Welcome to the Jungle

Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
The couch isn't very comfortable but Fall River and New Bedford at low tide are gruesome. I would definitely work high tide into my plans for visiting there. I was only ever out there once but I'll never forget.
Actually my wife prefers nice hotels in a busy downtown area with a balcony and an ocean or river view. I imagine we'll stay near Boston's historic area sometime in the spring.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
The Taj might offer you a view of The Charles River and The Public Gardens. That's right in the middle of the tour that I like to give visitors. Rick and Marie didn't make it up there but they're culturally bound to Federal Hill in Providence ... "Aye, how you doin' ?!?"

The Pubic Gardens are really beautiful once the leaves come in. Have you been to Boston?

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
Got rid of the subs, the EQ, the amp, the turntable and the rocking chair.

This stays.

It has state of the art orange wire nuts and a ridiculously fat jacket around normal ... I mean magic wires.

One sub lives behind this.

The other sub is in the other corner hiding from Greg.

I'm getting really good at this. :rolleyes:
Well, it's looking better. But you're not done yet - right?;)

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
... I have window tint cut out to put over the voltmeter, and I probably did the same for when I had an STDyears ago. I might consider, if I was bored or weird enough, dyeing the grille for the center speaker black.....
I dunno man - if it hurt when I peed, the last thing I'd be thinking about is covering over lights on my components.

;)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, it's looking better. But you're not done yet - right?;)
I am so glad you're not my dad. Actually he was pretty hard to please too. Not every hit is a home run but in the before and after world this is a solid 2nd base hit with a run batted in. "But ... " :rolleyes: :p

Before:

After

Before:

After:

Let's put it this way:
I'm done until my money tree comes back to life and until I grow a new pair.
The next step is a doozy.

GO-NAD!

GO-NAD!

Audioholic Spartan
I am so glad you're not my dad. Actually he was pretty hard to please too. Not every hit is a home run but in the before and after world this is a solid 2nd base hit with a run batted in. "But ... " :rolleyes: :p
I was just messin' with ya.;) You did a great job of cleaning it up.

You can slam away when I finish my HT and post photos....sometime in the next few months. Maybe at the same time you finish that component stand....:rolleyes:

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Walter ... it has finally happened !!!

I don't see no Carver.
You were looking in the wrong place! :D

I'm going to use this ...

to hook up that!

Can you believe the red wire? It makes the music sound the way red licorice tastes. :)
I couldn't believe it when I saw it in the store. I thought, 'oh, I gotta have me some of that'.
Turns out HD started selling the pretty gold compression connectors. :cool:

... ten bucks for a 25' roll and the connectors were under ten ... how could I not? :confused:

I measured my room response with the Rives disc before and after the amp on a trial run before I did all this and aside from an even across the board 2db-3db bump it is clean as a whistle. The dang EQ turned out to be responsible for the hum I had noticed when I had the amp hooked up to a passive sub in Mantown. Too bad too because I had just spent a bunch of time purtying it up after using DeoxIT on all the pots and sliders. :(

I gotta go hook that stuff up and get the gains set before the girl gets home.
I don't know why but test tones piss her off. :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Hey nice wires!
Thank you! I know they are just wires but I am in love !!! :)

How does that Carver get air circulation mounted inside that box?
The back comes off just like the front and that would be plenty for the Carver (it runs cool) but since the EQ is out of the picture it's out in open air as you can see in the 2nd pic.

... back in a while with a report on how it behaves with BIA. :)

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice to see you put shorts on before taking the pics.:eek::D
I'm kind of glad about that myself ... but that definitely would have been a shot of my good side.

So I listened to BIA on MC SACD with my mains set to Large because that sounds best for music. I thought the treble was a little more defined ... maybe. It would have helped if I had listened to it without the amp right before but that's okay. I like the way this sounds ... a lot. To be able to fully utilize the extra power I now need a house ... in the country.

Since this C-500 doesn't have an OFF switch I have it plugged into a timed outlet on the (M) power center. After my rec'r goes on the amp goes on like 6 seconds later. Kinda cool. I also listened to my MC Beethoven thing that my girl absolutely hates. Ahhh ... the screaming, it's great. I can't wait for somebody else to hear this.

Thank you Walter and thank you Phil! :)

EDIT: Here's a response graph of my mains so you can see where an amp would most likely help.

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Is the EQ working now? Rack looks good, working or not,
I wanted to use that equipment box just like that but it actually worked out better with the amp being removed and getting tucked into a corner behind the rocking chair. It's pretty much completely out of sight and doesn't use up any visible space.

I don't think the EQ is usable due to the hum. At some point I might try to isolate what it's problem is but I'm afraid I'm out of my league for the time being. It's such a cool piece of equipment that I'm not going to abandon all hope of getting it to work eventually.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Things have changed ... again. I have sold off the Infinity Primus 360s and the PC351 center. I just got back from acquiring a Salk SongCenter with an LCY ribbon tweeter from Fuzz up in the Catskills. In a month or so I'll be headed down to Maryland to pick up the matching fronts from KEW.

I snapped a couple of quick picks of the Song Center which got me looking at it much closer than when I picked it up earlier today. I wish I could do that. I mean just look at this ...

It's in very good condition. Here's the front.

Even the grill is absolutely mint.

All I really care is that is that this center sounds better than Swerd's. :D

fuzz092888

fuzz092888

Audioholic Warlord
What a crappy center. Doesn't even come with feet. :p

So I guess this means you like it? Knew I shoulda asked for more :D

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
If you had asked for more I'm not sure I could have given it to you. :eek: :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
I'd love some new speakers myself. I'm excited for you...Jealous really. New speakers and you're tearing the room a new hole and showing it who's boss on top of it.:cool:

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis