Using 4 or 8 ohm speaker with 2.5 ohm subwoofer

B

Bspars13

Audiophyte
I have a new Sony soundbar which I want to connect my outside speakers to / via the subwoofer. The outside speakers have 4 or 8 ohm options - can I use these speakers with my 2.5 ohm subwoofer - should I use 4 or 8 ohm? Can I connect both outside speakers to one port on my subwoofer? My plan is just to disconnect one of the surround sound speakers when I want to use my outside ones

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I have a new Sony soundbar which I want to connect my outside speakers to / via the subwoofer. The outside speakers have 4 or 8 ohm options - can I use these speakers with my 2.5 ohm subwoofer - should I use 4 or 8 ohm? Can I connect both outside speakers to one port on my subwoofer? My plan is just to disconnect one of the surround sound speakers when I want to use my outside ones
Model numbers would help. It dose6nt sound feasible as subwoofers generally are not designed to power other speakers, with exceptions to some bose units.

B

Bspars13

Audiophyte
The subwoofer is a Sony HT-RT3 and the speakers are 2.5 ohms surround speakers

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The only connections on the subwoofer are for the sound bar and the rear speakers. There is no output for additional speakers.

Screenshot_20191224-044357_Drive.jpg

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Also no you can't connect 2 speakers to 1 port. Are you wanting access to sources outside?

B

Bspars13

Audiophyte
My plan was to just take one of the rear speakers out for a short time and just plug in one of the speakers that are outside - that bit is easy

just trying to work out if a 4 or 8 ohm speaker will work and not damage my subwoofer

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
My plan was to just take one of the rear speakers out for a short time and just plug in one of the speakers that are outside - that bit is easy

just trying to work out if a 4 or 8 ohm speaker will work and not damage my subwoofer
Hard to tell, there is no specs of the crossover so that combined with it being another HTIB speaker it could work, could damage the sub. The issue that would come up is how far of a run to outside? The gauge of the factory speaker wire might not be sufficient. Overall it's not really a good idea, I'd find another solution for outdoor sound.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis