What are you watching tonight?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Bridge of Spies (2015)
dtshdma 7.1 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL professional

Cold war drama rather enjoyable from Steven Spielberg for 2 hours. Based on true events set around the cold war, of Russian spy caught in USA and later an American pilot flying a spy plane over Russia is shot down and pilot is captured.

A few dialouge pans across the LCR.

Shooting down the U2 spy plane "the article" missiles flying across LCR and along the side wall to rear surrounds then exploding with a range down 20Hz.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
star wars the force awakens of "7 of 9"
dtshdma 7.1 no that's right 1+7...

Sooty has smelt something have you felt it?

It is a dark time for film rehashes.
Rebel cat spies have found a foul stench in the litter tray box.
Attempts to decipher the dire written dialouge have been futile...

Droid as secret information just like in, "A NEW HOPE" 'STAR WARS' 1977. Move along now, nothing to see here. Move along now.

Well at least the force of awakening Dolby 7.1 soundtrack isn't like star trek into DEAFNESS that was just DEAFENING WAY TOO LOUD! I've grown tired of DEAFENING films I like them just loud and exciting.

So this is, Rey of Arabia? :D

Dialogue track was balanced with the sound/fx force smoothly and equally all around the channels with a few now and then off screen dialouge pans and some rear back dialouge pans, but nowhere as near as GRAVITY (2013) that holds the record for live action dialouge panning on all 7 channels!

An AT-AT walker died of thirst in the desert.:(

John Williams score was dire! It sounded dreadful like indiana jones 4. The opening theme just didn't have the BRASS BASS MID SLAM like ORIGINAL STAR WARS 1977! Plus fact it wasn't even performed by the LSO at Abbey Road, London. Jar Jar Abrams isn't a star wars fan if he was he would have waited for Mr. Williams health to get better to score it in London with the LSO!

The fast cutting made me not care what I was watching as I'd only be seeing more and more of the same.

When the death star 3 starkiller base planet blew up I wan't even cheering or clapping out loud I knew it would be a slow like explosion that didn't impress me, I yawned.

Its just very hard to understand you with all the Bane, dialouge. :D

The original STAR WARS back in Feb 1977 at the local Gamount screens 1 and 2 with overhead surrounds in the ceiling as well as side and rear walls! The audience we all clapped and applauded when Luke Skywalker blew up the Death Star, the John Williams and LSO score did it with sheer greatness that not been seen before. The film even played at the cinema for nearly a year even when it left half way though the year the public demanded it back and so played out many more months.

star wars force of vii hopelessness awakens played fast and grabbed money fast due to fact that cinema tickets today are extremely expensive than they once used to be.

This was just as a dire star wars from jar jar abrams as it can be. Yes even the sly lens flares slipping in was annoying and some botched colour at opening of film that I even noticed on youtube months ago and I been looking out to see if the same botched colour would show up when the stormtrooppers land. The white light in the background with a hint of blue hazy crosses the background and due to video computer boasting colours who ever was hired to do the transfer needs to get there bloody eyes checked and check to see if there also colour-blind as I'm sick and tired of seeing cyan colour when I should have seen only white and blue not three colours or third artificial colour being mixed in due to boasting levels!

STAR WARS 1977 10 out of 10
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK 10 out of 10
RETURN OF THE JEDI 8 out of 10
Star Wars I, 7 out of 10
Star Wars II, 5 out of 10
Star Wars III, 7 out of 10

disney star wars vii, 1 out 10 Well jar jar abrams I got to hand it to you. That was the best jedi mind f-k yet. :(

I'd rather watch 136mins of chimpanzee washing a cat than star wars the forceless hopeless awakening rehash again.

Last edited:
STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed...it was the worst star wars of the bunch. I had hoped for greatness but after getting tired of counting the similarities all hope was lost.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
disney star wars vii, 1 out 10 Well jar jar abrams I got to hand it to you. That was the best jedi mind f-k yet. :(
What's disconcerting is how high the IMDB rating is for SW7! :eek:

The fact that so many people liked this movie blows me away with a force greater in magnitude than all the Deathstar explosions combined. :D

This movie sucks.

S

shawnlim

Audiophyte
Movies that are currently on my list: Deadpool and Resident Evil series.
There will be the final chapter for Resident Evil next year I think. So going to finish all the previous. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Finally finished season 1 of "The Expanse" . Easily the best Sc-Fi series I've ever seen.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Yesterday:
On Netflix Hush A- This is a really good one. Check it out.

On Bluray X-Men: Days of Future Past C- was not a fan of this one for some reason. :mad:

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Back on Topic: Game of Thrones (Seriously, the shortest Hour of TV) It's that good

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Watching again! A film that has sort of been told over and over again from different views of directors.

Sicario (2016) Dolby TrueHD 7.1 (Atmos) THX sound system.

Still a tensely gripping thriller story with a cool neat sound mix. The more I watch it the more I enjoy it, thou it is a grim film and the ending is good.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
What's disconcerting is how high the IMDB rating is for SW7! :eek:

The fact that so many people liked this movie blows me away with a force greater in magnitude than all the Deathstar explosions combined. :D

This movie sucks.
I was light-years disappointed with star wars 7 it wins the best film in the litter tray award! :D

Sooty, has smelt something have you felt it?

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
TOP GUN (1986) Dolby Stereo AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

30th Anniversary USA May 16th 1986 a summertime hit afterburner-ed subsonic into the cinemas.

Opened nationally in UK 3rd October 1986.

The THX AC-3 laserdisc still sonically shines nicely on laserdisc with the original theatrical mix.

The split-surrounds are excitingly cool for 30 years old. Sub bass LFE.1 still very much impressive with "flyby the tower" or other afterburner scenes where the rumble of the jets vibrates the seating.

Music is stellar high pumping thumping octane with some really cool music and songs.

Actual aerial photography combined with the practical miniature shots is often hard to tell even to this day the effects and flying hold up very well.

The bluray is okay expect the mix is a little tampered with and doesn't stay to its original mix. The early Laserdisc and early DVD edition is close to the mix. The bluray had some dialouge panning altered by placing a few lines in the film "I want some butt" (air traffic control guy yelling) I seem to recall the pan at the cinema in October 1986.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
TOP GUN (1986) Dolby Stereo AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

The bluray is okay expect the mix is a little tampered with and doesn't stay to its original mix. The early Laserdisc and early DVD edition is close to the mix. The bluray had some dialouge panning altered by placing a few lines in the film "I want some butt" (air traffic control guy yelling) I seem to recall the pan at the cinema in October 1986.
The one thing I learned on this film is just how unmanuverable the F15 is against the little Freedom Fighter.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
The one thing I learned on this film is just how unmanuverable the F15 is against the little Freedom Fighter.
Well that's down to tight fast film editing as even the shots of F-14 flying around seem to come up really fast on the other planes and would take about a mile or so to go around? Even when watching RAF Red Arrows flying around for real.

Top-cat Sooty, watches F-14 Tomcats in TOP GUN or TOP CAT? :D

The bass in the music starting up around chapter 19 that goes into chapter 20 is fantastic! The roaring of the jet fighters engines is supported by LFE.1 that rumbles all the seats and when the afterburners suck it in and blast it out as the two F-14 reach for the skies. Classic action, Dolby Stereo film for the mid 80's.

The flat-spin scene when the ejection system is activated feels like the seats in my room are about to project me upwards makes me look downwards at the seat arms as I feel the vibration ripple though all seats.

TOP GUN, would be Atmos predictable and too bad no Nine-screen with below surrounds at floor level as there are few many scenes where aircraft pan off screen and swoop downwards and that is the listening discrete edge I'm waiting for.

Last edited:
3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Well that's down to tight fast film editing as even the shots of F-14 flying around seem to come up really fast on the other planes and would take about a mile or so to go around? Even when watching
Yup and mass has nothing to do with any of it.:rolleyes:

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
Have the cut version region 2 DVD so in post arrived the uncut NTSC.

BreveHeart (1995)
Dolby Stereo Digital AC-3 / Lucasfilm Ltd THX Sound System / JBL

Picture transfer looks fine for standard THX-laserdisc quality.

Dolby Stereo AC-3 sounds sweet with late, James Horner music performed by the London Symphony Orchestra, at Abbey road.

Sound effects editing and sound mixing gives nice supportive for the films story.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis