What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Natrix

Natrix

Junior Audioholic
I have the 305's for my computer setup, very nice set of monitors.
I have the older version 2325 in my office at work and I love them. They unfortunately don't get a chance to exercise their legs, but they're still great even at low volumes. This new set will be used at home and I went with the 308 hoping to negate the feeling of needing a sub.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
them ultras have such a nice look to them, nice shape and svs's piano is about the bet I have ever seen... Pair them with a new set of sb2000's in piano, a nice pair of mono blocks, and a dac {maybe zdac and a pair of zampa} with volume control maybe a mini dsp and you will have one heck of a 2.2 system....

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I moved the 7 channel amp and saw a need for 3 pairs of these.

BJC wants $220 for their 7 analog cables. I thought about just making some with RG59 but that's like work.

I looked at getting their speaker wire to but that was close to $300. I've only been back to work a week and already I'm at this.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
them ultras have such a nice look to them, nice shape and svs's piano is about the bet I have ever seen... Pair them with a new set of sb2000's in piano, a nice pair of mono blocks, and a dac {maybe zdac and a pair of zampa} with volume control maybe a mini dsp and you will have one heck of a 2.2 system....
Whoa, you need to slow down lol. MiniDSP would mean stereo subs, which is basically turning the 2 ways into 3 ways, which is more or less designing a new speaker, so I probably wouldn't do that. However, a nice little processor with bass management and then a miniDSP to split the sub out signal to two subs wouldn't be a bad idea. In any case, I figure out where the SVS speakers are even going first. I bought them without an immediate need for a mental health present as the new job is already driving me a little batty.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
MiniDSP would mean stereo subs, which is basically turning the 2 ways into 3 ways, which is more or less designing a new speaker, so I probably wouldn't do that.

? teach me... I am lost, I do this all the time, it sounds fantastic... I try to cross my subs as low as possible and they sound awesome..

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
? teach me... I am lost, I do this all the time, it sounds fantastic... I try to cross my subs as low as possible and they sound awesome..
Crossing as low as possible probably what's making it work. However, technically, using the miniDSP 2X4 and going L/R in to L speaker/L subwoofer and R speaker/R subwoofer out means that you're using the miniDSP as another crossover. You're taking the L signal and R signal crossing them over separately from each other, which means you now have stereo subs aka it's still technically a 2.0 system albeit a 3 way system instead of a 2.2 system. Now this can cause a lot of problems if you cross too high, but can also yield some pretty good results if you know what you're doing and what to look for when matching the sub to the woofer. Now the difference, which I'm sure you've caught on to by now, is that when you cross over using bass management it crosses both the L and R signals to the sub (or more in a surround setup). This a mono configuration and lends itself to crossing low so the sound is omnidirectional and allows you to place subs all over the place. If you cross high enough with stereo subs then the subwoofer has to be placed very specifically in line with the woofer (although now more midwoofer) and tweeter and height could even be important as well.

I'm pretty sure that's all mostly correct, but corrections are always welcome.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Get a new credit card, did ya? :D
I wish :p But not really. I had a giftcard and a stress level that exceeded my coping mechanisms. So I went straight female and did a little retail therapy. :D

JohnnieB

JohnnieB

Senior Audioholic
Just made final layaway payment. Delivery should be next week.

204210422_14-21ab.jpg

Girl is happy, so I can move on to other goodies, like my new sub.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
late last night i discovered that my ac drain is clogged again and my secondary couldn't keep up (again) so the pan overflowed and i got another big leak with some more water damage to the bathroom ceiling upstairs. i probably could have caught it earlier but i rarely go up there :/

ended up buying this today since i couldn't sleep last night due to the lack of a/c:

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Sorry about the A/C! How well does that little portable one work? I've thought about having an emergency back-up around to keep Niki cool in case the A/C cuts out.

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
Crossing as low as possible probably what's making it work. However, technically, using the miniDSP 2X4 and going L/R in to L speaker/L subwoofer and R speaker/R subwoofer out means that you're using the miniDSP as another crossover. You're taking the L signal and R signal crossing them over separately from each other, which means you now have stereo subs aka it's still technically a 2.0 system albeit a 3 way system instead of a 2.2 system. Now this can cause a lot of problems if you cross too high, but can also yield some pretty good results if you know what you're doing and what to look for when matching the sub to the woofer. Now the difference, which I'm sure you've caught on to by now, is that when you cross over using bass management it crosses both the L and R signals to the sub (or more in a surround setup). This a mono configuration and lends itself to crossing low so the sound is omnidirectional and allows you to place subs all over the place. If you cross high enough with stereo subs then the subwoofer has to be placed very specifically in line with the woofer (although now more midwoofer) and tweeter and height could even be important as well.

I'm pretty sure that's all mostly correct, but corrections are always welcome.
I was always a "tower" guy, then I added a sub, it was a 15" ported sub, decent enough reviews, nice sound, but it just was not rite, unnatural, seemed forced.. So I played with crossing, found the lower you cross the better the sound and integration, now that doesn't mean cross at 40hz, I found between 58 and 82hz is low enough for most systems and rooms... But the problem was the ported subs bass is all wrong for the music I listen to, now if I put on some Dr. Dre the bass sounded fine, not sure why that is, but with the acoustic stuff the ported sub sounded, well, BAD...

So I bought my first sealed sub, 10" and there was a big difference, the bass is faster, smoother, and integrated much better with the mains... Then I bought another one and it was all over, dual subs fixed a lot of the room issues, with a single sub you could place it with duals you swear the bass is coming from the mains...
I have since played with this a lot, I found that if you setup the system rite, paying close attention to balance keep the subs with the mains {inside seems to be better but that may because it allows the mains to be further apart}, cross as low as possible, and use a nice sealed sub the results are better than any tower you can buy form much less money...
My little csb1's with the svs12's sound HUGE, people that don't know the 2 boxes on the floors are subs hear it and say "wow them little speakers make all that bass", I explain to the the subs are 12" and 350watts but they still don't get it because it sounds like everything is coming from the bookshelfs....

I think I understand what you are saying about the 3 way vs 2.2, but I split the signal from the mini dsp and send the same signal to both subs, so you come out of the mini dsp go to your first sub with a pair of rca's and then another pair out of sub #1's line out to sub #2's input...
And when I balance them I put my meter at the listening position I turn the subs off and set my preamp to say a certain 80db, then I shut my mains and play a 45hz test tone through one sub at a time to 78db each, then I play both subs and see what the meter says if its way over the mains level I will turn each down to say 77 and retest them together... Then if I want a little more bass I can always use the parasounds boost to get it, because I hate to readjust once I get it perfect....

ImcLoud

ImcLoud

Audioholic Ninja
late last night i discovered that my ac drain is clogged again and my secondary couldn't keep up (again) so the pan overflowed and i got another big leak with some more water damage to the bathroom ceiling upstairs. i probably could have caught it earlier but i rarely go up there :/

ended up buying this today since i couldn't sleep last night due to the lack of a/c:

Bud, that sucks.. Time to invest in a few of these http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Alert-Electronic-Batteries/dp/B002Q8GRPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408900798&sr=8-2&keywords=water+alarm , Why is this still clogging up?
is there a float switch on this unit? Little Giant 599122 ACS-2 Float Switch with 18-Inch Lead, 1-Pack - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com its simple to wire, just wire it to break your t-stats call for cool if it gets lifted... Its 2 wires, you can take the common or the 24v and just go to the switch then back to the unit...

you can get a gallo gun to blow out your 3/4" pvc drain too... https://www.acwholesalers.com/Diversitech/GG-1-Gallo-Gun-Condensate-Drain-Gun/11573.ac?gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2medgDj9qhiD9g84MIwu51NbF6_XMcsTvA6nuJL1gdo6eGgJxUvD_BwE

It may be time to put a pump up there, if your secondary can't keep up....
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-VCMA-20ULS-Condensate-Removal/dp/B000SM342Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408901155&sr=8-1&keywords=condensate+pump they have alarm contacts so you know when the pump is working...

good luck let me know if you need any advice..

psbfan9

psbfan9

Audioholic Samurai

That sucks! Not the best time to be without aircon. If I remember right, Paradigmdawg mentioned he knows a guy. Maybe you could pm him and see what he has to say.

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
Sorry about the A/C! How well does that little portable one work? I've thought about having an emergency back-up around to keep Niki cool in case the A/C cuts out.
So far, not all that well lol. It's 10,000 BTU and supposed to be good for 450 sqft. My bedroom is 238 sq ft and bathroom and closet probably make it close to that total. My room is now 83 degrees with the unit on max. I guess it's better than the rest of the house which is 90 downstairs and 92 upstairs :/

Bud, that sucks.. Time to invest in a few of these http://www.amazon.com/Zircon-Leak-Alert-Electronic-Batteries/dp/B002Q8GRPG/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1408900798&sr=8-2&keywords=water+alarm , Why is this still clogging up?
is there a float switch on this unit? Little Giant 599122 ACS-2 Float Switch with 18-Inch Lead, 1-Pack - Sump Pump Accessories - Amazon.com its simple to wire, just wire it to break your t-stats call for cool if it gets lifted... Its 2 wires, you can take the common or the 24v and just go to the switch then back to the unit...

you can get a gallo gun to blow out your 3/4" pvc drain too... https://www.acwholesalers.com/Diversitech/GG-1-Gallo-Gun-Condensate-Drain-Gun/11573.ac?gclid=CjsKDwjwmuafBRCQ7ef6zJXhdRIkAFH2medgDj9qhiD9g84MIwu51NbF6_XMcsTvA6nuJL1gdo6eGgJxUvD_BwE

It may be time to put a pump up there, if your secondary can't keep up....
http://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-VCMA-20ULS-Condensate-Removal/dp/B000SM342Q/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1408901155&sr=8-1&keywords=condensate+pump they have alarm contacts so you know when the pump is working...

good luck let me know if you need any advice..
Thanks, I'll probably buy some of those in the future as well as that drain cleaner gun thing. It's probably still clogging because my lines are full of gunk for whatever reason. If I buy that pump I'd definitely need to ask you for help as well. I'm totally clueless when it comes to HVAC stuff (and most other home maintenance). Pretty much the only thing I do is change my filters regularly. I did replace my secondary pan some time ago (the secondary line looked really gross too). Not really sure how to clean out all the rust and stuff.

I have no idea what this part means :/

That sucks! Not the best time to be without aircon. If I remember right, Paradigmdawg mentioned he knows a guy. Maybe you could pm him and see what he has to say.
Yeah. It blows. Texas summers are definitely not fun to deal with. My system is ~12 years old and my lines are all full of crap I guess. If I can't get my lines cleared soon I'll maybe give him a call.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis