Watts per channel needed??

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
1w/1m is more accurate
2.83v can mean more than 1 watt
So what? Anyone acquainted with hi-fi knows that the wattage doubles when the impedance is halved. The amp voltage is now the norm.

Last edited:
J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
That is such a tough one to answer because the only real way to know is to get out and listen. Most retail environments are set up to catch your eyes and not your ears so it's hard to get a good feel for speakers like that. I think what helped me was hearing a true audiophile system, properly set up to maximize the listening experience. It gave me a point of reference.

The more quality systems you can listen to the better. Search for any hi fi audio places or Best Buys with Magnolia stores in them in your area. The Martin Logan electrostatic speakers they sell at the latter are very nice sounding speakers when you're in the sweet spot and they usually have a pair of those set up in a good spot. Bring music you're familiar with, shmooze the salesperson a little and you can usually get them to set you up for some demo'ing.

I will say that if you listen to different receivers and hear big differences it's most likely going to be due to differences in gain structure, or volume (1 or 2 dB louder can be perceived as sounding "clearer") and/or whatever DSP is engaged in one vs another. For instance, if one has DSP turned on and the other doesn't there's definitely going to be a noticeable difference.
I was over there (best buy) yesterday, they had a Mcintosh playing with the electrostatic speakers on the floor, I didn't like the sound of it. I don't know if it was the tubed receiver, the speakers or they just didn't have it set up right.

In magnolia the design engineer demoed a couple of systems for me but I question how knowledgeable he was, it definitely didn't seem like apples to apples as far as the setup goes. he seemed like a nice guy though. He was telling me that online sales is growing very fast and people just read the reviews and buy it online.

At magnolia the marantz compared to the yamaha did seem warmer. also visted a smaller place by my house that has a denon and a yamaha. again the yamaha seemed to favor highs and mids, didnt seem neutral to me. But then again this guy didnt seem like he cared.

who has the best deals on audio?

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
No, it's more accurate to use voltage. 1 watt changes with impedance and is sometimes used to obscure....
1 watt does not change with anything 1 watt is an absolute value. 2 watts is an absolute value. 3...4...500 and on to infinity. A number can only be that number! It cannot change because of impedance.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
hey, thanks. I'll check it out. I like that they show the formula.
Keep in mind that in a room that is somewhat countered by boundary reinforcement....that's where that homestead spl calculator is a bit easier as it takes that into account or not as you like.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
1 watt does not change with anything 1 watt is an absolute value. 2 watts is an absolute value. 3...4...500 and on to infinity. A number can only be that number! It cannot change because of impedance.
The definition is based on voltage and is more comparable without trying to see if someone is playing games with the 1w in the first place.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I was over there (best buy) yesterday, they had a Mcintosh playing with the electrostatic speakers on the floor, I didn't like the sound of it. I don't know if it was the tubed receiver, the speakers or they just didn't have it set up right.

In magnolia the design engineer demoed a couple of systems for me but I question how knowledgeable he was, it definitely didn't seem like apples to apples as far as the setup goes. he seemed like a nice guy though. He was telling me that online sales is growing very fast and people just read the reviews and buy it online.

At magnolia the marantz compared to the yamaha did seem warmer. also visted a smaller place by my house that has a denon and a yamaha. again the yamaha seemed to favor highs and mids, didnt seem neutral to me. But then again this guy didnt seem like he cared.

who has the best deals on audio?
What the hell is a design engineer at Best Buy? :) I'm betting your comparison wasn't level matched....or blind.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
I
The definition is based on voltage and is more comparable without trying to see if someone is playing games with the 1w in the first place.
I understand.

A constant voltage driven into a specific resistance determines wattage! The wattage is the result but it is an absolute value that does not change in and of itself!

We are not disagreeing here it’s the other statement you used that was incorrect but that’s because you are talking about a manipulation used to make a speaker sound better than it is to fool the uninformed consumer!

I get that. To me it’s funny when 1w/1m is used without the voltage but for simplicity sake if 1w1m is based on 2.83v it’s accurate!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I

I understand.

A constant voltage driven into a specific resistance determines wattage! The wattage is the result but it is an absolute value that does not change in and of itself!

We are not disagreeing here it’s the other statement you used that was incorrect but that’s because you are talking about a manipulation used to make a speaker sound better than it is to fool the uninformed consumer!

I get that. To me it’s funny when 1w/1m is used without the voltage but for simplicity sake if 1w1m is based on 2.83v it’s accurate!
What other statement I used that was incorrect? Yes, if based on 2.83V it's comparable....accuracy is another matter when it comes to sensitivity spec/measurements :)

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Don't trust a Magnolia "design engineer" to give you two nickels for a dime.

They're not "design engineers." They're salespeople. I've been to a Magnolia many times and have overheard them say completely wrong things to customers on a regular basis.

For a small room with not-so-loud levels on just about any speakers, just about any receiver will have plenty of power.

Buy the receiver based on price & features. But don't be afraid to buy one with more features than you need. AVRs (audio-video receivers) have far more features than stereo receivers, but don't cost more (and sometimes can even cost less). So you're not really paying more for the added features. This is due to the much higher volume of manufacturing/sales of AVRs versus stereo receivers these days.

PS. It's 2.83 V. If you did the sensitivity with a constant wattage (say, 1W), then the speaker output would go up and down as its impedance changes. Amps are designed to be constant voltage sources, not constant power sources.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
What other statement I used that was incorrect? Yes, if based on 2.83V it's comparable....accuracy is another matter when it comes to sensitivity spec/measurements :)
You said one watt changes with impedance and that is an incorrect statement.

Wattage increases or decreases with impedance even if the voltage is constant would have been an accurate statement!

1 watt will never be 2 watts and so on!

Halving the impedance increases the wattage draw at the same voltage!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You said one watt changes with impedance and that is an incorrect statement.

Wattage increases or decreases with impedance even if the voltage is constant would have been an accurate statement!

1 watt will never be 2 watts and so on!

Halving the impedance increases the wattage draw at the same voltage!
One watt can change with a given impedance, it can change from 2.83V which was the point....

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Again, even a difference of +1 dB can be perceived as having "brighter highs" where -1 dB might be felt as having more warmth. That's what HD is getting at with level matching. Was DSP engaged with one and turned off on the other? To really compare you need to level match and disengage all sound processing (pure direct mode does this for some brands) for a level playing field.

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Don't trust a Magnolia "design engineer" to give you two nickels for a dime.

They're not "design engineers." They're salespeople. I've been to a Magnolia many times and have overheard them say completely wrong things to customers on a regular basis.

For a small room with not-so-loud levels on just about any speakers, just about any receiver will have plenty of power.

Buy the receiver based on price & features. But don't be afraid to buy one with more features than you need. AVRs (audio-video receivers) have far more features than stereo receivers, but don't cost more (and sometimes can even cost less). So you're not really paying more for the added features. This is due to the much higher volume of manufacturing/sales of AVRs versus stereo receivers these days.

PS. It's 2.83 V. If you did the sensitivity with a constant wattage (say, 1W), then the speaker output would go up and down as its impedance changes. Amps are designed to be constant voltage sources, not constant power sources.
I called him a design engineer because I was quoting his title from the business card he gave me.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
And what changes the impedance?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis