Welcome to the Jungle

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey, I forgot to do it before I packed it up, but you may want to do a factory reset and clear the memory on the SE. It is all setup with my settings still :( It should have the latest firmware on it though.
Glocksrock sold me the Yammy 663 that I use. I didn't do a reset but changed what I thought was everything only to have his PEQ settings from YPAO mess with my frequency response. It made me doubt the awesomosity of YAA's center until I figured it out. So ... the first thing I did was a reset with the 83 SE. Lesson learned.

I told you the chick at FedEx actually opened it up and added MORE packing when I insured it for that much.
Even they know about how their employees mistreat packages.

:)

I just about gave my old speakers away. The center I sold for $300.00, downfiring sub for $200.00 and the 1000 watt sub for $500.00 all to the same guy. He said he is going to confession because he felt like he stole them speakers.
What about the towers of power? You hold onto them? I liked the little sub, was that the down firing one? Today is the big day for you. Remember to lift with your legs. :D

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
It's 5 am and I am almost ready to go. Could 't sleep at all last night.

Bryceo

Bryceo

Banned
thanks for the reply Alex, the screen looks verey big, i have a 50'' plasma in the master bedroom and it looks small, have you got any planes for 2014 that you wanna do to the systeam?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
No planes for the systeam this year. I paid close to 2 grand for that TV and there's no way I'm ditching it like the $900 32" LCD I bought a long time ago. But when the time comes, I'm due for a huge size and PQ upgrade ... for not a lot of money.

That center mount isn't quite done yet. I need to figure in a little more Mahogany shelving and then play with the elevations of that trim. I don't quite like how the lines and reveals line up. I might just pull that trim off the shelf and leave it plain black. We'll see. It's been about 5 years in the works. No need to start rushing through it now.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Oppo BDP-83SE & DRC

Before I went into the menu settings to apply DRC to everything I listened to a Beethoven DVD-A that I am sort of familiar with. I recently demoed the system for Eddie of the Deck using that DVD-A. That was using the analog audio outs on a Denon player.

Listening to the same disc played on the Oppo I was caught off guard a few times with stuff I didn't realize was on the disc. I know, I know ... but before I get asked or not asked as it were, about level matching I'll say that the playback volume was low this time around. I wasn't trying to impress anybody. I just wanted to give it a listen before I enabled DRC. I'm finally done jockeying the volume button on the remote. That system rarely gets used for music and this condo dweller business has to be allowed to negatively impact the SQ as opposed to the other way around.

I wonder if the DRC will apply to the 7.1 analog outs. That part isn't in the regular manual on page 58. The option was added after the printing of the manual. The DRC on the Yammy 663 rec'r only applies to bitstreamed content from the cable STB.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
So, a couple of weeks ago I tried stuffing a little sub into the front corner and was asked if it was to remain there. I was just happy not to hear,"how much was that"? But it wasn't welcome there. We needed the room for this:

She liked the open look, she said. :D

This Swerd built Dennis Murphy designed MB27 speaker pair got surround duty.

I kind of think it's funny ... sometimes.

Anyway, I dialed it back to 5.2 with a 60Hz cross and the mains set to large. It's not that my towers are that great (which they are :p), it's more of my subs being pretty lame. With music it just sounds better that way.

A couple of Marantz MA500s run the towers now and a Yammy 663 runs the other 3. I think the vocals are 'almost' as nice now as with the humungoid Aragon 2007. That 'almost' is killing me. I'm kind of glad nobody is buying it from me.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Alex, you've come a long way with your system since I joined this forum 6 years. Wow it's 6 years and I haven't been banned, now that's what I call a miracle. And don't think that I haven't been eyeing that Aragon, but a 15 amp breaker is just not gonna make it with all the other crap I got. BTW that's a good price for that amp.

Last edited:
fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What the heck is all the crap all over the place???? :p

At least you finally fixed the date on that damn camera :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I've made room for the Sammy plasma 59" in Mantown. I wanna learn how to use it in here. I always said I didn't give a shZ!t about 3-D but it turns out that I'm a little curious. I just happen to have the Spears and Munsil 3-D calibration disc.

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
I've made room for the Sammy plasma 59" in Mantown. I wanna learn how to use it in here. I always said I didn't give a shZ!t about 3-D but it turns out that I'm a little curious. I just happen to have the Spears and Munsil 3-D calibration disc.
Are you eventually going to put it in living room?
Is the new TV bigger?
Why is it called Mantown?:)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Turns out that I really don't care about 3-D. I mean it's okay in an IMAX. The problem with this particular model is that if you want to see 3-D it's an all or nothing thing. To see 3-D you have to force 2-D content to be displayed as 3-D and then everything is 3-D. Anyway I am not going to be watching 3-D. Glad I got that out of my system without paying $2500. :p

Here it is. Hung and dialed in. 59" of Samsung love.

EDIT: I can't afford $2500.

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
That thing looks awesome. Almost as good as my 8000 :p

IIRC, the picture on the 8500 is supposed to be pretty exceptional. One review I read said that the light rejection was so good that even when the TV was off it looks deep black as opposed to grey which most TV's are when off. I'll have to test that out for myself.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the cnet review said mine fell in line behind I think the 8000/8500s and of course Pioneers for PQ. You've seen Walter's. The gold standard as it were.

I don't really see why there would be a run on Plasmas. S'up with the 4K revolution? Isn't that better or can't they get motion right on LCD?

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
I think the cnet review said mine fell in line behind I think the 8000/8500s and of course Pioneers for PQ. You've seen Walter's. The gold standard as it were.
And Walter's is only 720P. Still looks great.

I don't really see why there would be a run on Plasmas. S'up with the 4K revolution? Isn't that better or can't they get motion right on LCD?
I was just at the store, both HHGregg and BB, to look at the 4K's and see if they were as good as they claim. I'll admit, in store, the picture was about as bright and vibrant as you could hope for. The blacks weren't half bad either. I didn't want to linger in case the salesmen thought I was there to buy. However, and I'm pretty sure it was a 4K, the motion still looked a little wonky to my eyes. The plasma isn't as bright as the 4K's, but to my eyes the picture is every bit as good, in the right environment. Who knows what the next 5 years will hold for the 4K displays, all I know is that Plasmas are a sure thing and I'm happy with them.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis