What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I decided to finally get into the world of seperates/pre pros. I'll be an early adopter of a new 13.3 pre pro I'd been looking at for months. It's a "new" company called Tonewinner. I didn't want to spend 4k$ plus on one, so I bought the "budget" AT-300 for about 1800$ Canadian Pesos. It's been getting positive press (for the most part) over on the AVS forums. It arrived yesterday. I'm fairly impressed with the build quality and the calibration microphone is very nice. I wasn't able to fully hook it up last night, as I'm awaiting the XLR cables I bought from Amazon to arrive (will be here Thursday).

View attachment 51042
View attachment 51043
View attachment 51044
View attachment 51045

@Danzilla31 now I need some Atmos speakers, another amp (going to use the RX-A2040 for now), and another subwoofer. I already bought another set of KEF Q150 for front row side surrounds.
Do a google search for "tonewinner vs. emotiva".

It seems that Tonewinner is most likely one of the OEMs for Emotiva gear, they may be OEM for other brands too.

Make of that what you will. Many of us have some Emotiva gear, and mostly we like what we have. It's just that Emo seems to have lost their way and their value over the last 5 or so years.

With that being said, I am quite interested in your experience with this product.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
FOUR MORE.

D4 SQL-15 Subwoofer Drivers

And a very special shout out to Nick at Stereo Integrity. He has been an excellent resource and diligent business owner. My original order from him, he could have easily upsold me to a different product in his lineup, but when he heard what I was doing, he targeted what product was right for me. He has now on several occasions taken calls from me to answer questions and give me the support every small business should give their customers.

Once delivered, I will have SIX of the drivers...

Now I need to shop for some AMPS!

marticus

marticus

Audioholic
FOUR MORE.

And a very special shout out to Nick at Stereo Integrity. He has been an excellent resource and diligent business owner. My original order from him, he could have easily upsold me to a different product in his lineup, but when he heard what I was doing, he targeted what product was right for me. He has now on several occasions taken calls from me to answer questions and give me the support every small business should give their customers.

I am not jelly, no sir, I am not.

Nope...

Not jealous..

:D :D :D congrats!

Eppie

Eppie

Audioholic Ninja
FOUR MORE.

Nice. Anybody using their mids and tweets for DIY builds? Build quality looks really good.

Replicant 7

Replicant 7

Audioholic Samurai
Okay, got Yamaha's RX-A4A coming in by Monday or Tuesday! I know you guys know I just got the A2A in about two weeks ago. I got a text from Andrew, said he got a email in from his distributor that they now have the A4A in ready to ship! So I boxed up my A2A and sent it back for a refund. No nothing was wrong with it absolutely not one issue. The RX-A4A was my first choice. So it will be here by next week.
16352441448798977986621576938453~3.jpg

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice. Anybody using their mids and tweets for DIY builds? Build quality looks really good.
I talked to Nick about that and he was going to play around with it.
The mid-woofs are clearly designed for car audio with the minimal depth of the motor. Even those he said would work in a cabinet, though, but more ideal in an infinite baffle/car door.
The Tweeter performance looks pretty good, but for the cost, I think you can do better.
The Carbon Midrange has a lot of appeal to me. It's small enough to play cleanly up to a good transition at the upper end of the Speach Band, but it won't go as low very efficiently...
I could see a small 3-way or even a 4-way making good use of that driver.

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
These arrived today:

20211028_180359.jpg

5 Monoprice XLR cables from Amazon. Maybe I'll get the new pre pro hooked up tonight.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
1635541129556.png

Taylormade M3 hybrid golf club. I tend to pull/ hook hybrids and this is adjustable and online reviews say that this club fixed that problem. So this works or I give up on hybrids. :(

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Visited another used record store , got these!
The Cugat record was originally released in 1961, this is probably a late '70s era reprint.
Will re-visit that store, "The War Years" CD (tunes from the WW2 era) may have a companion disc , got it from their "dollar bin".

Screen Shot 2021-10-30 at 4.46.54 PM.png

}Fear_Inoculum{

}Fear_Inoculum{

Senior Audioholic
Bought a Kanto SYD speaker for my wife off of Amazon. Our little Bose Bluetooth speaker died after about ~5 years and she didn't want an AVR in the living room or any big speakers. I must say, this little speaker is pretty impressive. Very good sound, lots of bass and it gets pretty loud. It has some options for connectivity as well, and I'm planning on expanding it for her with a subwoofer and some satellite speakers. Wife is happy, and that's the important thing.

20211031_110646.jpg

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
FOUR MORE.

I've just perused the specs on those drivers.

Have you noticed that with the sensitivity, they specify 1 ohm. Do you know what they mean by that? I just hope that their impedance doesn't dip to only 1 ohm, otherwise you would have to connect 2 such drivers in series to be able to drive them, with a solid power amp that is designed to handle 2 ohm loads. Either a Crown or a QSC amp would do the job anyway.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
My first vinyl purchase in over 35 years! @afterlife2 tempted me with a different album, which led me to finding this one.

053553101478246717-1280x1280-614223105215_copy_640x640.jpg

TOOL: Undertow for about 20 bucks on Amazon. I used accumulated points and got it for 5 bucks. I finally have an ep for my tt!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I've just perused the specs on those drivers.

Have you noticed that with the sensitivity, they specify 1 ohm. Do you know what they mean by that? I just hope that their impedance doesn't dip to only 1 ohm, otherwise you would have to connect 2 such drivers in series to be able to drive them, with a solid power amp that is designed to handle 2 ohm loads. Either a Crown or a QSC amp would do the job anyway.
The recommendation from Nick, the designer and owner of Stereo Integrity, is to run the VCs paralleled. I am looking at doing that on a single amp channel per driver.
I am exclusively looking at Amps capable of delivering power on 2 ohm loads... So Crown has been the top of my list so far, also Speaker Power (much more expensive than even the XTI 4002), and others...
Behringer would be nice to experiment with, but I see actual power numbers all over the place on their gear while the 3000 and 6000 numbers are actually peak that may never even be truly realistic.
I have looked at QSC, and Nick recommended Crest for consideration.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward that XTI 4002 in hopes that it will have a greater capacitance bank than the XLS 2502.

Frankly, I'd like to have an Amp capable of 2000w per channel into 2 ohms, but at that point, I really need to just buck up for the Speaker Power Amps (which are built specifically for FR down to 5Hz and are supposed to sustain output for 10seconds before rolling off slightly to recover where most other amps might not give you 5 seconds of sustain before rolling off by 6-10 dB!).

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
The recommendation from Nick, the designer and owner of Stereo Integrity, is to run the VCs paralleled. I am looking at doing that on a single amp channel per driver.
I am exclusively looking at Amps capable of delivering power on 2 ohm loads... So Crown has been the top of my list so far, also Speaker Power (much more expensive than even the XTI 4002), and others...
Behringer would be nice to experiment with, but I see actual power numbers all over the place on their gear while the 3000 and 6000 numbers are actually peak that may never even be truly realistic.
I have looked at QSC, and Nick recommended Crest for consideration.

Right now I'm leaning heavily toward that XTI 4002 in hopes that it will have a greater capacitance bank than the XLS 2502.

Frankly, I'd like to have an Amp capable of 2000w per channel into 2 ohms, but at that point, I really need to just buck up for the Speaker Power Amps (which are built specifically for FR down to 5Hz and are supposed to sustain output for 10seconds before rolling off slightly to recover where most other amps might not give you 5 seconds of sustain before rolling off by 6-10 dB!).
The Crown seems to be about the only amp in its price range. The QSC RMX 5050a is a slightly more powerful amp and will give you up to 2500 watts/ch at 2 ohms, but its price runs around 2 grand. It would be good to be able to compare their real low frequency response below 20 Hz.

The QSC would definitely require a dedicated 20 amp circuit while a 15 amp line should be sufficient for the Crown. Perhaps you could contact QSC customer service and I'm sure they would be pleased to give you further details on their product's FR. Please let me know how it went should you communicate with them.

Last edited:
MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Back to the store on Sunday!

The "Jackie Gleason Music For Lovers Only" is two 7" 45 RPM EP gatefold set, 8 tunes. Back in the 1950's they were marketing mini-albums that way.

"Jackie Gleason Plays Romantic Jazz" 7" 45 RPM ( 4 tunes on one disc) is disc 4 of a set, strange the store did not have the rest of the set.

Henry Mancini is two tunes from the 1960 TV series "Mr. Lucky"

Screen Shot 2021-10-31 at 3.22.45 PM.png

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis