What New Stuff Have You Bought? If You Care To Share Thead! :)

Audiosaur

Audiosaur

Audioholic
Just ordered the Inuke 6000dsp new, open box. Plan to use it for an 18" sub build... As soon as the parts express kits become available again.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Have you tried them yet? Thoughts? I bought a cheap one awhile ago, but have not tried it yet with my new phone. I read there are good VR vids on YouTube.
I bought Google Cardboard VR and now GearVR. I have not tried the real Oculus Rift yet not Google Daydream
Pros:
These are miles and miles better than Cardboard VR. Very well thought out built product. Handheld remote is a quite welcome addition. It creates a visual "laser pointer" in VR and makes navigation much more intuitive.
Cons:
Mainly the resolution issue. My S8 display is 2960x1440 and GearVR makes a point of switching the phone to that resolution if not already set. Sounds a lot, right? Wrong. So each eye should get about 1480x1440, but due to optics loss which I can't properly explain, some idea here: https://medium.com/visbit/why-do-all-the-360-vr-videos-today-look-so-pixelated-b1ab3cba6f95, you actually get something that looks like 640x480 or less
But essentially, even tough for regular smartphone usage current DPI is already very high, even unnecessarily so, but for VR is nowhere near high. It needs to be about 8k so each eye would get a mere 720p image displayed.

For now, it's still a pixels showcase. Usable for videos. Plex virtual display could be cinema sized huge, but the resolution is disappointing.

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I bought Google Cardboard VR and now GearVR. I have not tried the real Oculus Rift yet not Google Daydream
Pros:
These are miles and miles better than Cardboard VR. Very well thought out built product. Handheld remote is a quite welcome addition. It creates a visual "laser pointer" in VR and makes navigation much more intuitive.
Cons:
Mainly the resolution issue. My S8 display is 2960x1440 and GearVR makes a point of switching the phone to that resolution if not already set. Sounds a lot, right? Wrong. So each eye should get about 1480x1440, but due to optics loss which I can't properly explain, some idea here: https://medium.com/visbit/why-do-all-the-360-vr-videos-today-look-so-pixelated-b1ab3cba6f95, you actually get something that looks like 640x480 or less
But essentially, even tough for regular smartphone usage current DPI is already very high, even unnecessarily so, but for VR is nowhere near high. It needs to be about 8k so each eye would get a mere 720p image displayed.

For now, it's still a pixels showcase. Usable for videos. Plex virtual display could be cinema sized huge, but the resolution is disappointing.
I have still not tried this one, but having used it with a $15 version, the effect is the same IMO since the phone is the same. Have used the first version of the GearVR and the main thing to me is that it is more sturdy and more comfortable. Comparing them, the inexpensive ones serve the purpose.

I also have a PSVR and to be honest, the screens aren't that high resolution either, but the effect is more immersive as expected on the PSVR. You can tell that the video quality is low with most applications, but after you become involved with whatever app you're using, you stop noticing that.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Pros:
Cons:

My brother owns a VR arcade in west texas and they use the HTV Vive. He loves them and apparently so do the customers. FWIW.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My brother owns a VR arcade in west texas and they use the HTV Vive. He loves them and apparently so do the customers. FWIW.
Vive Pro spec is 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined) - so just about same as my S8 screen. I expect similar results in resolution. Of course a pc with a dedicated video card could process much more complex 3d visuals.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Vive Pro spec is 1440 x 1600 pixels per eye (2880 x 1600 pixels combined) - so just about same as my S8 screen. I expect similar results in resolution. Of course a pc with a dedicated video card could process much more complex 3d visuals.
Tried it yesterday works ok and I agree what you say about the visuals. It's cool to see 360/3D videos. I'd like to convert some of my 3D movies to see how it looks. Have you tried Netflix VR? I tried, but I read you need a google headset to make it work. I bet yours work since you have more features on the Samsung.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I would like to hear them, but since I own the former X-Ref XRM 6.1 speakers, I cannot see buying them at this time -- I will wait on your comments.
I had been looking for a small set for the bedroom and my son was looking for a small set as well. I have plenty of speakers, but all are too big for where they need to go or need bigger amps. They're scheduled to arrive late next week.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, I asked him if he was interested in the Vive Pro since it has higher resolution, but he told me that something else is in the works that will have 4K per eye...not sure what that will be and with graphics card prices being what they are I don't even want to know how much a PC to run it smoothly would cost...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, I asked him if he was interested in the Vive Pro since it has higher resolution, but he told me that something else is in the works that will have 4K per eye...not sure what that will be and with graphics card prices being what they are I don't even want to know how much a PC to run it smoothly would cost...
with 4k per eye, we finally may actually get nice and smooth video playback in VR. I'm terrified to think about what GPU power is required to render 2x4k in real time with AT THE LEAST 60fps :eek::eek::eek::eek:

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord

Finally got a good deal on this 3D. Saw it recently on Prime and thought visually it looked great.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis