What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
I picked up one of these off of Ebay last night for a good price. Its a Yamaha KX-630 3 head tape deck. It doesnt have dbx but it does have playback trim that my KX800 models doesn't have. It also has a remote.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
Tv arrives today, but wall mount won't arrive until next wednesday. My timing could have been better.

Sold the JVC PJ and am replacing it with an LG OLED. Only 55”, but at a seating distance of 6ft, it should be alright.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sold the JVC PJ and am replacing it with an LG OLED. Only 55”, but at a seating distance of 6ft, it should be alright.

I'm really interested in real world feedback on the LG OLEDs!

I really want an OLED, but I really don't like the LG brand!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I'm with you on the LG thing, though I've got an LG BluRay player that was gifted to me.

Any comparisons of Samsung's "QLED" compares to LG's "OLED", or whatever Sony is now selling?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm with you on the LG thing, though I've got an LG BluRay player that was gifted to me.

Any comparisons of Samsung's "QLED" compares to LG's "OLED", or whatever Sony is now selling?
Sony OLED is using LG panels, but their own electronics. I'd go with that option, but it's much more expensive.
2017's QLED didn't held a candle to OLED (partially to lack of full-array back illumination), but new 2018 models should come much much closer and cost less than LG's OLEDs screens.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I'm really interested in real world feedback on the LG OLEDs!

I really want an OLED, but I really don't like the LG brand!
LG has me a little worried, but I couldn't pass up the chance to check out an OLED after how much I've missed my plasmas.

I have a Sony 900e and it's awesome. Would highly recommend the Sony's.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Sony OLED is using LG panels, but their own electronics. I'd go with that option, but it's much more expensive.
2017's QLED didn't held a candle to OLED (partially to lack of full-array back illumination), but new 2018 models should come much much closer and cost less than LG's OLEDs screens.
Oh man....Sony vs. LG......which do I hate the least, that's the question! :eek:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Was waiting for this to go on sale. 3D is suppose to be good:

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Went to the local used record store and picked these:
Chet Baker is new, other 3 used and in excellent condition!

IMG_1643.JPGIMG_1644.JPGIMG_1645.JPGIMG_1646.JPG

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Oh man....Sony vs. LG......which do I hate the least, that's the question! :eek:
I've had more bad experiences with Sony products than I've had with LG's predecessor "GoldStar" and all of those Sony products cost me a whole lot more. My 65" OLED is my first large LG TV and it took a leap of faith but it can't be any worse than three short lived Sony XBRs back in CRT days. A 5-year warranty through Sam's Club helped. So far it's been flawless - even the apps.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
SO MANY RULERS!!! and a couple T square thingies
One of the best things I ever did (woodworking wise) was see a demonstration by a guy from Sweden who built a three legged stool out of bare stock (some limbs he had picked out of the woods the day before and a section of tree trunk).
This was impressive because he did it in 2.5 hours using only hand tools. Obviously he never needed to go to the gym. But, reflecting back on it, the thing that really impressed me was how he never once used a tape or ruler or any scale of any kind.
The closest thing he used was a T-bevel to align the angles of the 3 legs (he free-handed the first, then matched the angle using the T-bevel by sighting down it while boring the second and third holes with a hand auger:

For any linear distance, since he had the actual item in front of him, he just used it to mark the length to be repeated on the item to be cut with a knife.
I realized that the only need for a tape or scale was for standardization of items which are built at two different locations - it makes little sense to measure a dimension when you have the item it is to fit to transfer the dimension to. Every time we read a dimension or transfer it to or from a scale is an additional source of error (not that woodworking can ever be precise to the 0.001" level (the wood will shift more than that). That was an epiphany for me, so I thought to share it as food for thought!

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That’s cool. I follow a lot of guys on instagram that have that have that kind of skill and it’s kind of an interesting contradiction that guys like that use social media, but I digress.

I saw a cool one time tool from woodpecker tools that uses a similar line of thought. No measuring, just a tool that can “measure” the distance between two points and allows you to transfer that to a table saw or something else. Mostly I’ll be using these as straightedges and to measure equidistance from a center point.

T squares are for making templates.

One of the best things I ever did (woodworking wise) was see a demonstration by a guy from Sweden who built a three legged stool out of bare stock (some limbs he had picked out of the woods the day before and a section of tree trunk).
This was impressive because he did it in 2.5 hours using only hand tools. Obviously he never needed to go to the gym. But, reflecting back on it, the thing that really impressed me was how he never once used a tape or ruler or any scale of any kind.
The closest thing he used was a T-bevel to align the angles of the 3 legs (he free-handed the first, then matched the angle using the T-bevel by sighting down it while boring the second and third holes with a hand auger:

For any linear distance, since he had the actual item in front of him, he just used it to mark the length to be repeated on the item to be cut with a knife.
I realized that the only need for a tape or scale was for standardization of items which are built at two different locations - it makes little sense to measure a dimension when you have the item it is to fit to transfer the dimension to. Every time we read a dimension or transfer it to or from a scale is an additional source of error (not that woodworking can ever be precise to the 0.001" level (the wood will shift more than that). That was an epiphany for me, so I thought to share it as food for thought!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja

I do this often. I do transfer it to values in degrees though, so I can translate it to other tools in the shop. I have a bunch of homemade gauges and law tools to replicate and mirror image things on the fly. All common sense skills from the piecework days where trimming all wasted moves adds up to respectable wages. I'm 56 and I still move like I have a turbo under the hood. Once that momentum is reached, there just is no turning it off and stuff gets done.

Notice the large homemade bevel finder near the center of the arch and the small one in use as well. This is essentially an architect on a stick.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Good 3D reviews + I like these type of movies. Got it cheap on ebay.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord

Yup, every single measurement, for ANY measurement system (like lab instrumentation) will always have at least 2 sources of error/uncertainty. There is Systematic Error that is inherent in the hardware, and there is Random Error that arises from how an individual takes the measurements. Minimizing error will also minimize the uncertainty.

Any measured value is really only half of the information, the uncertainty in that measurement is the other half of the information.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Was waiting for this to go on sale. 3D is suppose to be good:
It IS good in 3D. Have had it since it came out.

Picked this up even though I don't have a 4K display yet, but will need something good when I do pick one up (later this year :) )

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis