The Speaker Company?

N

nick51

Audioholics Approved Vendor
TSC website

Our Apologies to all. Network Solutions was not solving the problem fast enough and could not give us a timeframe for fixing it. Rather than continue with indefinite random outages we made the hard decision to move the “name servers” to our own servers. Unfortunately as some of you might know, this means 10 – 24 hours before we are populated in DNS’s around the country and start showing up. We regret this short term problem and it will be fixed shortly.
Nick

J

John Bailey

Audioholic
Thanks for the info Nick. It will save a bit of "clicking" on this end.

John

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Nick. I had a question on your Asub10 subwoofer. The frequency range is listed as 35-200Hz, which I'm assuming incorporates the cutoff (crossover), yet the response is listed as 65 Hz – 20 kHz, which I'm assuming incorporates no cutoff. To be more blunt, how can the range can dip 30 Hz lower than the potential response? And does the Asub10 truly extend to 20 kHz? I don't really know that much about this stuff, was just wondering since you've been kind enough to join this forum. I've pasted the spec sheet and posted a link to that page. Thanks much.

http://gc.digitalriver.com/store/speaker/DisplayCategoryProductListPage/categoryID.11219400

ASub10 125 Watt Powered Subwoffer
TSC’s ASub10 Powered Subwoofer adds substantial bass output to your system without slapping your budget silly. The internal amplifiers 250 watts of peak power gives you all the push you need to rock the house with music or the explosive concussions of today’s movie soundtracks. And you can add ASub10 to virtually any system easily

Send to a friend
Product Manual ASub10 125 Watt Powered Subwoffer
250 Watts Peak Power (125 Watt) Powered Subwoofer
10" Long-Throw Driver
35 Hz to 200Hz Frequency Range
Qty

$149.97

Specifications Customer Reviews Additional Information Additional Images Specifications
Product Specifications

General
Type Subwoofer
Priced As Each
Bass Driver(s) 10" Long-Throw
Performance
Frequency Response 65 Hz – 20 kHz
Impedance in Ohms 4
Power Amp (watts) 125 (250 Peak)
Dimensions
Height/Width/Depth 15 1/2" X 14" X 14 1/2"
Weight per speaker 34 lbs
Finish Black

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
That sub is a confusing one. 35Hz at the bottom? If so, I wouldn't touch it. It's got to be a typo because even for $150 you can do better.

N

nick51

ASub10

I'll double check the sub in the morning and post here.

N

nick51

TSC site is now with a new Name server company and the site is running fine.

N

nick51

The Correct Response rate is now posted for the ASub10. Our apologies for this error. We double checked everthing else too and all else seems fine.

General

Performance
Frequency Response 35 Hz – 180 Hz

Crossover Adjustment 40 to 180 Hz

Impedance in Ohms 4

Dimensions
Height/Width/Depth
15 1/2" X 14" X 14 1/2"

Finish Black

J

Johnd

Audioholic Samurai
The Correct Response rate is now posted for the ASub10. Our apologies for this error. We double checked everthing else too and all else seems fine.

General

Performance
Frequency Response 35 Hz – 180 Hz

Crossover Adjustment 40 to 180 Hz

Impedance in Ohms 4

Dimensions
Height/Width/Depth
15 1/2" X 14" X 14 1/2"

Finish Black
Thanks Nick. That's both a timely response and correction...much appreciated. I was also wondering if your company would consider posting pictures of their plant (in action), and if that is not convenient or feasible (understood), perhaps some interior pictures of some of your speakers so as to display their construction detail and interior componentry. Some of us are interested in that kind of thing. Of course, with speakers, the primary concern is always what is heard...very subjective. Thanks much, John

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
Taking fairly detailed pictures (inside and out, if feasible) of the P6 bookshelfs are something I plan to do when I have them in house as part of my review... -TD

tomd51

tomd51

Audioholic General
For those interested, I received the TSC P6-PRs yesterday afternoon and took some pictures today.

I'll start a separate thread for a review of them sometime tomorrow where I can link pictures and give some initial impressions... -TD

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
For those interested, I received the TSC P6-PRs yesterday afternoon and took some pictures today.

I'll start a separate thread for a review of them sometime tomorrow where I can link pictures and give some initial impressions... -TD
Hurry up already! :p

SheepStar

D

dimitrin

Audiophyte
I need to buy a 7.1 set of speakers, and it looks like this company could have what I need, but i can't find a phone number for them on the website anywhere. I tried the email option, and asked for a phone number, but the response that I got seemed very generic and never addressed my concern/request about a phone number. If this is any representation of how warranty issues would be handled then maybe it is best to steer clear of them.
The other option I've found is Fluance. They have a phone number, and have been favorably reviewed more than once.

R

RedTruck

Audiophyte
Another Review of the P6 & P5

Still trying to decide about giving these speakers a look. I found another reviewer taking a look at them at soundadviceblog.com. He just started his review so hopefully it will be completed soon.

codexp3

codexp3

Audioholic
The truth about SVS revealed

No. You are dealing with someone who has identified a logical flaw in your (and your associates') usual pattern of character assault.

You are frustrated because you cannot attack my message, a fact, so you continue on with your futile assault on my character.

Furry my friend, this is a fight we cannot win. When I tried to defend my choice of the Fathom 113 over an SVS sub, I was attacked and called a fanboy. Using logic against the illogical is futile. I was told by members of this forum that things such as patents, research, and product development have no impact on product quality.

emorphien

emorphien

Audioholic General
I was told by members of this forum that things such as patents, research, and product development have no impact on product quality.
Well to some extent that all can be true. All the patents and research in the world don't guarantee a product will be good. Product development I would say has a more direct path towards good quality, but they can still go the wrong direction there too.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Well, what else can we do. We tried to discover the truth. Using logic, we got a glimpse of the truth, and we tried to tell everybody about what we found. And guess what, they [those on the payroll and those not on the payroll] want to lynch us.

So life goes on. I said this in that speaker fanboy thread, truth be told, I am tired and I am giving up this fight to preach the truth. Plus my wallet feels a bit empty right now. I offered my services to whatever higher powers that run this fanboy franchise, for a fee, of course. So far, no replies. I guess I am being punished for my earlier outspokenness.:eek:

It's a lonely fight. But as long as you know you are true to your heart, in the end, that's all that matters.:D The show must go on, and in the meantime, enjoy the music! :)

Furry my friend, this is a fight we cannot win. When I tried to defend my choice of the Fathom 113 over an SVS sub, I was attacked and called a fanboy. Using logic against the illogical is futile. I was told by members of this forum that things such as patents, research, and product development have no impact on product quality.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Sometimes I really try to picture what kind of people can write up those grammatically and compositionally superlative audio reviews.

The only conclusion that I have reached so far is, they must all have been starving English majors at one time or another. Think about it logically, who amongst us really have that kind of mastery of the English language to turn a dead cow into a Cindy Crawford (aside from plastic surgeons of course)? English majors. Most of them were probably starving writing editorials for local papers no one ever bothers to read. So the smart ones decided to start writing audio reviews. And I bet they are making a killing with all those 5 syllable words they are so fond of using.:D

codexp3

codexp3

Audioholic
Sometimes I really try to picture what kind of people can write up those grammatically and compositionally superlative audio reviews.

The only conclusion that I have reached so far is, they must all have been starving English majors at one time or another. Think about it logically, who amongst us really have that kind of mastery of the English language to turn a dead cow into a Cindy Crawford (aside from plastic surgeons of course)? English majors. Most of them were probably starving writing editorials for local papers no one ever bothers to read. So the smart ones decided to start writing audio reviews. And I bet they are making a killing with all those 5 syllable words they are so fond of using.:D

It’s a very good possibility. We know for a fact it’s not the music majors, and the audio engineers take on real jobs. You just don't see poor speaker reviews. HomeTheaterMag gives everything 95%.

G

Guangui

Full Audioholic
Reviewers are experts at dressing up flaws on a speaker, while still trying to say it is a flaw. They also use either too technical of a language to keep happy the techies out there, or they use language that sounds like a wonderful story to say that the speaker is not that good; and no one understands.

On another forum I once said that if you see a review with three or four faults "iffy" comments about the speaker being reviewed to be careful of buying that speaker, even if the reviewer in its conclusion says that the speakers is good. Needless to say, most people jumped at me saying that I didn't know what I was talking about, and how was it possible for a reviewer to hide between the lines such info. Well, I still have to see a reviewer that says: "This speaker sucks". BTW, most of the ones that jumped at the fact that reviewers tend not to be clear about flaws in a speaker had titles in their nicks like "Senior Forum Audio Guru", "Grand Master Audio Expert", "Professor in Audio Mastery", etc.

Would be nice to see a real review. For example, a Klipsch RVX-42:

It is a nice on-wall speaker that comes well packed on a carton box, and you will only spend 2 minutes unpacking it. Construction is average, but good enough for your family room. Installation is a breeze with keyholes provided for on-wall mounting. If you prefer to mount them on a stand, you should buy something better and built for that purpose, like Klipsch's RB Series. It will probably be less expensive anyways. But, if you still insist in doing something as stupid as using an on-wall speaker as bookshelves/towers, then a convenient on-wall/stand switch is provided to adjust the sound according to the mount.

A 10" sub is included with this system, and very much needed. But, we will not talk anymore about the sub as it is a below average piece of equipment. Our advise is to give it away to the needy, and get a real sub within your budget. There are at least 50 options, so do your research as there is nothing more boring than doing sub reviews.

Hook up is easy using a 14/2 AWG cable, you have done this many times so explaining further will just take up advertisement space. We used three $20,000.00 ea. McIntosh Amps with a $10,000.00 AV Pre-Amp/Processor, and a $1,000.00 surge protector/signal conditioner. But, who cares as we know you guys are using an Onkyo TX-605, Marantz SR-4001, Denon AVR-888, HK AVR-247, or something similar in the $300.00 - $500.00 range.

The typical buyer for these speaker is a blue collar hard working person that his wife grabbed him by the balls and made him buy on-walls because of decoration issues. His equipment is good, but modest, probably anchored by one of the above receivers and uses a Made in China DVD/CD player. To keep within that we used a Shanling T-100 CD player, Made in China and sold in the USA for only $2,000.00. For movies we chose a $3,000.00 BluRay Marantz player that we were able to get free from Marantz to review. Let me say this DVD player is the best one out there, and at $3K it is a bargain. If Marantz keeps sending free stuff we need to patrocinate their products.

For our music test I played some demo CD's with excellent music that you can only find in this tiny specialty CD store in a basement in Juno, AK. For DVD we used The Incredibles remastered edition with super enhanced surround; only two copies available, ours and the one the audio engineered who edited it has. Basic stuff.

Won't get into music details, but the RVX-42's were loud, clear and detailed, but loud. The horn was just too much for my ears. Only heard two tracks and my ears wanted to pop. As for movies it was a diffrent story, if felt like if you were there. Explosions sounded real, transitions from one speaker to the other were seamless, and dialogue was very clear and precise. These speakers had a good image, but not so much could be said about their soundstage. Bass had to be handled by the sub, which we already said is a POS and couldn't handle booms, explosions, and rumbles very well.

In conclusion I wouldn't recommend these speakers, as there are better options for the same price or less. As an example, Paradigm Cinema 330, and Monitor Audio R225.

For our next issue we will have extra pages available as Klipsch will pull their multi page advertisement from our magazine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis