The giant is here: Velodyne DLS 5000R 15" Monster

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
When a company is willing to engage in underhanded sales tactics (viral internet marketing), do you still feel comfortable dealing with that company?

If a company is willing to compromise ethics in order to make some quick bucks, it makes you seriously question what else that same company is willing to compromise in order to beef up their bottom line.
What marketing? The world of mouth from the happy customers that own the product? Yeah, those sleazy bastards. How dare they please people and offer products that perform well for less then half of the competitions price. There is no God!

SheepStar

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
What marketing? The world of mouth from the happy customers that own the product? Yeah, those sleazy bastards. How dare they please people and offer products that perform well for less then half of the competitions price. There is no God!

SheepStar
he might be referring to the guerilla marketers. those pretending to be real customers.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Update on the 5000R.

I've just got done doing back to back comparisons with my Energy S10.3. For the S10.3, I raised the receiver's Sub levels 3dbls higher than the Velo to get maximum SPL without getting boomy.

Movies include:

War of the Worlds - Pod emergence scene
Star Wars Ep 2 - Ship Landing
Star Wars Ep 3 - Republican Star Destroyer overhead

All three of these scenes go into the 20hz or so and perhaps below in my room. I put the Energy on top of the Velo as well as in its position.

The most obvious observation: The bass on the 5000R is noticably cleaner and more defined than the 10.3. There's a clarity to the bass that's missing from the 10.3. However, my ears felt like they were going to POP from the low bass of War of the Worlds and the Star Wars scenes with the S10.3. I did not get that feeling AT ALL from the Velodyne. It was loud, and the floor shook like hell, but the feeling of being squeezed to death by the bass wasn't there.

So, it looks like the S10.3 goes lower than the Velo. I'm guessing in my room, somewhere in the 19hz-22hz for the Energy and 25-28hz at best in Jazz setting for the Velo.

So, what do I do? I want the pressure cooker sensation of the S10.3 and the clarity and authority of the Velodyne. Right now, it looks like the Velodyne is going back.

annunaki

annunaki

Looks like you need to save up for the SVS PB-12 or go DIY with an Infinity Kappa Perfect VQ or other linear high output driver and quality amplifier.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
yep. the velo has a 24hz subsonic filter.

but I would recommend going straight to something that goes even lower and louder than the NSD's. otherwise, a piecemeal upgrade or half step upgrade will cost even more money.

mouettus

mouettus

Audioholic Chief
yep. the velo has a 24hz subsonic filter.

but I would recommend going straight to something that goes even lower and louder than the NSD's. otherwise, a piecemeal upgrade or half step upgrade will cost even more money.
VTF3-MK3 got rave reviews for that. Add a turbo if you want some more extension.

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
VTF3-MK3 got rave reviews for that. Add a turbo if you want some more extension.
I don't think there's any dealers in Canada who carry the VTF3 MK3. The one I really want is the PB12 Plus in Piano black. Damn you Warpdrive!!! I'm just going to keep my S10.3 and see if there's any sale at Future Shop for the S10 and then add another one. And try the Dual sub first before selling my S10 for a SVS or HSU.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
I don't think there's any dealers in Canada who carry the VTF3 MK3. The one I really want is the PB12 Plus in Piano black. Damn you Warpdrive!!! I'm just going to keep my S10.3 and see if there's any sale at Future Shop for the S10 and then add another one. And try the Dual sub first before selling my S10 for a SVS or HSU.
Does that mean you're taking the Velodyne back?

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
Does that mean you're taking the Velodyne back?

SheepStar
Yea. It's a good sub, but it's an upgrade and downgrade from what I have. I want something that's better than my S10.3 in every way.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yea. It's a good sub, but it's an upgrade and downgrade from what I have. I want something that's better than my S10.3 in every way.
Thats odd that you find it boomier. When I auditioned them it was the opposite. I think I'm going to listen to a bunch of speakers tomorrow and post my thoughts.

SheepStar

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
More testing with Tool's Anema and 10,000 Days (lots of lows and chest pounding bass). U-571, Blackhawk Down Blu-ray and Pirates 1 Blu-ray.

No contest, the Energy S10.3 definately digs deeper and I was able to discover something - I've had the phase wrong the whole time. In my setup -180 degrees works best. I've had the phase at 0 the whole time. Suddenly, the floors started to shake (not as extreme as the 5000R) but a marked improvement.

Yea, the 5000R is definately going back. I'd stick with the S10 for the time being.

Thanks for all the posts, advice and help from the numerous members here. This is why I love coming here.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
More testing with Tool's Anema and 10,000 Days (lots of lows and chest pounding bass). U-571, Blackhawk Down Blu-ray and Pirates 1 Blu-ray.

No contest, the Energy S10.3 definately digs deeper and I was able to discover something - I've had the phase wrong the whole time. In my setup -180 degrees works best. I've had the phase at 0 the whole time. Suddenly, the floors started to shake (not as extreme as the 5000R) but a marked improvement.

Yea, the 5000R is definately going back. I'd stick with the S10 for the time being.

Thanks for all the posts, advice and help from the numerous members here. This is why I love coming here.
Oh yeah I knew it! I was learning about phase yesterday in school.

SheepStar

D

deedubb

Full Audioholic
After reading this post, I'm glad I didn't get the Velo. I had ordered 2 during their sale but canceled the order the following day. I'm still undecided as to what to purchase. SonicBoom's prices are so much more than from SVS direct, but they won't deliver to Canada. HSU prices in comparison seem like a bargain, but I've never heard either of them. Similarly, ED prices seem like a bargain in comparison to SVS.

Someone needs to start up a good Canadian online audio store!

B

Bluesmoke

Audioholic Chief
After reading this post, I'm glad I didn't get the Velo. I had ordered 2 during their sale but canceled the order the following day. I'm still undecided as to what to purchase. SonicBoom's prices are so much more than from SVS direct, but they won't deliver to Canada. HSU prices in comparison seem like a bargain, but I've never heard either of them. Similarly, ED prices seem like a bargain in comparison to SVS.

Someone needs to start up a good Canadian online audio store!
Yea, I'm seriously considering the A2 300 from ED. Looking at this chart, I don't want to beleive it for $375US.

Sheep

Sheep

Audioholic Warlord
Yea, I'm seriously considering the A2 300 from ED. Looking at this chart, I don't want to beleive it for $375US.

That graph doesn't have many date points... I would wait for 3rd party measurements (Not Craigsub) and see if they use the standard 24/octave vs that 6/octave.

SheepStar

annunaki

annunaki

I would also question is those are anechoic measurements. Mike C stated that they have posted other graphs as well for the A-750(?) and they were called "power response" graphs. Whatever that means.

The only graphs I like to see are anechoic as they all have the same baseline for judgment. "Ground plane" is a very close second, and "nearfield in-room" a distant third.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
the A2-300 graph above is in-room nearfield I think.

the power response graphs are purely theoretical (wishful thinking) :)
i'm trying to get a hold of a PB13 Ultra to see how it does vs. my custom designed ultra killer ... I mean ... A7-450.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis