what is a bass hack and how do you properly implement it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I'm bored and thought I'd post a thread to learn something I've been curious

On the internet YouTube especially they talk about using a bass hack where you turn the subwoofer gain way up and the av input way down

Does anyone know why this is down and how it is correctly implemented if it's useful for best effect?

Thanks just looking for info and passing the time

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The only thing I would think that might get you is poor performance of your "auto sub on based on signal" switch!
Interested in finding out what this is about!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That's one way to adjust gain structure I suppose, but may introduce excessive noise. Can't see the point. Didn't know it was a youtube thing, but lots of crazy stuff in audio particularly on youtube.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

On the internet YouTube especially they talk about using a bass hack where you turn the subwoofer gain way up and the av input way down

Does anyone know why this is down and how it is correctly implemented if it's useful for best effect?

I gonna try that just to see, I believe if I remember my Oldest Son Adrian had his set like that for sometime and it would hit hard he liked to run his sub hot, If I remember it also blow out the driver one day.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What does the youtuber claim as the benefit of this "hack"?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
What does the youtuber claim as the benefit of this "hack"?
It's subwoofer 101 he claims it provides better dynamics mainly and detail and tactile sensation I called SVS about it this morning

It sounds like he's taking an idea they propose and just pushing it a little more out there to the extreme

They told me generally recommending setting your trim on your avr at -7 to -5 then adjusting your subs volume level to calibration then of you want to run it a little hot you just turn up the subs

He's saying dial the trim back further use the subs volume more

But SVS pointed out if you overdo this then you risk not having much room to go down and up

He's saying if you do this a little more then what there saying it just allows you to use the subs amp more giving better sound without clipping the signal

That's about as much as I could understand out of it sounds interesting

vader540is

vader540is

Full Audioholic

I believe that YouTuber is talking about calibration with audyssey XT32. When the system tries to set your sub at 75db ( in the green) xt32 basically neuters your bass output. So he recommends to set the gain a lil higher around 80-85 ( in the red) during calibration setup and XT32 will set your sub woofer trim around -11 db. Once calibration is done...From that point on you can bump up the trim on your AVR , hopefully if you have a quality sub, you will have plenty of headroom IIRC if someone can please correct me if I'm wrong.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I tried I really suck it's Subwoofer 101 is his name it's called the gain hack there's a short version of the video

He says he turns his trim to -11 to -12 then turns his subs up stating this gives him much better performance from the sub because you are not limiting the performance of the subs amplifier

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's subwoofer 101 he claims it provides better dynamics mainly and detail and tactile sensation I called SVS about it this morning

It sounds like he's taking an idea they propose and just pushing it a little more out there to the extreme

They told me generally recommending setting your trim on your avr at -7 to -5 then adjusting your subs volume level to calibration then of you want to run it a little hot you just turn up the subs

But SVS pointed out if you overdo this then you risk not having much room to go down and up

He's saying if you do this a little more then what there saying it just allows you to use the subs amp more giving better sound without clipping the signal

Subwoofer 101? I've had one or 2 brief back and forths with him. I'm pretty convinced he doesn't know his head from his ass. I can't believe he gets review products... :oops:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Subwoofer 101? I've had one or 2 brief back and forths with him. I'm pretty convinced he doesn't know his head from his ass. I can't believe he gets review products... :oops:
Yeah I don't know if he's legit or not I'm just bored and learning about all sorts of weird random stuff right now just interested on your guys take on what he is saying Lol

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I completely disagreed with his review of the monolith 15 by monoprice FWIW

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You can't really know if this would work until you know the gain structure of your system. It's not a hack, and it could make things worse if you don't know the ranges of the input and output voltages of the sub and the AVR. If you really want to maximize the dynamic range of the line level inputs on your AVR, figure out what the input level range is and the output level range of the AVR is and change your settings accordingly.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Holy shiit dan, you ARE bored. Lol. JK

I don’t believe this guy is giving good advice, but that’s just my opinion. I have been on the 101 website before and generally find it to be good. I’ve even seen Ed join him before. But I’ve been on the SVS threads and I’m pretty sure I remember Ed always recommending NOT doing this. And as Kurt said, the auto on function will be doa. FWIW, I don’t like idea.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I completely disagreed with his review of the monolith 15 by monoprice FWIW
I disagreed with a lot of his observations. He told me the Prime towers (not the Pinnacles) sound better than the Ultra bookshelves even with a subwoofer in the mix and using a crossover.

No, just no.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I disagreed with a lot of his observations. He told me the Prime towers (not the Pinnacles) sound better than the Ultra bookshelves even with a subwoofer in the mix and using a crossover.

No, just no.
Wtf? Ok. I take back the nice thing I said about him. Lol

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja

Oh Dam! So setting trim down to -7 or -5? all this time i’ve had my trim set to.. wait let me check, tick tock. I’m back it’s set at oh dam +3.5!! Man I need schooling on how to set your sub right! Just when you think you got it someone moves the end!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis