What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Hookedonc4

Hookedonc4

Audioholic
FedEx showed up yesterday with my new James powerpipe and M1000 Sub Amp... I think I'm done buying now... HaHa...

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Z -
I see the E60's have been replaced by the VS05's in your signature ;-)
You have good eyes - the E60 and Studio 530 are gone.

I will post some deeper impressions on the Vera in a day or so. One thing I can say
is, they are not bright, not laid back, not forward, not sharp, not edgy, not nasal, and
not congested. If you want a warm fuzzy type sound - then go fishing. It is hard to
pick up the tone (color character), so that means that these speakers are getting it
right. I can not think of any other speaker, that they may favor.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

I will post some deeper impressions on the Vera in a day or so. One thing I can say
is, they are not bright, not laid back, not forward, not sharp, not edgy, not nasal, and
not congested. If you want a warm fuzzy type sound - then go fishing. It is hard to
pick up the tone (color character), so that means that these speakers are getting it
Are these a keeper like the JBL's? :)

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Are these a keeper like the JBL's? :)
Yes, they are a personal gift to me - from a friend who sticks closer than a brother.:)

Plus, they are really good. They are like a hidden gem. They are in another league
above the JBL.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Hi, Jim. Any thoughts on these versus the NHT speakers that you've heard? Thanks.
NHT is good - however I consider the MB Quart Vera, a step above them. >>

The Vera tweeter is a good one - because it picks up the things, that you do not
want to hear in a recording - such as grit, spit, hiss, poor mic placement, and the
distortion from poor engineered recordings. This speaker is revealing - some cable
box TV can be annoying. The speaker sounds smooth, with no artificial treble rise.

Because the the speaker is clear and crystal-like - some people may not like it.

As in all things audio, there is no guarantee that everyone will like them.:)
People who want more tone-color (different timbre) may not like it.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Bah! Color should come from the amp / equalization. Speakers should be reference. If anyone doesn't like these, they need to examine what's driving them. They're brilliant. They do benefit from a sub though.

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk 2

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If anyone doesn't like these, they need to examine what's driving them. They're brilliant. They do benefit from a sub
rojo - check the back panel - you made need to tighten the hex screws - mine were not
completely tight - this can help to avoid air leaks which effect the sound.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Checked. I tightened each screw a degree or two, but they were already tight. But I do recall reading a review of the Vera floorstanders where the reviewer reckons checking the screws once a month would be a good idea. It sounds like he gives his speakers more of a workout than I'd guess most people do on average, though.

---

Video card just died in my HTPC. It was a blessing in disguise, really. It was a GeForce GTX260 with, well, more of a jet engine turbine than a fan. It was about the same length as the B****in' Fast 3D 2000, and it's been roosterblocking me from using a couple of my hard drive bays. It required two power connections from the PSU. Beyond all that, it didn't even have an HDMI out -- only two DVIs and an S-Video. It was a monster, and I'm pleased to see it go.

I just ordered a much more sensible replacement I think. It's only got half as much RAM, but I don't use my HTPC for games anyway.

Last edited:
B

Bear123

Junior Audioholic
My entire set up is new except for my TV. I have a 7 year old panasonic plasma. I pulled the old HTiB out of the box to set up in our new house, but alas, it was waaaaay too deep to fit in custom bookshelves in our living room. So off to best buy thinking I would grab an all in one amp/blu ray and just hook up to my JBL HTiB satellites. No can do. So I snagged their cheapest AVR, a Yamaha RXV-375. Only to discover my passive sub would no longer work as modern AVR's don't power the subs. So grabbed a Polk PSW110. Also needed a blu ray player so picked up a Sony BDP-S5100. Then I started browsing audio websites and figured I needed better speakers, so ended up getting HSU bookshelves and center, which were a huge upgrade over the JBL satellites. Then the sub seemed outclassed, so I researched that. I demo'd a SVS PB2000, but have sent it back, and am scheduled to receive a PSA XS30 in a few days. Also added an Apple TV and a Harmony 650 remote.

That's it for now. Overall, it has been an eye opening experience. I went from a cheap HTiB to what I believe is an extremely capable system with a reasonable investment of not much over $2k for everything. I think I would have to spend much much more to get a marginal increase in performance, so I am very happy with what I have. Future upgrades planned are:

1) Surround speakers. Looking at fluance as the price is very good, quality seems ok(just surrounds), and I like their bipole design. This will be a cheap addition that will make a big difference.

2) Running the Polk near field to smooth out bass, but its really way outclasses by the XS30, so will probably add a better sub later this year for this purpose. I cant fit a match to the XS30, so maybe its little brother the XS15, or maybe even the HSU VTF1 or VTF2 as these would fit better.

3) AVR upgrade, perhaps a Denon X4000 in order to get more power, Audysey XT 32, and sub eq.

4) Those 70" LED's are looking mighty temping.

Most of these other than the surrounds are probably 6 months to a year out.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan

My take and new thread on the Vera speakers, is in the Loudspeaker forum
http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/loudspeakers/89820-mb-quart-vs05be-bookshelf-speakers-my-take-impressions.html#post1022263

M

MrHeadGear

Enthusiast
I watched it Saturday night.

nice movies, can't wait for the last sequel!

anyway, just bought WD My Passport Ultra 2TB External hard drive from amazon. My last one is full with loseless audio collections
:D

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
4 CD compilation,

Where did you get that? I might have to pick this up!

Funny, I discovered Johnny Winter on a comp LP called "Genuine House Rocking Music" from Alligator Records. Only recently did I realize he is a native Texan. That same LP also introduce me to Sonny Seals.....man that is a good record.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis