The giant is here: Velodyne DLS 5000R 15" Monster

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
---------------
In case you decide to buy SBS from Electronics for Less, based on my expereice I can tell you that you can negotiate the price for the SVS. I have brought an STF-2 from there and paid CAD 50 less than the advertised price. Since the seller will be saving on courier charges in case you pick it up, do not be afraid to make a counter offer.
Where are you seeing SVS subs at Electronics for less?

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
My first suggestion would be to return the Velo and sell the 10.3 and get a PB-12 and have no remorse.

2nd suggestion (if finances permit) sell the 10.3 and get a second Velo 5000r.

When I was running a single HSU VTF 3.2(comparable to the PB-12) in a room close in size to yours it would shake, rattle and roll anything not bolted down.
The Velodyne is no longer on sale for that price. Also, good luck matching the volumes on those subwoofers, no knobs.

His room isn't that Big. 14x11x11 isn't much. A PB-10 should be able to pressurize that no problem.

SheepStar

Last edited:
mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
i have no problem matching the volume of two of those. i just always start at the default setting by resetting the subs.

Bluesmoke, why don't you bring your Velo to sonic boom audio. A/B there and be done with this question. they must have some sort of small office or room you can use. I'm sure even they will welcome a free A/B test with their competition.

Last edited:
F

FIqbal

Audioholic Intern
Where are you seeing SVS subs at Electronics for less?
------------------
On the top right corner of electronics for less webpage there is a link "sonicboomaudio". It sells in the same store, but most likely under a different company name.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
------------------
On the top right corner of electronics for less webpage there is a link "sonicboomaudio". It sells in the same store, but most likely under a different company name.
EFL and Sonicboom are the same store! Sonicboom is EXCLUSIVE to SVS, they share management and ownership.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I'm going to trek down to Sonic boom and have a listen. I'm not going to take my Velo there though. It's just too heavy. I'll have a good idea still.

I really didn't want to spend too much on a sub as I spent way more than I had planned to already with my setup.

I'm going to listen to the PB10 and PB12 there. And God forbid I try the Plus subs. No, I don't think I will do that. :(

Matt34

Matt34

I'm going to trek down to Sonic boom and have a listen. I'm not going to take my Velo there though. It's just too heavy. I'll have a good idea still.

I really didn't want to spend too much on a sub as I spent way more than I had planned to already with my setup.

I'm going to listen to the PB10 and PB12 there. And God forbid I try the Plus subs. No, I don't think I will do that. :(
I think your making a mistake if you don't take your Velo down there with you. For the slight inconvience you will have both subs in the same enviroment with no second guessing about which one performs better.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
I think your making a mistake if you don't take your Velo down there with you. For the slight inconvience you will have both subs in the same enviroment with no second guessing about which one performs better.
I don't have a truck. It won't fit in my car. I was able to borrow my neighbour's van for 5 min to get the Velo (I live across the street from Future Shop). I can't ask him to let me do a 100km trip even if I pay for gas.

In the end I may just keep it. I know I'm probably only getting 30hz+ in my room but its remote operated cool factor and room shaking ability is nice.

Is there a site where I can download quality Mp3s of 20hz or 15hz tones to see how my sub performs?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Have you considered the opportunity cost of your time making a 100km trip? Not to mention the real possibility of sustaining a serious back injury of moving and hauling that 15 inch sub. And who's going to pay the doctor's bills when you do sustain a back injury? Your SVS buddies on this forum?

And you are having doubts about your initial purchase all based on what? Based on what people on an internet forum tell you of a supposedly super 10 inch sub outrumpeting your 15 inch sub? Have you ever stopped for a minute and considered the possibility that all this hype could be just vaporware?

Suppose people on a car forum keep telling you that a Kia is a superior vehicle to your Toyota Sequoia which you just purchased. Would you be willing to go out on a limb and make a 1,000 km trip and return your Sequoia and purchase a Kia?

This is unbelievable.

I don't have a truck. It won't fit in my car. I was able to borrow my neighbour's van for 5 min to get the Velo (I live across the street from Future Shop). I can't ask him to let me do a 100km trip even if I pay for gas.

In the end I may just keep it. I know I'm probably only getting 30hz+ in my room but its remote operated cool factor and room shaking ability is nice.

Is there a site where I can download quality Mp3s of 20hz or 15hz tones to see how my sub performs?

Matt34

Matt34

Regardless of what Furrycute thinks we are trying to pull, I am just trying to help. It sounded to me you weren't incredible happy with the performance of your new Velo hence my recommendation to take it to the SVS shop and do a side by side comparison and let your own ears be the judge.
I was not aware that the store was 60 miles away or of your transportation constraints.

Furrycute,

Your blinding hatred for all things ID has really skewed your perception of what myself and IMO others are trying to accomplish in this thread and that is finding a product, regardless of who makes it, that will suit this gentleman's need.

annunaki

annunaki

Matt34,

A 100km is actually about 62 miles for reference. ;) :D

If he is that unsure about his purchase, doing the comparision will quelch any issues in the back of his head.

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
Your blinding hatred for all things ID
Specifically, I have problems with AV123 and SVS's incessant viral internet marketing.

On the other hand, I much prefer HSU, Axiom, Aperion, and other internet direct marketers' much more benign marketing.

Last edited:
A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
Specifically, I have problems with AV123 and SVS's incessant viral internet marketing.

On the other hand, I much prefer HSU, Axiom, Aperion, and other internet direct marketers' much more benign marketing.
Recommending a product because Company X makes it is dumb.
Recommending against a product because Company X markets it poorly is dumber.

Certainly not buying something because you don't like the company is a completely personal and respectable position. But recommending against a product because of your personal distaste for the company and not the product is a disservice to who you're recommending it to, unless you tell them the reason and let them make up their own mind. The same thing with recommending yet to be released products by a company. How can you recommend something that no one's ever heard?

furrycute

furrycute

Banned
When a company is willing to engage in underhanded sales tactics (viral internet marketing), do you still feel comfortable dealing with that company?

If a company is willing to compromise ethics in order to make some quick bucks, it makes you seriously question what else that same company is willing to compromise in order to beef up their bottom line.

A

abboudc

Audioholic Chief
When a company is willing to engage in underhanded sales tactics (viral internet marketing), do you still feel comfortable dealing with that company?

If a company is willing to compromise ethics in order to make some quick bucks, it makes you seriously question what else that same company is willing to compromise in order to beef up their bottom line.
My experience with both companies you mentioned was not the same as yours. I made my decisions on their products mostly by reading independent reviews, so i wasn't exposed to "viral marketing". The products i bought are well-made, performance is good, and were very competitively priced. When i've needed customer service (which i've needed with both companies), it's been excellent.

Forums fanboys, well that's another matter. Both have their rabid fans, and they're just that -- rabid fans. Most industries have them...there are mercedes fanatics, Sony fanatics, and yes, AV123 and SVS fanatics. Whether or not the company caters to them doesn't really affect the quality of the product, performance of the product, or service provided. So in this instance, i have zero problem buying from them.

Now if they were doing something *I* considered morally wrong (clubbing baby seals, burning down the rainforest, etc), then yes, *I* would have a problem. No two people have the same ethics or have exactly the same viewpoint. The original poster asked what was a better performing sub, not what was the most ethical company. FWIW, neither company to me seems "out to make a quick buck" as you suggest. One cross shipped a $250 replacement part, no questions asked, the other is eating the bill on $300+ worth of freight to right a wrong.

The fanboys can get annoying. While there may be a couple "plants", i think the tenacity of the fanbase makes it appear much worse than it actually is. You can't organize stupidity, it has a way of just spreading on its own...

Recommending against a product that you don't have experience with because you don't like the marketing isn't the answer...it makes you as objective as the fanboy blindly recommending the product.

Last edited:
B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Ok ok. Let's not turn this into which company has ethics and what not.

The fact of the matter is, in Canada, we don't have many - heck ANY online stores to order Speakers and subs from. The only one is Sonic Boom/ Electronics For Less, which is not too far away.

So realistically, and all Canadians here will agree with me: you either buy a sub from a store or get an SVS from Sonic Boom. That's it! And let's face it, for the money, SVS has ZERO competitors in Canada in terms of price because all other sub brands are ridiculously expensive. HSU used to be the go to sub here, I guess but now they're on clearance here.

I haven't said I am unsatisfied with the sub, it's just that I don't really know what sub-20hz sounds like in my room. It will either be "not a big deal" or "WOW! I can't believe I didn't experience this before" type of reaction.

As far as power and SPL goes, No complaints. The Velo 15" IS a monster. It is loud, and shakes the room well. However, I'm wondering how much I'm missing from movies due to the deep bass limitations of this sub. That was my concern. As I said before, I'm going to try and listen to some SVS to see what the hoopla is about.

billy p

billy p

Audioholic Ninja
Bluesmoke for price you got the Velo don't second guess yourself!! Now if you paid full retail, I would say you could of done better. FWIW this hobby is full of second guessing yourself and it appears your happy with you new sub.

Just my 2 cents, Billy p

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Bluesmoke for price you got the Velo don't second guess yourself!! Now if you paid full retail, I would say you could of done better. FWIW this hobby is full of second guessing yourself and it appears your happy with you new sub.

Just my 2 cents, Billy p
There is NO WAY IN HELL I would pay retail $1000CDN for this sub. For that money, I might as well get the PB12 Plus - which I don't think anyone will argue, is better than the 5000r in every way. But I didn't spend $1000. I don't want to spend $1000. I have a budget of $600 and I got the sub with taxes in for little over $520.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Have you considered the opportunity cost of your time making a 100km trip? Not to mention the real possibility of sustaining a serious back injury of moving and hauling that 15 inch sub. And who's going to pay the doctor's bills when you do sustain a back injury? Your SVS buddies on this forum?

The Government.

And you are having doubts about your initial purchase all based on what? Based on what people on an internet forum tell you of a supposedly super 10 inch sub outrumpeting your 15 inch sub? Have you ever stopped for a minute and considered the possibility that all this hype could be just vaporware?
Supposedly? I just linked 10 graphs showing the unbiased performance of both subwoofers.

Suppose people on a car forum keep telling you that a Kia is a superior vehicle to your Toyota Sequoia which you just purchased. Would you be willing to go out on a limb and make a 1,000 km trip and return your Sequoia and purchase a Kia?
Who the HELL would want to gas up a Sequoia? Have you ever driven one of those things? They're bigs! Anyone that owns an SUV of that size needs to be castrated with a hot iron stick.

SheepStar

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis