The giant is here: Velodyne DLS 5000R 15" Monster

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, do you live in a anechoic chamber? No. In room measurements are more reliable and more relatable.

SheepStar
no, that means, that measurement already had room gain and is almost half as loud.

actually, room measurements are more UNrelatable than anechoic measurements. at least everybody starts at the same point with anechoic.

my ep500 measures 18hz anechoic and in room as well.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
no, that means, that measurement already had room gain and is almost half as loud.

actually, room measurements are more UNrelatable than anechoic measurements. at least everybody starts at the same point with anechoic.
How can an in room measurement be un-relatable? Do you not have rooms? You're never going to get Anechoic performance, ever. Sounds relatable to me.

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
simply because in my old room, the ep500 really does 18hz. in my bedroom, i dont think it even breaks 20hz. thats how unrelatable rooms are ... and these two rooms are similar in size.

Last edited:
annunaki

annunaki

Anechoic response is much more reliable data. In-room nearfield response would be more accurate than in-room response at the listening positions, even if they are averaged.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
simply because in my old room, the ep500 really does 18hz. in my bedroom, i dont think it even breaks 20hz. thats how unrelatable rooms are ... and these two rooms are similar in size.
That would be an acoustics problem. Also could be the seating. The output will be greater in a room, and when setup properly lower. I think the room used for those measurements was rather large.

All of Tom Nousaine's measurements are done in a 7500cu.ft. room, with the subwoofer corner loaded.

Measure the output near-field and you will get real world performance.

SheepStar

H

HTfan14

Audioholic Intern
Good god, now I'm confused. So far, I can't complain about the Velo. But I'm seriously considering the PB10 if it can sound better and deeper in my room.
How is there return policy? You could always bring one home and compare to the Velo...:cool:

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
A 10inch going deeper than a 15inch? I will believe that when pigs start flying.

A 10inch may go as low as a 15inch, but with a LOT more distortion and strain.

Don't buy into all the hype.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
A 10inch going deeper than a 15inch? I will believe that when pigs start flying.

Well, I know the PB10 can get down to 18hz with good SPL. The Velo 5000r is rated at 23hz, so I don't know what kind of spl it maintains if it gets down to the teens. It's also a slot loaded sub, so I don't know if it's capped at a certain tuning point.

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_12_3/velodyne-dls-5000r-subwoofer-9-2005-part-2.html

I can't make head and tails from this review. The graph doesn't look very impressive but he says it's a great subwoofer. :confused:

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
In a smaller room the PB10 will do pretty well... in a medium size room I would be looking towards a PB12.

A ported design can and will go lower then a sealed design, unless EQ is used to raise that low end roll off..

So it is possible in a small room that a smal 10" ported designed sub can go lower then a 15" sealed sub design.. of coarse there are alot of variables here as well... so YMMV

*****EDIT**** My bad, the Velo is a ported sub... BLAH...

But what I said is possible...

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yep. the velo is tuned to around 30hz but has an EQ boost lower than that BUT a subsonic filter at 24hz. the PB10 is tuned to 20hz. so in SPL, the PB10 is pretty much outgunned (because of the tuning and size of the driver and amp) but in extension, the PB10 is better, in a small room ... but as you can see here, it compresses slightly around 100db outdoors

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/994-svs-pb10-isd-2nd-unit.html

http://www.hometheatershack.com/forums/subwoofer-tests/6013-svs-pb10-isd-1st-unit.html

here, the 5000R can do 105db before compressing.

http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=14732&start=0&rid=14&SQ=1126361620

you decide. but you can get around the SPL thing using dual PB10's.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord

It's possible, but the 10inch driver would need to be very well engineered and the 15inch would not.

AVtalk has ground plain measurements for the 5000R, it wasn't that impressive, at least not compared to the PB10 as far as extension goes.

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I don't have a big budget. In fact the reason I got the 5000r was because it was on sale for a ridiculous price. I also can't really afford 2 PB10s.

Would it be wise to stick with the 15" sub or perhaps wait for a sale on a Energy s10.3 so I would have 2 of them. I find that the quality of the bass is superior on the Velodyne to a single S10.3.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't have a big budget. In fact the reason I got the 5000r was because it was on sale for a ridiculous price. I also can't really afford 2 PB10s.

Would it be wise to stick with the 15" sub or perhaps wait for a sale on a Energy s10.3 so I would have 2 of them. I find that the quality of the bass is superior on the Velodyne to a single S10.3.
Well if there was a time to get another 10.3, it was then.

I have done extensive listening with both those models, back and both in the same room and I preferred the Energy. It just seemed cleaner. No doubt the 5000R will win the SPL competition, but in your room both should be adequately loud.

SheepStar

Warpdrv

Warpdrv

Audioholic Ninja
Bluesmoke... did you list your room size, and your budget...

There are alternatives.. $600 will get you a eD A5-350 15" that will probably wreck ya... but wait time is into the 2 months range...

Oh cr@p, here I go again... you live in ahhhh up there... :)

Can you get B-Stock..? good deals there yes.. ?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
It's not a good idea to mix and match 2 different subs. It will give you nothing but a ton of headaches.

Be satisfied with what you have right now. You made a very good purchase with that Velodyne, excellent bang for the buck factor.

If you want to go higher up still, wait a couple of years, save up the money to buy a top of the line Velodyne DD series 15inch or 18inch sub.

In the mean time, start enjoying your sub, and stop second guessing your decision, and stop wasting money on lower end subs. "A 10inch will go lower than a 15inch." Yeah right! If you believe that than I have some prime real estate on the moon to sell you.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Bluesmoke... did you list your room size, and your budget...

There are alternatives.. $600 will get you a eD A5-350 15" that will probably wreck ya... but wait time is into the 2 months range...

Oh cr@p, here I go again... you live in ahhhh up there... :)

Can you get B-Stock..? good deals there yes.. ?
14x11x11 is my room size. The reason I got the 5000r was so I could finance some of it ny selling the Energy S10.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
It's not a good idea to mix and match 2 different subs. It will give you nothing but a ton of headaches.

Be satisfied with what you have right now. You made a very good purchase with that Velodyne, excellent bang for the buck factor.

If you want to go higher up still, wait a couple of years, save up the money to buy a top of the line Velodyne DD series 15inch or 18inch sub.

In the mean time, start enjoying your sub, and stop second guessing your decision, and stop wasting money on lower end subs. "A 10inch will go lower than a 15inch." Yeah right! If you believe that than I have some prime real estate on the moon to sell you.
You asked for it...

5000R ground plain from AVtalk.
http://www.avtalk.co.uk/forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=4731

SVS PB-10ISD
http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_4/images/svs-pb10-isd-fr2m.gif

Both microphones are placed 2m from the sub, ground plain. I highly doubt the equipment would make change the results.

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief

I wasn't thinking of matching 2 different subs. My options are:

a) Keep the Velo 5000
b) Keep my Energy S10.3 and add another when they go on sale at Future Shop
c) Get a SVS PB10

So far, I really have no complaints about the Velo 5000r. I love the fact that I can place it where I want and switch phase with the remote. It's so convininent. And its SPLs are nuts! However, as I mentioned, I'm concerned about its abilities to produce low bass in the 20hz-25hz range. I'm not too concerned about the 17-19hz as I know I'll have to shell out a ton of $$$ to get a good sub that can do that. The SVS PB10 is the only one that may within my budget.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
S10.3 spec from energy website 21Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB

i dont think i would replace the 5000R with two of those.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis