highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
What did you pay when u got it? There’s even a used one on amazon like new for $180. Edit 170 now. Errrrr
I got mine a long time ago- the d at the end indicates the version and they're up to 103r, at this point. It was part of a trade- I had a pair of Mac 75 tube power amps and I got a Conrad Johnson MV45 power amp and $200 credit. I got the cartridge and some speaker wire, but got hosed on the wire because it was just 12ga with thick clear insulation.

highfigh

highfigh

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Listened to Symphony No.1 last night from this box set:

The set I have is in absolutely mint condition. I don't think my mother played any of the albums from it much. She bought it new sometime during the 80's. It was recorded in 1961, with the inherent limitations of the time, so it certainly doesn't have the sound quality of a modern recording, but it's pretty good, all the same. As for the quality of the performance, far be it from me to pass judgement, but I thought it was good.

View attachment 40501View attachment 40502

From Wikipedia:

Maybe @TLS Guy could chime in with some comments on the performance and/or recording quality?

I have the Von Karajan (1961/62) cycle on CD (ripped to FLAC) and a copy of Symphony No. 5 on vinyl from the same recording session. I may do a comparison amongst the three out of curiosity.
My general experience has been that classical records tend to be in better condition than most other vintage records. I suspect that classical didn't get played as much as other genres, and I suspect that the type of people that actually listen to classical tend to take better care of their vinyl too.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This looks like a lot of fun - vinyl and a movie!

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Don't know if he has, but if not, he should listen to some Denon MC cartridges. I have a 103d and it's great- very enjoyable.
I always believed that my Dynavector 10X3 MC was the best sounding cart I ever owned and I've owned a lot of carts. Mostly mid or lower price. But I did NOT like the no user stylus replacement.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
highfigh

highfigh

I always believed that my Dynavector 10X3 MC was the best sounding cart I ever owned and I've owned a lot of carts. Mostly mid or lower price. But I did NOT like the no user stylus replacement.
They used to have a stylus replacement service- they no longer do it for the old ones, like mine- I think they still do it for more recent versions. Also, SoundSmith repairs cartridges.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
They used to have a stylus replacement service- they no longer do it for the old ones, like mine- I think they still do it for more recent versions. Also, SoundSmith repairs cartridges.
What is the price for re-tipping these days? and it is trustworthy?

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks for the info but alas mine is long gone(2010 or so). I actually would like to hear the new model on my Rega Planar 3 but the 10X5 I believe costs over $500 these days. Too rich for my blood. :)

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
My general experience has been that classical records tend to be in better condition than most other vintage records. I suspect that classical didn't get played as much as other genres, and I suspect that the type of people that actually listen to classical tend to take better care of their vinyl too.
I mustmhave run into bad luck because the batch I bought had to be thrown out. They were sooo noisy. :(

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
I mustmhave run into bad luck because the batch I bought had to be thrown out. They were sooo noisy. :(
Sometimes (not always) a simple conical stylus can actually make worn records sound a bit more listenable.

highfigh

highfigh

What is the price for re-tipping these days? and it is trustworthy?

This company has been around for quite a while- I bought an Ortofon cartridge for a B&O table from another dealer and it sounded good, but I didn't compare it with anything else. Not cheap, but when it's the only option for a beloved cartridge that may not be available.....

highfigh

highfigh

Don't assume that one genre of music will ensure that the LPs will be pristine- lots of people who listen to classical care ONLY about the music, not the sound quality.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't assume that one genre of music will ensure that the LPs will be pristine- lots of people who listen to classical care ONLY about the music, not the sound quality.
I assume no such thing really. Ive also seen used albums that looked pristine sound like shite and other albums that looked like dirt play cleanly. Until the stylus hits the groove, you never know what you get.

highfigh

highfigh

I assume no such thing really. Ive also seen used albums that looked pristine sound like shite and other albums that looked like dirt play cleanly. Until the stylus hits the groove, you never know what you get.
The problem with vinyl LPs is that they can look pristine, but the dirt has been left by some kind of record cleaning liquid that lets it drop to the bottom of the groove and that prevents the stylus engaging the surface as well as it should. Then, it plows through and shoves it around. Never been a fan of liquids and personally, I think some of the expensive record cleaners are just plain fraudulent. I did some repairs to a Nitty Gritty cleaner that looked like a bad science fair project and it sold for more than $400 when it was new, in the early-'80s. What a chunk of crap! The guy who owned it borrowed a different one from a friend and it had 1" paint roller covers that spin, as a visual representation of how it removes surface moisture after the liquid has worked its magic. He told me to check it out and bring a few LPs, so they could be cleaned. He described the results as, "It's like a veil has been lifted". The LP I brought (wasn't going to ruin more, in light of my past experiences with cleaning liquids) sounded like absolute crap when I played it- good thing it was the copy that I no longer play because I had basically worn it out and it had been scratched.

I think I have bought three used LPs, some were given to me and I only play a couple of them because they actually sound good. The rest were treated like farm animals.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis