afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Who’s going Or ordering?

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
As I was standing in line to pay for 3 vinyl albums, I noticed 3 pimply aged kids in front of me all waiting to pay for boat loads of vinyl. I stopped to ask them why the love affair of vinyl and all three said, it was a more engaging way of listening to the music than streaming or playing CD. PLEASE NOTE ..no sound quality was mentioned. They loved the ritual of having to take care of the medium. They also loved that the artwork and that the liner notes were bigger. The one thing that struck me the most is that they all played the entire side of the album without skipping songs. It forced them to listen to what the artist had in mind instead of skipping around tracks for convience sake. That last reason to me is the most valuable take away. My eldest daughter loves to skip tracks but will never know the artists true capabilities because convenience gets in the way.

Talking to these kids and their knowledge of music which was very respectable by any stretch leaves me with the impression that people serious about music tend to favour vinyl for the reasons mentioned above. Its not a fad like the anti vinyl groups like to believe.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As I was standing in line to pay for 3 vinyl albums, I noticed 3 pimply aged kids in front of me all waiting to pay for boat loads of vinyl. I stopped to ask them why the love affair of vinyl and all three said, it was a more engaging way of listening to the music than streaming or playing CD. PLEASE NOTE ..no sound quality was mentioned. They loved the ritual of having to take care of the medium. They also loved that the artwork and that the liner notes were bigger. The one thing that struck me the most is that they all played the entire side of the album without skipping songs. It forced them to listen to what the artist had in mind instead of skipping around tracks for convience sake. That last reason to me is the most valuable take away. My eldest daughter loves to skip tracks but will never know the artists true capabilities because convenience gets in the way.

Talking to these kids and their knowledge of music which was very respectable by any stretch leaves me with the impression that people serious about music tend to favour vinyl for the reasons mentioned above. Its not a fad like the anti vinyl groups like to believe.
Then again it depends if how album oriented you are or not to a great degree. Even digitally I play the complete album generally (and don't have to get up in the middle and flip and clean it :) ). We played a lot of 45s as kids at first when it was sort of top 10 based, but, most of our group at least, started doing the whole album thing mostly. We had support of FM stations doing the AOR thing (album oriented rock).

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai

(Bold added for emphasis) I'd consider almost everyone on this site to be serious about music, yet not all of us favor vinyl.

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Well, it's a nice and very positive way of looking at it. Maybe too positive. Expecting the medium to stop you from skipping is the other way around. Why would you skip if you don't want to? Just because of the medium? Digital libraries are not making you skip. It is not implied in the technology.

Another thing, the number of conceptual albums vs the number of albums that just have the last 10-12 songs from an artist is something like 1 in 5 mill. I think this is an illusion that pro-vinyl crowd likes to cling onto. Artist's intention? Sure, with ELP, prog-rock, Mike Odlfield, Jarre, Pink Floyd... What about Black Keys, Coldplay, Nipple People, not to mention dimwit jumping monkeys like Billie Eilish. Artist's intention? not highly likely.

And then, most of the artist do make for some poop music. Even if you play it all the way through on the first listen, having technology make it harder for you to skip later on will not make you appreciate the album more.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
These kids were buying albums by Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Kinks, AC-DC , Muddy Waters which IHO is far from poop music. Not sure what you are saying about the Black Keys whose first 4 albums were really solid.

Im not saying that people who listen to music digitally do not listen to the entire album nor did I imply that. I also listen to music digitally as well. It was refreshing to see that these kids were album based listeners and not top 40 or pop junkies who listen to one song from an artist and move onto the next song/artist. :)

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
These kids were buying albums by Johnny Cash, Led Zeppelin, Kinks, AC-DC , Muddy Waters which IHO is far from poop music. Not sure what you are saying about the Black Keys whose first 4 albums were really solid.

Im not saying that people who listen to music digitally do not listen to the entire album nor did I imply that. I also listen to music digitally as well. It was refreshing to see that these kids were album based listeners and not top 40 or pop junkies who listen to one song from an artist and move onto the next song/artist. :)
@3db
I would love to read in to your small sample size a lot of great things about the future of music and a revival of the "album" culture. I think your comments are a positive look at a situation and I enjoy people with a positive attitude.
That positive attitude helps to offset my own cynicism and somewhat dimmer view of the unwashed masses.

When it comes to music in our culture and how people will enjoy it in the future, I think ANY group of folks that continues to "buy music" in any form is a good thing. When folks buy their music (in whatever format and however they do it) they support the performers who created it. Artists can't afford to make music if nobody shells out the shekels in some sort of purchase. I don't know the complete economic model for how musicians get paid in the year 2020, but, if nobody buys nothing that can't be good.

I think right now, live performances in concerts are the best way for musicians to earn a living. With the plague however that really puts that avenue in serious trouble. I know there are some business side folks on this forum who probably can speak to the best ways to make money as a musician these days. Vinyl probably isn't going to save nearly anyone. Who knows? Weirder things have happened

killdozzer

killdozzer

Audioholic Samurai

Conceptual. I said conceptual. I didn't care much in my response what is poop and what is not. And it goes for the most you named; there is absolutely no reason why you should hear the third song of Kinks after the second. The order is not what artist intended, especially not for Cash or AC-DC. And that is also what I meant for Black Keys. Yes it's a good band, but playing one side from the start to the end makes no sense with many of these bands.

That was one of the things you put forth as positive and one of those I don't agree with. There is nothing of the artist intention in order of the songs of mentioned artists and this is even more true for vinyl where, once again, it was the medium restrictions that often comanded the order and not artist's intention.

I'm not against TT, you do remember I have one and put so much effort into it just to make it play OK that people here started teasing me I was a vinylhead. :)

But the reason those kids named is good only if there's such a thing as artist's intention to speak of. That's why I said Pink Floyd (I like them, but I'm not a die-hard pinky). And the rest I mentioned, I only mentioned for that reason - having a concept that leads the album; Tangerine Dream, ELP, Enigma - regardless of poop or not.

And again, if it's the medium format the thing that is making you listen through, I don't care much for it.

I see people who like vinyl constantly looking for a new argument to defend the medium, but I wouldn't say this is one.

Cover art? Sure... But it's like saying that miniaturists are poop. Check this:
1599586926472.png

This is an actual needle! So CD covers can be good as well.

I give vinyl advantages of:
- romanticism
- ritual
- ambient
- steampunk sillines
- nostalgia (soon to become a part of CDs as well)
- few titles that are not digitalized (these are very few in fact and this argument should be used scarcely)

Mikado463

Mikado463

Audioholic Spartan
Then again it depends if how album oriented you are or not to a great degree. Even digitally I play the complete album generally (and don't have to get up in the middle and flip and clean it :) ). We played a lot of 45s as kids at first when it was sort of top 10 based, but, most of our group at least, started doing the whole album thing mostly. We had support of FM stations doing the AOR thing (album oriented rock).
you old fart, boy can I relate ! ;)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord

Finally someone built a true noise reduction system based on auto and cross correlation for vinyl. I did my undergrad thesis on these two types of correlation and it does work. Back in my day, the correlator was a huge honking box.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis