What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Finally have my toys looking nice. I picked up a 5v linear power supply and a bunch of inexpensive but heavy duty power cables and interconnects.
stereosmall.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday while I was doing the spring cleaning gig in the kitchen, I was listening to the system. After the Led Zep, I went over to the system and placed my hands over the AVR and noticed it was rather warm. I measured the air gap from the top of the AVR to the shelf and its only an inch. I'm worried that if I uses like this for an extended time (many months) that it will eventually break and malfunction, most likely the HDMI cards. I went on to Amazon and saw this listed for $169 Cdn . Did some quick measurements and I'm able to place the unit on top of the AVR if I remove the shelf. The unit exhausts to the front. The chassis is made of steel and can support an additional 30 pounds so I can safely put my deck and 4K player on it.

1677698126624.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yesterday while I was doing the spring cleaning gig in the kitchen, I was listening to the system. After the Led Zep, I went over to the system and placed my hands over the AVR and noticed it was rather warm. I measured the air gap from the top of the AVR to the shelf and its only an inch. I'm worried that if I uses like this for an extended time (many months) that it will eventually break and malfunction, most likely the HDMI cards. I went on to Amazon and saw this listed for $169 Cdn . Did some quick measurements and I'm able to place the unit on top of the AVR if I remove the shelf. The unit exhausts to the front. The chassis is made of steel and can support an additional 30 pounds so I can safely put my deck and 4K player on it.

View attachment 60627

I have the T-10. Its a good unit, especially if venting forward is the only option. If you can vent to the back, the T-8 should be the winner.

With smart fan turned on, you can adjust the speed and temp the fan runs at... but it is audible. I sit about 8' away. That said, if I am doing other things, the fan isn't disruptive. Just that it is audible. But it keeps my Marantz running cool.
I will likely switch to the rear venting within the year. Had the T-10 since 2018.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern

View attachment 60627

If you are going to remove the shelf, why pay $160 to do that? ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the T-10. Its a good unit, especially if venting forward is the only option. If you can vent to the back, the T-8 should be the winner.

With smart fan turned on, you can adjust the speed and temp the fan runs at... but it is audible. I sit about 8' away. That said, if I am doing other things, the fan isn't disruptive. Just that it is audible. But it keeps my Marantz running cool.
I will likely switch to the rear venting within the year. Had the T-10 since 2018.
I set the unit on top of my converted dresser/stereo stand and sat at my usual 8ftish distance and I could hear it plain as day. I decided to use it for my bedroom as I dont do critical listening there. I also put it there because I got tired of using a wobbly wire shelf to prop up my cassette deck and bluray player above the AVR. I ordered the S8 model for use in the great room.

I set my unit to auto as I dont think smart mode ever shuts off and I close the cabinet doors to keep my hairy cats from climbing all over the electronics. What do you have your trigger temperature set to? Im using 85F.

Correction, I just went up stairs, switched the unit to smart and it never turned on. Maybe it takes 30 plus minutes for the AVR to cool down after use.

One more correction, if the fan setting in on is greater than 3 bars, switch to smart will turn on the fans at my given trigger temperature.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I set the unit on top of my converted dresser/stereo stand and sat at my usual 8ftish distance and I could hear it plain as day. I decided to use it for my bedroom as I dont do critical listening there. I also put it there because I got tired of using a wobbly wire shelf to prop up my cassette deck and bluray player above the AVR. I ordered the S8 model for use in the great room.

I set my unit to auto as I dont think smart mode ever shuts off and I close the cabinet doors to keep my hairy cats from climbing all over the electronics. What do you have your trigger temperature set to? Im using 85F.

Correction, I just went up stairs, switched the unit to smart and it never turned on. Maybe it takes 30 plus minutes for the AVR to cool down after use.

One more correction, if the fan setting in on is greater than 3 bars, switch to smart will turn on the fans at my given trigger temperature.
I have the two visible temp settings as 85 and 115 for the overheating alarm. I don't recall the fan setting I have, but it kicks on at 79, I think with the lowest speed... It's been a long time since I played with it.

As it stands, when I'm really pushing things with all Speakers running it never seems to go above 82/83ºF.

When I turn the fans off to run measurements, I've seen it read up around 113ºF

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have the two visible temp settings as 85 and 115 for the overheating alarm. I don't recall the fan setting I have, but it kicks on at 79, I think with the lowest speed... It's been a long time since I played with it.

As it stands, when I'm really pushing things with all Speakers running it never seems to go above 82/83ºF.

When I turn the fans off to run measurements, I've seen it read up around 113ºF
I have these on all 3 of my AVRs. I'm a sucker for gadgets but seriously figure keeping the HDMIs cool is important and frankly when I'm watching shows I can't hear it except when I pause it.

Ryan why do you think the rear exhaust will be better for you? Do you think the noise will be less?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan why do you think the rear exhaust will be better for you? Do you think the noise will be less?
Less? I do. The front vent is 8' in front of me with nothing between the fan motors and me. Turn that around and I am certain it will attenuate the impact of their sound.
Mind... it isn't that loud when things are starting up, but I do hear it. It when it kicks up another level that it starts to get to minor nuisance for me.
But keeping everything cooler has it's cost.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Less? I do. The front vent is 8' in front of me with nothing between the fan motors and me. Turn that around and I am certain it will attenuate the impact of their sound.
Mind... it isn't that loud when things are starting up, but I do hear it. It when it kicks up another level that it starts to get to minor nuisance for me.
But keeping everything cooler has it's cost.
The most powerful and most quiet is the one that pushes the air st8 up and it says you only need a couple inches of clearance. I have that on one AVR with about 2-3 inches above it and it's open in front and back and it seems to do the job.

To try to keep it down, I set to auto with 2 bars and see if thatwill keep it from getting too hot (with a 80 degree setting).

It says they last up to 65.000 hours right? I figure that sucker ought to last a long time I hope

CB22

CB22

Senior Audioholic
yasssssss. It's here! I'll do more of a write up once I get some more listing time in. And get this damn sofa sold. The L sofa is what's going to make it hard to get the speaker placement dialed in. But wow! the finish far exceeded my expectations.
BMR.jpg

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The most powerful and most quiet is the one that pushes the air st8 up and it says you only need a couple inches of clearance. I have that on one AVR with about 2-3 inches above it and it's open in front and back and it seems to do the job.

To try to keep it down, I set to auto with 2 bars and see if thatwill keep it from getting too hot (with a 80 degree setting).

It says they last up to 65.000 hours right? I figure that sucker ought to last a long time I hope
Haven't tried one that just goes up, but I don't have several inches either but gotta think that's noisier than rear venting. Time for a test!

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Haven't tried one that just goes up, but I don't have several inches either but gotta think that's noisier than rear venting. Time for a test!
Yeah well I'm just going on the specs from Amazon.

Check this out. Shows the T9 (top exhaust) at 21dba vs the T8 (rear) at 24 dba and you can see the output is greater on that one by a good bit. But still, its about getting the one that works best with the setup

1677900671243.png

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Yeah well I'm just going on the specs from Amazon.

Check this out. Shows the T9 (top exhaust) at 21dba vs the T8 (rear) at 24 dba and you can see the output is greater on that one by a good bit. But still, its about getting the one that works best with the setup

View attachment 60675
I suppose the redirection of air within the fan unit could be noisier now that I ponder that a bit.....but some racks might amplify it too.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Part of my No-Beer and No-Liquor start to 2023 has been a reliance on carbonated water... I've long loved San Pelegrino and Gerolsteiner! The latter especially for its insanely high (for water) mineral content which makes it a great after-workout electrolyte source.
But at the Inflationary prices that have come about from all of the shipping issues and other economic maladies affecting the COGS in our local stores, bottles of these are pushing up over $3 and $4 dollars each.

My solution:
and

It will literally pay for itself many times over as I had what was nearing a Hundred Dollar a Week habit of fizzy water. ...Even if I have to replace it annually.

Now I add a few drops of Trace Minerals and a micro-pinch of some good quality Himalayan or Celtic Sea Salt to some RO water, carbonate, and am good to go.
:D

Super pleased so far!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
^
I should add that I already have some 20# CO2 tanks... Buying them new is expensive... but I sorta inherited them from a good friend that knew I might use them if I started force carbonating Kegs back when I was Brewing.
The SodaStream CO2 refills are like $60 for two little cans...
Last time I filled up the CO2 it was under $100 for 4 tanks.
:D
I have no clue how long one of those will last...

Their little cans of CO2 are 14.5 oz of gas and say they can do up to 60L of carbonated water...

If my math is right, one 20# cylinder should equal about 41-42 of their little refills. :cool:

(This doesn't account for the Refill exchange program which is something like 15 per refill plus shipping, but I would still have to buy a couple of their gas cylinders to take "advantage" of that program.)
(Thus, the only "cost" I really have is having a 20# CO2 tank on my kitchen counter! :p )

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
^Congrats David! Nice look inside. Photos are giving me error though.
2022_Subaru_Crosstrek_3.jpg

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis