This hard to believe, but...

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
This is hard to believe, but the amp in my SONY CMT-FX300i shelf stereo sounds better with my Boston Acoustics CS26 speakers that any other amp that has been in this system. The other amps include the following:

Pioneer VSX-523-k (AVR)
Sherwood RX-4503 (stereo receiver)
Insignia NS-STR514 (stereo receiver)
Crown NX 1000 power amp with a passive preamp (volume control)

I really like how this system sounds. It is really clear and detailed. Do any of you use a shelf system with better speakers than the ones that came with it? Peace and goodwill.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
This is hard to believe, but the amp in my SONY CMT-FX300i shelf stereo sounds better with my Boston Acoustics CS26 speakers that any other amp that has been in this system. The other amps include the following:

Pioneer VSX-523-k (AVR)
Sherwood RX-4503 (stereo receiver)
Insignia NS-STR514 (stereo receiver)
Crown NX 1000 power amp with a passive preamp (volume control)

I really like how this system sounds. It is really clear and detailed. Do any of you use a shelf system with better speakers than the ones that came with it? Peace and goodwill.
Of course, what sounds better is subjective by nature. Also, the fact is that if you don't know which one is playing, your preference concluded in previous sighted comparisons may change. That's been mentioned many times on various forums, and studies on related topics have been cited too.

Tightly controlled blind comparison tests are very difficult to conduct in home ht or hifi rooms too. This is not to say your findings are not valid, just saying it isn't that hard to believe for reasons mentioned.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
A Crown NX1000? Or Behringer? (just curious, never saw such a Crown model).

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I have a ~30yr old Sony shelf system that had some very basic speakers that came with it. It went to each of my kids and when they moved out, it remained with me. I wasn't using it for a while because it lacks modern functionality, but it still works fine. A year or so ago, I set it back up and had a pair of Micca MB42x that are only a little larger than the ones it came with. I hooked them up to it and that little system sounds great in the bedroom. It has gained a little modern functionality by hooking up a tablet to it for streamed music. I can't say they sound "better" on that system than the surround duty they were doing in another system, but they definitely sound better than the original speakers.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
A Crown NX1000? Or Behringer? (just curious, never saw such a Crown model).
It is indeed a Crown power amp. I bought it from Musician's Friend as the "Stupid Deal of the Day." I bought it to use in a PA system but never did because it is very heavy. Peace and goodwill.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Yes, that is the one I have, the mighty X 1000. Peace and goodwill.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The only time I had a shelf system was a Panasonic set my dad gave me (record player, 8 track, am/fm receiver, speakers). Never tried using its receiver with another setup, went to components after that.....and can't say any one amp stands out, they all worked fine (some are still in use).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis