What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Ink jets need to be used on a regular basis to keep the heads from clogging. My Epson Workforce has been flawless for years. Got my son an Epson for uni but he does not print much. Well, didn't take long for the heads to get gummed up. Same with my mother's printer. Got them both a Brother B&W laser. Problem solved. ;)
I had no problems at all with the first Brother MFC-465CN that I had, just that it died from age and use and cartridges no longer available in high capacity. The now-dead Brother MFC-J480DW has chewed through ink cartridges like a crack addict, and I was buying their high-capacity ones! It got used regularly but in just one period of not being used for about a month, in clogged up and even going through a set of brand new cartridges couldn't raise it from the dead.

This one is huge and for the speed it offers is extreme overkill, but I don't want to deal with inkjets again. Ever.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
We've used various inkjets for a long time... with the latest being an epson. I've never had as many problems with a printer as we've had with this epson. It is a very frustrating printer which requires frequent and sometimes multiple repeated head-cleaning sessions, even when we are using it frequently. *shrugs
Some models are better than others. Mine uses the 126/127 style ink cartridge. My son's used the 220 cartridge and it was crap. There are some YouTube videos from a printer repair tech that warn of which models to avoid.

I used to use Brother inkjets until the cartridge prices got too high and Epson became the cheaper alternative. Epson cartridge prices from retail stores have become ridiculous again. I used to go to Staples but I decided to follow the Windows pop-up link to the Epson store and was surprised to find out that it was cheaper to get the cartridge direct from Epson even with shipping added on. I have been sticking with Epson original ink in hope that the quality is better than refills and will lead to less problems.

You can purchase head cleaning kits on-line. They come with a syringe and cleaning solution. You remove the cartridge and connect the syringe with a tube and flush out the clog. If it clogs on a regular basis the print head may be a lemon. I manually flushed my son's print head with ammonia based window cleaner but could never get the black print head to work properly. It's not just the inconvenience that sucks. I tend to buy multi-function units with a built in scanner for copying and scanning documents to PDF which cost more than plain printers. The Brother laser seemed the better long term solution for my son and mother but my wife needs the colour printing.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Some models are better than others. Mine uses the 126/127 style ink cartridge. My son's used the 220 cartridge and it was crap. There are some YouTube videos from a printer repair tech that warn of which models to avoid.

I used to use Brother inkjets until the cartridge prices got too high and Epson became the cheaper alternative. Epson cartridge prices from retail stores have become ridiculous again. I used to go to Staples but I decided to follow the Windows pop-up link to the Epson store and was surprised to find out that it was cheaper to get the cartridge direct from Epson even with shipping added on. I have been sticking with Epson original ink in hope that the quality is better than refills and will lead to less problems.

You can purchase head cleaning kits on-line. They come with a syringe and cleaning solution. You remove the cartridge and connect the syringe with a tube and flush out the clog. If it clogs on a regular basis the print head may be a lemon. I manually flushed my son's print head with ammonia based window cleaner but could never get the black print head to work properly. It's not just the inconvenience that sucks. I tend to buy multi-function units with a built in scanner for copying and scanning documents to PDF which cost more than plain printers. The Brother laser seemed the better long term solution for my son and mother but my wife needs the colour printing.
You made me look and we are on those 220s.

We've been hemming and hawing about going color laser. Just been holding back because of the price. Depending on what we choose it's likely to be $300-600. We have a home office and while we aren't massive printer beasts, we do need something solid and a good all-in-one color printer that is Mac friendly.
We don't do photos.
Canon, Brother and HP are the three that keep coming up, though the HP that I usually see recommended is out of our ideal range and seems more suited to a small or medium office rather than home office. So probably one of the Canons.

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
You made me look and we are on those 220s.

We've been hemming and hawing about going color laser. Just been holding back because of the price. Depending on what we choose it's likely to be $300-600. We have a home office and while we aren't massive printer beasts, we do need something solid and a good all-in-one color printer that is Mac friendly.
We don't do photos.
Canon, Brother and HP are the three that keep coming up, though the HP that I usually see recommended is out of our ideal range and seems more suited to a small or medium office rather than home office. So probably one of the Canons.
Those three are the main players in the home office market. I have no personal experience so can't recommend one over the other, but make sure to price out consumables as that will be a big factor in the long term cost. Some HP models have a chip in the cartridge and only work with original HP toner.

I recently picked up a Xerox Versalink C405 second hand for the office. It's replacing a Xerox ColorQube 8870 which replaced a Xerox Phaser. The former two were solid ink printers that served us very well but parts for the 8870 are no longer available. The C405 is a multi-function colour laser with network printing, copying and scanning. I've found the Xerox to be quite reliable and serviceable. Probably overkill for a home office and it's also very tall, especially with the added legal paper tray (which cost a small fortune as an add-on).

its phillip

its phillip

Audioholic Ninja
I lost my Momentum 2s, mad about that
Sold my Momentum 3s as I have gone to Sony ear buds, now I want to get another set of cans for travel. curious your feedback.
Flying to VA in a few days - I'll let you know how they work out afterwards :D

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Those three are the main players in the home office market. I have no personal experience so can't recommend one over the other, but make sure to price out consumables as that will be a big factor in the long term cost. Some HP models have a chip in the cartridge and only work with original HP toner.

I recently picked up a Xerox Versalink C405 second hand for the office. It's replacing a Xerox ColorQube 8870 which replaced a Xerox Phaser. The former two were solid ink printers that served us very well but parts for the 8870 are no longer available. The C405 is a multi-function colour laser with network printing, copying and scanning. I've found the Xerox to be quite reliable and serviceable. Probably overkill for a home office and it's also very tall, especially with the added legal paper tray (which cost a small fortune as an add-on).
The Canon seems to possibly have the best cost-of-ownership ratio. I absolutely will be confirming that before I buy, however. :D

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi

My old Arris modem that has been fine for over 1 year, Comcast now does not support for the speed I am paying for :rolleyes: So had to order a new one.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Finally have my toys looking nice. I picked up a 5v linear power supply and a bunch of inexpensive but heavy duty power cables and interconnects.
stereosmall.jpg

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Yesterday while I was doing the spring cleaning gig in the kitchen, I was listening to the system. After the Led Zep, I went over to the system and placed my hands over the AVR and noticed it was rather warm. I measured the air gap from the top of the AVR to the shelf and its only an inch. I'm worried that if I uses like this for an extended time (many months) that it will eventually break and malfunction, most likely the HDMI cards. I went on to Amazon and saw this listed for $169 Cdn . Did some quick measurements and I'm able to place the unit on top of the AVR if I remove the shelf. The unit exhausts to the front. The chassis is made of steel and can support an additional 30 pounds so I can safely put my deck and 4K player on it.

1677698126624.png

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yesterday while I was doing the spring cleaning gig in the kitchen, I was listening to the system. After the Led Zep, I went over to the system and placed my hands over the AVR and noticed it was rather warm. I measured the air gap from the top of the AVR to the shelf and its only an inch. I'm worried that if I uses like this for an extended time (many months) that it will eventually break and malfunction, most likely the HDMI cards. I went on to Amazon and saw this listed for $169 Cdn . Did some quick measurements and I'm able to place the unit on top of the AVR if I remove the shelf. The unit exhausts to the front. The chassis is made of steel and can support an additional 30 pounds so I can safely put my deck and 4K player on it.

View attachment 60627

I have the T-10. Its a good unit, especially if venting forward is the only option. If you can vent to the back, the T-8 should be the winner.

With smart fan turned on, you can adjust the speed and temp the fan runs at... but it is audible. I sit about 8' away. That said, if I am doing other things, the fan isn't disruptive. Just that it is audible. But it keeps my Marantz running cool.
I will likely switch to the rear venting within the year. Had the T-10 since 2018.

Splicer

Splicer

Audioholic Intern

View attachment 60627

If you are going to remove the shelf, why pay $160 to do that? ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I have the T-10. Its a good unit, especially if venting forward is the only option. If you can vent to the back, the T-8 should be the winner.

With smart fan turned on, you can adjust the speed and temp the fan runs at... but it is audible. I sit about 8' away. That said, if I am doing other things, the fan isn't disruptive. Just that it is audible. But it keeps my Marantz running cool.
I will likely switch to the rear venting within the year. Had the T-10 since 2018.
I set the unit on top of my converted dresser/stereo stand and sat at my usual 8ftish distance and I could hear it plain as day. I decided to use it for my bedroom as I dont do critical listening there. I also put it there because I got tired of using a wobbly wire shelf to prop up my cassette deck and bluray player above the AVR. I ordered the S8 model for use in the great room.

I set my unit to auto as I dont think smart mode ever shuts off and I close the cabinet doors to keep my hairy cats from climbing all over the electronics. What do you have your trigger temperature set to? Im using 85F.

Correction, I just went up stairs, switched the unit to smart and it never turned on. Maybe it takes 30 plus minutes for the AVR to cool down after use.

One more correction, if the fan setting in on is greater than 3 bars, switch to smart will turn on the fans at my given trigger temperature.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I set the unit on top of my converted dresser/stereo stand and sat at my usual 8ftish distance and I could hear it plain as day. I decided to use it for my bedroom as I dont do critical listening there. I also put it there because I got tired of using a wobbly wire shelf to prop up my cassette deck and bluray player above the AVR. I ordered the S8 model for use in the great room.

I set my unit to auto as I dont think smart mode ever shuts off and I close the cabinet doors to keep my hairy cats from climbing all over the electronics. What do you have your trigger temperature set to? Im using 85F.

Correction, I just went up stairs, switched the unit to smart and it never turned on. Maybe it takes 30 plus minutes for the AVR to cool down after use.

One more correction, if the fan setting in on is greater than 3 bars, switch to smart will turn on the fans at my given trigger temperature.
I have the two visible temp settings as 85 and 115 for the overheating alarm. I don't recall the fan setting I have, but it kicks on at 79, I think with the lowest speed... It's been a long time since I played with it.

As it stands, when I'm really pushing things with all Speakers running it never seems to go above 82/83ºF.

When I turn the fans off to run measurements, I've seen it read up around 113ºF

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
I have the two visible temp settings as 85 and 115 for the overheating alarm. I don't recall the fan setting I have, but it kicks on at 79, I think with the lowest speed... It's been a long time since I played with it.

As it stands, when I'm really pushing things with all Speakers running it never seems to go above 82/83ºF.

When I turn the fans off to run measurements, I've seen it read up around 113ºF
I have these on all 3 of my AVRs. I'm a sucker for gadgets but seriously figure keeping the HDMIs cool is important and frankly when I'm watching shows I can't hear it except when I pause it.

Ryan why do you think the rear exhaust will be better for you? Do you think the noise will be less?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ryan why do you think the rear exhaust will be better for you? Do you think the noise will be less?
Less? I do. The front vent is 8' in front of me with nothing between the fan motors and me. Turn that around and I am certain it will attenuate the impact of their sound.
Mind... it isn't that loud when things are starting up, but I do hear it. It when it kicks up another level that it starts to get to minor nuisance for me.
But keeping everything cooler has it's cost.

K

Kleinst

Senior Audioholic
Less? I do. The front vent is 8' in front of me with nothing between the fan motors and me. Turn that around and I am certain it will attenuate the impact of their sound.
Mind... it isn't that loud when things are starting up, but I do hear it. It when it kicks up another level that it starts to get to minor nuisance for me.
But keeping everything cooler has it's cost.
The most powerful and most quiet is the one that pushes the air st8 up and it says you only need a couple inches of clearance. I have that on one AVR with about 2-3 inches above it and it's open in front and back and it seems to do the job.

To try to keep it down, I set to auto with 2 bars and see if thatwill keep it from getting too hot (with a 80 degree setting).

It says they last up to 65.000 hours right? I figure that sucker ought to last a long time I hope

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis