what is a bass hack and how do you properly implement it?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Released in Japan... not likely coming to the US. Imagine the Studio 5 series, updated... and with a 3-way tower! :)
Unfortunately the HDI are all 2 1/2 way but I think the flagship studio 6 is a true 3 way if I'm correct no?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I should say here that Danzilla has been persistent in pestering me about when I am going to review the JBL HDI line. I figured this thread was as good place as anywhere to announce that review is forthcoming...
I have not been PESTERING I mean I only PM'd him about these a couple hundred times guys I mean jeez what's the problem ;)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Your looking at the new JBL HDI line and those may just be the flagships the 3800's if I believe I got that right!

DAMNIT SHADY!!! YOU!!!!
That's a bingo, and the Image Control Waveguide should make these a leap above the Studio 5 series, and JBL rightly places them into the Synthesis line.
Unfortunately the HDI are all 2 1/2 way but I think the flagship studio 6 is a true 3 way if I'm correct no?
The HDI are 2.5 way, but that does not put them at a disadvantage versus 3-way speakers so long as directivity is accounted for, which it very much would be in a JBL Synthesis product.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Released in Japan... not likely coming to the US. Imagine the Studio 5 series, updated... and with a 3-way tower! :)
Yeah I was equating them with HDI for some reason....I'd be glad to try either :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
@shadyJ , just PM him a photo of the ports so we can get on with this, already.

:oops: o_Oo_O

:p
I'm afraid a picture won't do I need hands on er.... I mean adequate listening time before I can assess the value of a speakers ports!!! :rolleyes:

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
That's a bingo, and the Image Control Waveguide should make these a leap above the Studio 5 series, and JBL rightly places them into the Synthesis line.

The HDI are 2.5 way, but that does not put them at a disadvantage versus 3-way speakers so long as directivity is accounted for, which it very much would be in a JBL Synthesis product.
I'm really interested in this Shady they are not inexpensive by any means there price range is fitting them into JTR territory which are my dream home theater speakers so yeah I'm really looking forward to your review

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I think we’re ok. At least for another day or two.
I wonder sometimes with the gun/ammo buying spikes being reported that we're expecting that Walking Dead is another reality show like the presidency :)

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I wonder sometimes with the gun/ammo buying spikes being reported that we're expecting that Walking Dead is another reality show like the presidency :)
Okay thought about doing another thread for this but I'm bored just do it here

Here goes you look on Amazon and stuff and see those ported car sub cabinets for dual 12 and 15's some of them the size of my rbh do like 80 to 150 bucks

Why couldn't you just buy those 2 badass home theater subwoofers and dsp and an amp and just let er rip?

Really stupid question but what the heck we ain't going anywhere right?

Are those big ported car cabinets not tuned deep enough or something

I know stupid right but why not ask?

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I should of titled this thread stupid random stuff I can ask while socially isolated so people can make fun of my port fetish

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I should of titled this thread stupid random stuff I can ask while socially isolated so people can make fun of my port fetish
Danzilla... We aren't making fun of the fetish, we're making fun of :oops::eek:
...uhhh...
nothing to read here, move along!
1585542822443.png

;)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Okay thought about doing another thread for this but I'm bored just do it here

Here goes you look on Amazon and stuff and see those ported car sub cabinets for dual 12 and 15's some of them the size of my rbh do like 80 to 150 bucks

Why couldn't you just buy those 2 badass home theater subwoofers and dsp and an amp and just let er rip?

Really stupid question but what the heck we ain't going anywhere right?

Are those big ported car cabinets not tuned deep enough or something

I know stupid right but why not ask?
Depending on what you wanted, you could totally do that.
Thing is, though, you would be shopping for the driver based on a pre-made box. I'm not a car audio guy, but I suspect that some of those boxes aren't made well to begin with, but then whether sealed or ported, you'd be trying to find a drivers parameters to fit the box.
As I'm working on my first Sub models now, I know that I'm looking at drivers first for what they offer, raw. How low, how loud, how clean, etc.
Once you have the driver narrowed down, you look at what it can do in a box... how big is the box to deliver the system Q, the extension, and will a port even fit in it or will the box fit in your room. ;) Think of that Sub Build from that other thread where Ricci was experimenting with the Polk-style Power Ports: that thing was mammoth!
I suppose it's entirely possible to find a box close enough to a driver good enough to experiment with, but at what cost?
That's my pragmatics talking.

You're locked in, if you wanted to play, order up a Full Marty Kit and go to town! o_O:p:cool:

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
Yeah, I have to calm down. All this craziness is over-whelming my nerves. I need to relax, take a breather. Maybe I will listen to some music? That usually helps. But what speaker system should I listen to the music on?

Hey... what's this here, in my home theater room...
View attachment 34962

Huh, I wonder if these are any good... maybe I will give them a listen, see what they can do....
Oh yeraaah! Finally a pair of JBL’s That’ll fit nicely in my living room! Man those look sweet!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis