Thoughts and prayers for Paris, France.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
As for quantum physics being so well understood, why haven't they been able to create life yet? "Particles coming into and out of existence" doesn't constitute creating life, does it? If you expect me to accept that as proof of creating life, then you should be able to accept what history and The Bible says.
I agree; quantum physics describes a method by which the universe could be created out of nothing. The origin of life seems to be a different matter.

lsiberian

lsiberian

Audioholic Overlord
I'd argue the Oil companies have had more to do with the anti-science movement than the church.

H

herbu

Audioholic Samurai
I never understood why people of faith can't embrace the science of evolution as a way of explaining God's process or grande plan of life... keep the why to religion/faith and the how to science and there should be no conflict
Gene, here are two points on which we agree. I don't see the conflict. Even in the Bible, God and Jesus spoke in parables. Each parable contained a truth, but the story itself was just a story. I don't understand why some people today want to interpret the stories themselves as factual. As a matter of fact, that's why 40 years ago I dropped Religion as my major and decided to become an engineer instead of a minister.

So on the core points we agree. The thing we both still need to work on is not painting our political opposition with such a broad brush. The killings in France were done by animals. It's not our fault. We didn't create them or their beliefs. But we need to find the most effective way to deal with them, without sacrificing our own inviolability.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
"Faith is the suspension of critical thinking"
Every time you go through a green light or have the right of way at a stop street you operate on faith that the people perpendicular to your direction will stop.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I'd argue the Oil companies have had more to do with the anti-science movement than the church.
You can't be serious. Just because they market against global warming, and everyone knows their position is pure bs, you can't judge the entire industry. Oil companies are some of the biggest practical users of science in multiple fields, perhaps the largest users of commercial supercomputing, and my guess is that as a proportion of their employees with hard science PhDs they're up there with Intel and IBM. You don't find oil and run drilling operations without science.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
So, you're asking more proof of them than you are of those great minds you quote?

There are many journals of people other than those from his deciples, such as Josephus and Tacitus, that can chronicle Jesus's existence. Just because you didn't witness it yourself you deny his existence? The same could be said about the holocaust, couldn't it?

As for quantum physics being so well understood, why haven't they been able to create life yet? "Particles coming into and out of existence" doesn't constitute creating life, does it? If you expect me to accept that as proof of creating life, then you should be able to accept what history and The Bible says.
Yes proof of Jesus being real and a deity is EXACTLY the same as proving the Holocaust happened except the we have actual tangible evidence, video footage and living eyewitnesses of the later as opposed to parables written 100s of years after the alleged death of Jesus in a book that's been translated countless times over generations.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
You can't be serious. Just because they market against global warming, and everyone knows their position is pure bs, you can't judge the entire industry. Oil companies are some of the biggest practical users of science in multiple fields, perhaps the largest users of commercial supercomputing, and my guess is that as a proportion of their employees with hard science PhDs they're up there with Intel and IBM. You don't find oil and run drilling operations without science.
I would say for climate change only this argument has a lot of validity similar to the tobacco industry with health benefits of smoking years ago.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Every time you go through a green light or have the right of way at a stop street you operate on faith that the people perpendicular to your direction will stop.
Very true and as I taught my daughter who is now learning how to drive, a turn signal from another car doesn't necessarily prove the person intends to turn, it just means that it works.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
Agreed with the origins of the universe and even big bang but Evolution on the other hand is a scientific fact.
Evolution is the systemic modification of an existing living organism over time. That is not the same as creating a living life form from scratch.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Agreed with the origins of the universe and even big bang but Evolution on the other hand is a scientific fact.
Evolution is a fact. My point about the hypotheses not qualifying as scientific theories regarded the actual origin of life on Earth and how it came about.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
About refugees from Syria (1)

I read in a newspaper today that in Malmö, they are receiving so many refugees that the economy of the city is fully on the way to be destabilised and out of control, and the Swedish just go on, increasing the amount of people they receive.

The situation in Sweden seems to get fully out of control

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
About refugees from Syria (2)

It has been reported in Norwegian media that Syrian refugees have returned from Norway back to Syria as they were complaining about horrible conditions here, we are talking about people that were staying at 4 or 5 star winter resorts, pretty high class places, and they complain about food, about rooms, about showers, toilets... One of the worst things reported from their side was that some of the guys even had to use the same toilet as women...

So conditions in a high-class Norwegian resort is too poor for these refugees who have to flee the country being scared of their lives... so they have to return back to Syria... I feel :confused:

Wonder how many of those there are o_O

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
About refugees from Syria (3)

Wonder how many terrorists there are amongst those so-called refugees...
We know there are some exceedingly dangerous individuals in Norway and Sweden...

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
About refugees from Syria (2)

It has been reported in Norwegian media that Syrian refugees have returned from Norway back to Syria as they were complaining about horrible conditions here, we are talking about people that were staying at 4 or 5 star winter resorts, pretty high class places, and they complain about food, about rooms, about showers, toilets... One of the worst things reported from their side was that some of the guys even had to use the same toilet as women...

So conditions in a high-class Norwegian resort is too poor for these refugees who have to flee the country being scared of their lives... so they have to return back to Syria... I feel :confused:

Wonder how many of those there are o_O
Bye, Felicia

refugees 2.jpg

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I can't believe this conversation still continues, and I can't believe I'm still reading it. I guess it beats the latest bi-amp or bi-wire thread.
Evolution is a fact…
Evolution is not a fact in the sense that it can be easily confirmed by direct observation with our unaided senses. In the same thinking, an electron is not a simple fact. We cannot observe a single electron. It is an idea (more formally, it's a theoretical construct) that explains observable electrical behavior rather well.

If we had a DeLorian equipped with all the options, we could travel back and forth in time, and we might be able to directly observe evolution happening. Just the same, animals and plants have clearly changed over time. We have constructed an idea, Evolution & Natural Selection, to explain how this happens. So far, it works rather well to explain things. Natural Selection is alive and well today. Just ask yourself how ISIS's model of suicide/terrorism can be expected to take over the world if they can't out survive those who they wish to defeat. (See how evolution and the Paris terrorist attacks are related.)

I am only playing the smartass editor here ;). Evolution is not a fact, but it is a very widely accepted explanation for what we can observe. I have never met an honest scientist denies it.

We meet many more people why claim bi-wiring is a benefit when there is no evidence to support them. I guess I'd rather argue with Evolution non-believers than with bi-wire guys.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
This thread is an example of what world governments want their people / sheep to do.
Be distracted and argue around the periphery.
Keep paying more and more taxes with hope of being protected by the government. The very governments that caused the problems in the first place.
Oh, and when the sheep slowly grow tired of being controlled by religion... create the new religion of Science and control them with that.
true for the most part except science is pretty much shunned in this country by the youth an
Evolution is the systemic modification of an existing living organism over time. That is not the same as creating a living life form from scratch.
I'm confused as to why you think I stated otherwise. Evolution only shows a process. The origin of life is still an unknown and why faith and science can and should still co-exist.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis