Watts per channel needed??

J

jeepers59

Audioholic Intern
Again, even a difference of +1 dB can be perceived as having "brighter highs" where -1 dB might be felt as having more warmth. That's what HD is getting at with level matching. Was DSP engaged with one and turned off on the other? To really compare you need to level match and disengage all sound processing (pure direct mode does this for some brands) for a level playing field.
I have no idea of the settings he was using, I didn't have a lot of confidence in this guy. do you think they would be ok with me going in there by myself and doing my own demo? at magnolia

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have no idea of the settings he was using, I didn't have a lot of confidence in this guy. do you think they would be ok with me going in there by myself and doing my own demo? at magnolia
If they aren't they suck. I wouldn't have confidence that their sales people even know how the gear was set up at all....

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
I called him a design engineer because I was quoting his title from the business card he gave me.
Well, in that case, I should make some business cards that say I'm a corporate vice president AND a professional basketball player.

The fact that they call themselves design engineers shows how full of sh!t they are.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
You seem to be missing the point.

There is no need for you to demo any of these receivers. If done properly (level matched precisely, features all turned off, and you being unaware of which brand is playing), there should be NO difference in sound quality.

If you demo any other way, differences that you perceive in sound quality will be due to setup differences, level differences, or your imagination.

It's a waste of time and it will only give you misleading results.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
If they aren't they suck. I wouldn't have confidence that their sales people even know how the gear was set up at all....
Well, they suck. I once observed a 'demo' at a Magnolia where the salesperson (sorry, I mean design engineer) compared a McIntosh to a Denon AVR.

He told the customer that the McIntosh amp was so much better than the Denon, then 'proved' it by setting up a comparison between the two in which he was playing the McIntosh way louder than he had the Denon set to, and said "See, the difference is clear to hear!"

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Well, they suck. I once observed a 'demo' at a Magnolia where the salesperson (sorry, I mean design engineer) compared a McIntosh to a Denon AVR.

He told the customer that the McIntosh amp was so much better than the Denon, then 'proved' it by setting up a comparison between the two in which he was playing the McIntosh way louder than he had the Denon set to, and said "See, the difference is clear to hear!"
Yep, last demo I did at a Magnolia in a BB they had no idea how the gear was setup, as I asked. Louder works.

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
Amps come in "sufficient" and "insufficient".

There are some edge case (or high power-demand) speakers out there where the McInosh would have been "sufficient" and the Denon "insufficient" (bass performance on my N801Ds seemed to require amps comfortable with very low ohm output). But I generally agree with your statement.

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Absolutely, at really high outputs the McIntosh would almost certainly outperform the Denon.

That's not what he claimed nor what he demonstrated.

HTfreak2004

HTfreak2004

Senior Audioholic
The frequencies being sent to the speaker change the impedance on the circuit.
Correct,

And as a result what goes up and down as a result of the signal influencing the impedance?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
Not enough info given to answer the question. Not to mention that the question is worded very strangely.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis