Understanding speaker power rating vs sensitivity

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Tempests are great, but the @Petrolhead hasn't mentioned interest in diy. The RF-7 woofers are 10", so they have some displacement. But, yes, he should consider alternatives.

I was thinking something like the JBL HDI 3800 as a formally similar alternative to RF-7. Legit 'big room' speaker. Great measured performance (linky). Better than the Klipsch? Haven't seen any measurements of those, but I'd wager so. JBLs are less expensive at current street prices, by quite a bit.
1729738449043.jpeg

Last edited:
P

Petrolhead

Enthusiast
Just curious, but why the Klipsch? Me personally, the narrow towers with smaller woofers do not work for me. Many of what's passing for woofers these days are better mid-range drivers than woofers, hence using subs to add that presence of displacement to the system. But if trying to use a pair of speakers full range, for my use, they better have a 12-15" woofer. I do not like using midrange drivers at higher excursion for mid-bass mixed with the other midrange duties. This is where I have to start getting fussy with EQ and I don't really feel like eff'ng around with all that now.

I like chest slam with the music I listen to. And that from genuine, life sized, sound pressure waves. When I get tired of eff'ng around with all the notions of 'wife approved' bs that passes for audio performance these days, I break out these bad boys and get gut, chest and throat punched into audio submission. I tried dilly dakkin around with all the connoisseur stuff, less is more, and all that, but was never truly satisfied.

Added a pair of subs in the same finish and now, power doesn't really matter, except for the subs. Nothing else I have really kicks like these. They're ridiculous and refined at the same time. They just get louder and louder without falling down. No technological mysteries, no real cabinet tricks. Band in the room, or even outdoors, for that matter.

These have a sensitivity of 98db. I've used amps from 8watts to 200 with them. The 8watt amps you can sort of sense a limitation, even though the halfway point on the volume knob is still kind of too loud. Not that this is what you need or want, but often times, many speakers are just a little too small for some people. For end game performance per my habits, 12" designs are the minimum.
In my younger days I had some Cerwin Vega XLS 215 that enjoyed a lot. The sound was really not that great, but the powerful feel from the speakers was awesome.

I am older now and appreciate more clarity from my stereo.

The main reason I have been zeroing in on the RF-7 is just because I am perfectly happy with the quality of sound I have now. I really love my r-115sw subwoofer and everything matches aesthetically together. I really like the looks. So when I am in my situation now and just want a little bit more, this was just one step up in the same ladder.

It also have good reviews, the ones I have seen.

That being said, you can play around with somewhere between 5 and 10.000$ and come up with suggestions. I am also for the most part comfortable with buying used equipment for the most part. I am not locked in to any brand or model, but pretty confident I need both amp and speakers.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis