My Onkyo Integrated Amp

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I bought an Onkyo A-9050 from Amazon.com a few days after last Christmas. I have been very happy with the sound until yesterday. When I turned it on, I heard a scratchy/distorted sound, which did not change due to any adjustment one could make on the amp. I then unplugged all of the inputs, and nothing changed. The scratchy sound remained. I tested every connection, etc. So I put it back in the box and installed my Sherwood RX-4503 receiver in its place. This is one time when a $150 receiver sounds better than a $350 integrated amp (less then a year old). I am VERY disappointed. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I bought an Onkyo A-9050 from Amazon.com a few days after last Christmas. I have been very happy with the sound until yesterday. When I turned it on, I heard a scratchy/distorted sound, which did not change due to any adjustment one could make on the amp. I then unplugged all of the inputs, and nothing changed. The scratchy sound remained. I tested every connection, etc. So I put it back in the box and installed my Sherwood RX-4503 receiver in its place. This is one time when a $150 receiver sounds better than a $350 integrated amp (less then a year old). I am VERY disappointed. Peace and goodwill.
Unfortunately you now have first hand experience of the Onkyblow brand.

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
By chance did you call Onkyo and see if they can help or what would it take to fix it? Should be under warranty.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
If it's less than a year old, it should be covered by a warranty.

I hope you saved your receipt and kept the original packaging.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Thanks for the responses. I am at work now, but I will print a receipt and contact Onkyo when I get home. I live in the boondocks, so shipping is a huge hassle. Peace and goodwill.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
Well, I unboxed the Onkyo A-9050 because I needed to see the serial number. So I reconnected it to double check, and now it is working fine: no scratchy/distorted sound at all. It had been sitting on top of my Sony CD changer, so I moved the CD changer to a different shelf.

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
I'd still send it in cause the problem could get worse.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Well, I unboxed the Onkyo A-9050 because I needed to see the serial number. So I reconnected it to double check, and now it is working fine: no scratchy/distorted sound at all. It had been sitting on top of my Sony CD changer, so I moved the CD changer to a different shelf.
Bad cable or oxidized connection. When you removed and replaced, it knocked off some oxidation?

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I am just glad it is now working. If I send it to be repaired, and it does nothing wrong, it will just be sent back. I used to work in an audio-video store in New Orleans, Alterman Audio. If a unit in for service did not exhibit the problem it was sent in for, we could not repair it.

I am using the same cables that were there before (LOL). I suppose that on Sunday it was picking up some sort of interference. It made the bad sound even with all of the inputs removed. Now it is as quiet as before; at least it was yesterday. I have not used it today yet. Peace and goodwill.

M

markw

Audioholic Overlord
I used to repair TV's. This is the problem with intermittent problems. Since the cause was never found and fixed, the problem lies in wait to spring up vat an unexpected time.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I used to repair TV's. This is the problem with intermittent problems. Since the cause was never found and fixed, the problem lies in wait to spring up vat an unexpected time.
+1

Intermittent problems are absolutely the most difficult to deal with!

Broken, I can deal with and repair. Intermittent---you might spend weeks and still have no clue!

I have picked up 1 trick that helps with intermittent problems, sometimes. You can use a hair drier to heat an area and see if that causes the problem, or you can hit it with a blast of cold air and see if that causes it.

c.coyle

c.coyle

Audioholic Intern
Arcing power switch could be the problem. Shouldn't happen in a new unit.

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
It is now making the noise again. Rats!

Peace and goodwill.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It's Onkyo. It's not a question of IF, but WHEN. :D

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I am now using it as a preamp into my Crown X1000 power amp. So far so good. Peace and goodwill.

J

JRT3

Junior Audioholic
I've been repairing consumer electronics since I was in HS ('64-'66). I would unplug the AC cord to the amplifier and carefully, with the proper sized tool(s), remove the top of the cabinet and look for printed circuit board connections (plugs). I would then wiggle them slightly as I pressed them back in place. Then, re-assemble the case, connect it back up, and see if the fault returns. If the fault does return. get it back to Onkyo while it still is under warranty.

I have had an Onkyo TX SR505 AVR for years and a C-7030/TX-8020 (stereo) for over a year with zero problems.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis