What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
with 4k per eye, we finally may actually get nice and smooth video playback in VR. I'm terrified to think about what GPU power is required to render 2x4k in real time with AT THE LEAST 60fps :eek::eek::eek::eek:
VR capable card that can do that should start somewhere around $1500. We have a couple of NVidia P4000s (8GB DDR5) and P5000s (16GB! DDR5) here and it says they're capable of 4 x 4K. Both are dual slot and have their own taps to the power supply. One guy who runs simulation paid $8K for his P100!

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
VR capable card that can do that should start somewhere around $1500. We have a couple of NVidia P4000s (8GB DDR5) and P5000s (16GB! DDR5) here and it says they're capable of 4 x 4K. Both are dual slot and have their own taps to the power supply. One guy who runs simulation paid $8K for his P100!
btw: I could be wrong, but from a gaming perspective, P5000 is same as GTX 1080.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-P5000-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/m197331vs3603
As as far as 4x4k. It should able to render that for 2d workspace, but for gaming...
hmmm. I doubt it. This is a benchmark of few cards (top is GTX 1080) and it could no deliver 60fps in a single 4k display.

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I thought I'd take advantage of generous utility rebates and replace a 20 year old sprinkler timer with a modern smart sprinkler controller. Not that we get much rain here but this controller will use weather reports to skip watering on rainy days. With an $80 rebate my out of pocket is a bit over $20 plus an hour of my time. If it even saves me 2% off my bill it'll finish paying for itself in a year.

Orbit 57946 B-hyve Smart Indoor/Outdoor 6-Station WiFi Sprinkler System Controller, Compatible with Alexa

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I picked up a bunch of used but pristine (and some new) CDs at a garage sale this morning for $0.50 each. A buddy bought up their pristine vinyls for $1 each.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Since these were 3 bills I'd be nuts not to get them the crazy reduced price. Be my first noise canceling headphones. Now I can exhale:eek:: https://flash.newegg.com/product/9SIA5Z25GM7045
That has to be the deal of the century. Mine are B-stocks bought directly from the JBL website. Absolutely love them! But, mine cost around $160 shipped! BB had them for $199 plus tax. Even the JBL S500's I had cost more than $59.99! I want a refund.......j/k! :):):) Congrats on the find!

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
IIRC the JBL Everest 700 Elites were $299 a set at BB. The Everest 700's were $199. However, I got mine factory refurbished directly from JBL for close to $160. Mine are not the Elites. Looks like Afterlife's are the 700's and not the Elites as well. So, you guys are absolutely correct. Either way, I love my Everest 700's as they sound really good. Still an awesome deal for $59.99!

Cheers,

Phil

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
You guys are correct. I just found out on another site that the ones on sale are not noise canceling. For me that's ok still a great deal. I like to hear my surroundings anyways. Most of my phone's drownout people chatter anyways. Mine would be used primarily at home and perhaps out and about very rarely.

I just found you can pair another Bluetooth headset with the JBL. Great option so you can share music or movies with another person.
Edit:
Well whatta ya know JBL Elite 700 with NC for $30 more: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B079DD918L?tag=3340693-headfi-20

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
btw: I could be wrong, but from a gaming perspective, P5000 is same as GTX 1080.
http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-Quadro-P5000-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1080/m197331vs3603
As as far as 4x4k. It should able to render that for 2d workspace, but for gaming...
hmmm. I doubt it. This is a benchmark of few cards (top is GTX 1080) and it could no deliver 60fps in a single 4k display.
The 1080 is similar, but they're not the same. We were told however, that the 1080 would still perform very well as a CAD card too an basically they're nearly identical for most applications. Where they differ is for CAD IMO. The CAD applications use the memory in a different way and that's where the 16GB DDR5 comes in to play. We noticed it right away with this card.

Many of our users are moving away from dual and triple monitor in favor of a single, very large 4K (40+") these days.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The 1080 is similar, but they're not the same. We were told however, that the 1080 would still perform very well as a CAD card too an basically they're nearly identical for most applications. Where they differ is for CAD IMO. The CAD applications use the memory in a different way and that's where the 16GB DDR5 comes in to play. We noticed it right away with this card.

Many of our users are moving away from dual and triple monitor in favor of a single, very large 4K (40+") these days.
Agreed. 3D CAD is where you can't get away from using "pro" card. I said for gaming (or VR), they are practically identical.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed. 3D CAD is where you can't get away from using "pro" card. I said for gaming (or VR), they are practically identical.
We actually have an initiative here to use VR for reviewing designs and for training purposes. It is just kicking off, but it is pretty interesting. We have a variety of hardware and software in testing.

When looking at the P5000, the performance comparison said the 1080 actually performed slightly better in a few categories. For CAD though, there was a 7X gap in favor of the P5000. That's really only targeted at our heaviest users. For our average users, the 1080 is likely more than enough.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Outlaw 1050, now I sit and wait until Thursday. Random purchase but I couldn't turn it down for the $.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Not really new, way back in the distant past there was something called a 'book store' and I bought this, either Borders or Barnes&Noble.

IMG_1607.JPG

I laugh so hard my sides hurt.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't know if it was a glitch or a legit sale but I've scored Samsung Level On BT Wireless ANC Phones for $50.
Just got them today and testing it now. Obviously, these can't match the sound quality of PCX 550, but they sound amazing for $50. Very comfortable and build quality is excellent too.
Minor complains the bass isn't nearly as accurate nor deep, but it to be expected of $50. ANC is effective, not as dead silent as Sennheisers. Turning on ANC on Samsung creates very minor hiss, but it mostly unnoticable over most music.

Let's put it this way - these are by far best $50 BT phones I've ever heard
This is the product, unfortunately, the deal went back to their MSRP of $200: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-Level-On-Wireless-Noise-Canceling-Headphones-Black-Sapphire/273100167537?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Available on amazon here, in white:
https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Level-Ear-Headphones-Discontinued/dp/B00KGGK7X8

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
My new Acurite 01013M internet connected weather station is on it's way. We don't get the "interesting" weather that some of you get but the rare rains cause flooding, freezes kill fruit trees, and the annual wind storms do a good bit of damage. Because of where I live (in the mouth of a mountain pass) the national weather service's 10 mile away airport based weather stations aren't of much use. I've had an older and less comprehensive (no rain gage or internet connectivity) version for 2-3 years and it's done a good job with temps and wind speeds and directions so I have high hopes for this one. Hopefully I'll be contributing to Weather Underground in a few months.

Hey there sholling !

How did this work out for you? We have had a basic Acurite set for just temp and humidity and got the "you need to upgrade" email because they were not going to support the old tech anymore... Couldn't get it to work properly so we are trying to return it but when we call we cant get through. Emailed them and got a return email stating that they would get back to us in turn...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis