral vision, this has put the visual stage in synch with the sound stage, which is a big improvement. Psychologically it seems to "improve" the sound.

My listening viewing patterns continue to evolve with technology. I have bought much fewer CDs/SACDs. I have bought more BDs.

I have renewed subscriptions to the Berlin Philharmonic Digital Concert Hall, Medici TV and Met Player. I also enjoyed this years Proms via my VPN tunnel to the UK. Streaming really is improving. A couple of nights ago I watched Beethoven's Symphony N0. 9 from Berlin to celebrate the 25th anniversary of the end of the Berlin Wall. This was a fantastic performance with stunning video and audio. This concert is a free one, by the way, and I would encourage anyone inclined to view the concert.

This brings me to the next issue. I have come to enjoy having a picture with my music more and more. I am at the point of not conceiving a system without a TV screen. I could not see ever designing an audio only system for myself again.

Personally I think an HTPC is the handiest way of accessing the wonders of all this streaming. I really don't like using BD and media players etc, which are really bare bones Linux boxes. Yes, the bones are bare, they are slow. I just love the HTPC I built just over two years ago. I'm certain that I use this and my audio work station more than other devices now.

Times, they are a changing. My regret is that so many who would love what I enjoy, are locked out due to technical complexity. That is the real scandal of the AV industry.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
The Panny looks great TLS!
Used From member
gladiator335 great deal on the HB-1 MK2 Horn Bookshelf Speaker, my xmas gift to myself. That's it for gear this year I'm broke.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
QSC GX5 amp. Not brand new but the price was right. That's gonna drive my rear subs. Since I don't have the room for 7.2 anymore (running 5.2 now) I might as well run 4 subs.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis