What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Bought a pair of balanced interconnects, 3 ft long.

I don't have any DAC or integrated amp that uses balanced cables. Yet. :D

71AjuLNLtoL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Those could possibly serve as extensions should you use a DAC or a preamp which doesn't have XLR outputs.
I was joking, kind of. I'll be picking up an integrated amp Friday evening that has balanced inputs, and Amazon will deliver on Saturday an S.M.S.L SU-9 DAC that has balanced outputs.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I got a call from the place where I ordered my bike from telling me that they have a 2021 model that came in that the client doesn't want. I went in and asked them about the differences between this 2021 model and the 2022 model I had on order. The two biggest factors that the 2021 model has going for it that the 2022 models don't have is 1) a wider gear ratio and 2) an adjustable strangle-hold. This bike is what they consider to be a gravel bike but with the adjustable strangle-hold, I can change the geometry of the bike by pushing the rear wheel out further back to make it behave like a road bike. I only want one bike that has the ability to behave like a trail bike and a road bike. Item 2 was key for me. The wider gear ration would allow me to keep up within 90 to 95% of road bikes. The only thing I gave up is a nice paint job on the 2022.

IMG_5995.jpgIMG_5996.jpgIMG_5997.jpg

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I got a call from the place where I ordered my bike from telling me that they have a 2021 model that came in that the client doesn't want. I went in and asked them about the differences between this 2021 model and the 2022 model I had on order. The two biggest factors that the 2021 model has going for it that the 2022 models don't have is 1) a wider gear ratio and 2) an adjustable strangle-hold. This bike is what they consider to be a gravel bike but with the adjustable strangle-hold, I can change the geometry of the bike by pushing the rear wheel out further back to make it behave like a road bike. I only want one bike that has the ability to behave like a trail bike and a road bike. Item 2 was key for me. The wider gear ration would allow me to keep up within 90 to 95% of road bikes. The only thing I gave up is a nice paint job on the 2022.

View attachment 51412View attachment 51413View attachment 51414
I like it!

You missed the most important difference of the 2022 vs 2021-- The 2021 is in-hand! In the current supply chain environment, that is a huge benefit, one in the hand is definitely worth 2 in the bush!

1) A wide gear ratio is definitely an asset. What is considered as a wide ratio for a gravel bike? (I'm thinking of mountain bikes where the rear is typically 11-42 or 46 or even up to 51 to be considered as wide ratio)

2) I've never heard of a "strangle-hold", but from the pics, that looks similar to what would be called a "sliding dropout" in the mountain bike world. I could be wrong, but I suspect the real benefit of that is to allow it to run wider tires (wider tires allow for lower pressures, better traction, and more comfort). Of course, a longer wheelbase should make it feel more stable too.

I think you made a good choice! To me personally, road bikes are just a little too limited. What happens when you have some mud or sand on the road or tarmac and you have skinny 25mm tires, it is not fun at all. I do have a real road bike, mostly for the days that trails are too wet to ride, and it gets the least miles of any of my bikes. You can always ride this bike on the tarmac, but you can't easily ride a road bike on gravel.

Edit--Also, disc brakes are nice! Just a note, this is not what we consider a "trail bike". Trail bike is meant as a mountain bike that is a little more capable than a Cross Country Bike. A cross country bike is quite a bit more capable than a gravel bike. In the grand scheme of things, gravel bikes have a lot in common with the mountain bikes of the late 80s and maybe early 90s.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I like it!

You missed the most important difference of the 2022 vs 2021-- The 2021 is in-hand! In the current supply chain environment, that is a huge benefit, one in the hand is definitely worth 2 in the bush!

1) A wide gear ratio is definitely an asset. What is considered as a wide ratio for a gravel bike? (I'm thinking of mountain bikes where the rear is typically 11-42 or 46 or even up to 51 to be considered as wide ratio)

2) I've never heard of a "strangle-hold", but from the pics, that looks similar to what would be called a "sliding dropout" in the mountain bike world. I could be wrong, but I suspect the real benefit of that is to allow it to run wider tires (wider tires allow for lower pressures, better traction, and more comfort). Of course, a longer wheelbase should make it feel more stable too.

I think you made a good choice! To me personally, road bikes are just a little too limited. What happens when you have some mud or sand on the road or tarmac and you have skinny 25mm tires, it is not fun at all. I do have a real road bike, mostly for the days that trails are too wet to ride, and it gets the least miles of any of my bikes. You can always ride this bike on the tarmac, but you can't easily ride a road bike on gravel.

Edit--Also, disc brakes are nice! Just a note, this is not what we consider a "trail bike". Trail bike is meant as a mountain bike that is a little more capable than a Cross Country Bike. A cross country bike is quite a bit more capable than a gravel bike. In the grand scheme of things, gravel bikes have a lot in common with the mountain bikes of the late 80s and maybe early 90s.
I saw youtube comparison where they took a gravel bike and a mountain bike through iceland. It was entertaining for sure and it demonstrated the strengths and weakness of each bike. The big surprise was that the gravel bike was robust enough to go offroading but at a slower pace than the mountain bike was capable off. It was very well done I have to say.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I saw youtube comparison where they took a gravel bike and a mountain bike through iceland. It was entertaining for sure and it demonstrated the strengths and weakness of each bike. The big surprise was that the gravel bike was robust enough to go offroading but at a slower pace than the mountain bike was capable off. It was very well done I have to say.
A skilled rider can do almost as much terrain on a rigid gravel bike vs. a hardtail mountain bike (front suspension only), and almost as much on a hardtail as on a full suspension. And, they may find that the rigid bike is even better for some things.

But, for normal folks, we really aren't pushing the limits of what most bikes can do. So, it really just means that riding the same trail is just easier and you can go faster on the more capable bike.

My hardtail bikes can pretty much handle anything that I am brave enough to ride. But, my full sus bike can handle much more than I am brave enough to ride, and it makes some of the things that are intimidating on my hardtail much less intimidating or even fun on a full sus.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
A skilled rider can do almost as much terrain on a rigid gravel bike vs. a hardtail mountain bike (front suspension only), and almost as much on a hardtail as on a full suspension. And, they may find that the rigid bike is even better for some things.

But, for normal folks, we really aren't pushing the limits of what most bikes can do. So, it really just means that riding the same trail is just easier and you can go faster on the more capable bike.

My hardtail bikes can pretty much handle anything that I am brave enough to ride. But, my full sus bike can handle much more than I am brave enough to ride, and it makes some of the things that are intimidating on my hardtail much less intimidating or even fun on a full sus.
My limit is trying to over 60 miles without tears because my ass gets so sore.

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord
Great buy @3db . sweet machine that will serve you for many years to come..

I bought a raspberry pi zero 2w to make another wireless USB roon endpoint.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What I bought the balanced cables for: to go between the S.M.S.L. SU-9 DAC I bought off Amazon and the Luxman L-505uX Mark 2 that I brought home from my dealer last night after an event they hosted. Also added the way-too-pricey bespoke KEF stands for my Reference 1 speakers.

A "package deal" on the integrated amp and stands for a VERY good price, partly because I'm a steady customer but also because I found a buyer for a pair of Reference 5's he had. I'm grateful. And very happy!
Luxman-L505uX_Mark 2.jpg
SMSL_SU-9_Schiit_Mani.jpgKEF_REF1_stands.jpgStands_side_view.jpg

Last edited:
afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
What I bought the balanced cables for: to go between the S.M.S.L. SU-9 DAC I bought off Amazon and the Luxman L-505uX Mark 2 that I brought home from my dealer last night after an event they hosted. Also added the way-too-pricey bespoke KEF stands for my Reference 1 speakers.

A "package deal" on the integrated amp and stands for a VERY good price, partly because I'm a steady customer but also because I found a buyer for a pair of Reference 5's he had. I'm grateful. And very happy!View attachment 51458
Looking great, Ken! Enjoy.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Looking great, Ken! Enjoy.
Oh I certainly am! Over the course of the next 6 months to one year, another bedroom that needs some structural and much cosmetic work will get done. Then I can move the remaining bedroom furniture out of this one, remove wallpaper and carpeting, paint the walls & ceiling, and add better carpeting and room treatments. It's pretty good now, acoustically, best room in the house. Just fugly. I'll fix that.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
My limit is trying to over 60 miles without tears because my ass gets so sore.
60 miles is a heck of a ride.

You do have some bib shorts? Or at least some shorts with built-in chamois or padding?

If you don't, then go get some stat!

adk highlander

adk highlander

Sith Lord

A "package deal" on the integrated amp and stands for a VERY good price, partly because I'm a steady customer but also because I found a buyer for a pair of Reference 5's he had. I'm grateful. And very happy!
View attachment 51471View attachment 51459View attachment 51460View attachment 51469
Just loving this setup. Love the gear choices and so very jealous. Would love to hear that setup. Congrats man. That is a lifetime setup right there.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Just loving this setup. Love the gear choices and so very jealous. Would love to hear that setup. Congrats man. That is a lifetime setup right there.
Well, if you ever find yourself in south-central Massachusetts you (or any other member of this forum) is welcome to come hear it!

Oh, and yes...the integrated amp, speakers, stands, DAC, and perhaps the power amp and a better turntable are going to be my "lifetime" setup because I'm 62 and retirement is on the horizon. I won't have a huge retirement fund...I'm spending it now. ;)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis