Welcome to the Jungle

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Which mod made the most improvement?
Speaker wise the adding of insulation lowered the sound produced by a knuckle rap test but silencing the cans on the drivers for magnetic shielding didn't get AB'ed at all ... so it's hard for me to say but I have faith that it was an improvement.

What I did AB is the effects of adding a stack of various insulation products to the floor of the speaker as WmAx suggested. It was probably a month before I got around to doing the second speaker with that. I could hear a sound that I didn't like periodically with music in the untreated speaker in what I am guessing is around 160Hz. Once I treated it the undesirable characteristic was gone for good.

What made an enormous improvement is raising the speakers (as WmAx also suggested). The tweeter is too low. The sound panels that Greg gave me also made a big difference. A THX Select rec'r with a different set of crossover slopes also seems to have made a difference. I'm pretty confident that my perceived improvements in SQ are 65% real and 35% imagined ... but at least I know I am imagining things instead of believing everything I imagine. I love taking stuff apart even if it's only to clean it but to answer your question there is some stuff that I haven't taken apart ... yet.

What hopes and dreams could poor Cheryl possibly have at this point?:confused::D
Oh I just can't wait to talk to her.;):D
I let her read that and now she can't wait to meet you too. :)
She thinks she has somebody to sing the blues to ... poor Cheryl. :rolleyes:

We both like telling each other ... You Got Lucky. :D

T

templemaners

Senior Audioholic
Nice system Alex. Looks really well put together. :)

How tall are the risers for your P362's? I just bought a pair and will need to raise them up as well.

Judging by the 2 Gramma pads stacked next to it, I'm guessing... 5.5"?

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
How tall are the risers for your P362's? I just bought a pair and will need to raise them up as well.

Judging by the 2 Gramma pads stacked next to it, I'm guessing... 5.5"?
I believe you're exactly right. The feet are sunk into the rug a bit and they measure 5" off the rug. But that doesn't mean anything. I just threw whatever I had laying around under them. If I were building something specifically for that I would make sure that the tweeter ended up at my ear height.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I took that stuff from under the speakers ...

... and turned it into this:

There is an internal dead as a door nail stack of various materials with feet. The outer cap is maple and probably Honduran Mahogany that is somewhat resonant but it is decoupled from the internal part that really sits on the floor. The cap sort of hovers on the rug.

Now the platform measures 6" above the carpet ... and it doesn't look like @ss.

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice job Alex. My towers could use a little lift too.
Thank you Walter for the nice compliment and thank you for not taking the low road like those other two posters. It's nice to see someone acting like an adult occasionally. :rolleyes: :D

STRONGBADF1

STRONGBADF1

Audioholic Spartan
Thank you Walter for the nice compliment and thank you for not taking the low road like those other two posters. It's nice to see someone acting like an adult occasionally. :rolleyes: :D
Alex and Walter sittin' in a tree...:p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Downsized for GN

Got rid of the subs, the EQ, the amp, the turntable and the rocking chair.

This stays.

It has state of the art orange wire nuts and a ridiculously fat jacket around normal ... I mean magic wires.

One sub lives behind this.

The other sub is in the other corner hiding from Greg.

I'm getting really good at this. :rolleyes:

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
Hey, in those pics the Monster bank of lights on the left don't look so bad at all, but for me man they are way mega freaking bright, even before I had a PJ, and I've put black tape over it from the beginning. I have window tint cut out to put over the voltmeter, and I probably did the same for when I had an STB years ago. I might consider, if I was bored or weird enough, dyeing the grille for the center speaker black. You get higher voltage than I do. :p

I don't think I've ever noticed those speaker stands before. Interesting. What are the reasons? Decoupling, better height of drivers, etc? I think my speakers were measured rather differently depending on the tweeter height, and the article had the interesting suggestion of altering the height depending on the HF desired or something . . .

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I've ever noticed those speaker stands before. Interesting. What are the reasons? Decoupling, better height of drivers, etc? I think my speakers were measured rather differently depending on the tweeter height,
It was more about getting the tweeter to the correct height than anything. The previous page has some more pic's and comments. The inner part of the stand is completely resonant free as determined by one guy in Pawtucket, RI saying so. Rigorous testing indeed. ;)

Now that your here I'll tell you that I recently read somewhere (sniffing around bpape) that metal stud framed walls had a higher STC than wood stud framed walls. I get over my head quick in those waters.

walter duque

walter duque

Audioholic Samurai
Your set-up looks so clean, almost as good as mine. But than again I had mine done by a pro.

Last edited:
Davemcc

Davemcc

Audioholic Spartan
You know, it looks like you're really turning that mess into something nice. Now if somebody would just give you an equipment rack, you'd be all set.:p

Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Your set-up looks so clean, almost as good as mine. But than again I had mine done by a pro.
Thanks Walter. That's nice of you to say.
I never get tired of the attaboys. It's what makes it worthwhile for me.

Like massingale.
I had no idea you were so smart but this is the second time this morning you have sent me Googling with words you used. You gotta help me out on this one. I'm completely lost. What have you written for Audioholics? Is there an easy way to access the articles?

You know, it looks like you're really turning that mess into something nice. Now if somebody would just give you an equipment rack, you'd be all set.
You are a mean bitter bald man. :p It seems like I got into an expensive hobby in the worst economic circumstances ... in history? ... yes, probably in all of history. Now that I have been divested (thanks for the word, Scott) of all shame I can openly say that I am hoping that you'll get sick of your Integra and give that to me. It has after all been nothing but trouble.

On the rack front here is the plan: This glass ...

... goes in these doors:

... which hang on pocket door hardware in this unit:

... which will hold gear on these two (to be polyurethaned later) Mahogany shelves:

The idea is to cut a hole in my wall below my TV, insert the box, install the gear and wire it up from the next room (Mantown) through this door on the back of the box:

And just for good measure this dog:

... says:

:D j/k Dave ... but not about the Integra. You really should give that to me. ;)

Last edited:
Alex2507

Alex2507

Audioholic Slumlord
Baby Powder Scent ??? :confused: No, Dude. :(

Be a man ... just breathe it in ... :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis