There are soooo many speaker manufacturers.

charmerci

charmerci

Audioholic
... don't even bother then with headphones. Talk about SO many brands! o_O

D

D Murphy

Full Audioholic
http://v2.stereotimes.com/post/alexis-sound-rebecca-monitor-loudspeaker
They were a Philharmonitor iteration that Dennis teamed up with someone in Asia to get produced at a relatively low price. I think they may have been a v2 of the Philharmonitor with the last he produced being v3.

Dennis sold them, but they had the Alexis branding on them and came from Asia.

For MY particular pair, I picked up a demo pair that Dennis had at one of the DC audio shows. I think they normally sold for $850 plus shipping, but Dennis sold me the demo for $800 even. I could be wrong about this, it was many years ago, but I know I got a modest discount.

But, all things considered, I preferred to do this b/c I knew that Dennis got the set in-hand before the show to check out before showing them off at the show. They are excellent speakers!

EDIT: If you read that link, I think they say it is "Alexis Tweeters" which is bogus. They are Fountek Neo Tweeters that simply have a round faceplate instead of the standard rectangle faceplate.

View attachment 30365
Right you are. They were a bargain at $850, but the BMR was a considerable step up. I hadn't seen that review before. Thanks for the link.

P

photographer86

Audioholic
How do you know which sound good. How do you know if you can’t hear them beforehand?

Just look here for a partial listing https://www.usaudiomart.com/
So we all have to listen, do research and learn what companies out of all them do there homework and research to make a good speakers. A lot of us on this forum have listened to a lot. Iv’e been going through the same thing like you. I just what i want to call my first real speakers. Klipsch rp-160m. The bass is tight. Not muddy like cheaper mass produced speakers. We also have our own sound that sounds good. When we go into a high-end audio store and listen to brands like b&w, klipsch or other brands that cost more the reason those speakers sound good is cause the manufactures did there research. I was always myself being on a budget going with cheap brand speakers. Trying to get that sound signature. I wish i would have saved which i finally did and enjoy well manufactures speakers that sound good now. So it’s very much worth to take a drive if no audio store is close and listen for a day. Listen before taking home. Or go online route but make sure you can return. Its great to have the online prices we can find but not having a store to go into makes it hard.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
How do you know which sound good if you can’t hear them beforehand?
A. Go by speaker measurements
B. Go by Pro Reviews
C. Go by User Reviews/Forum
D. Go by your experience with previous speakers that have measurements
E. All of the above

Answer: E

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis